Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 46 1 2 3 4 45 46
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
DawnEagle and all....here is a link to Grandfather Joseph Flying Bye. There really isn't a lot about him. This is the most informative one I could find. Please note; I am in no way affiliated or connected with Center Records, although I have purchased two of his recordings and I highly recommend them to anyone who wants better understanding of Chanupa.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hello to all who join us at this campfire,
I hope you are having a wonderful day!

I want to remind you that tomorrow morning is the New Moon (Thunder Moon) at 8:03am EDT. This is a good time to work on protection, such as smudging your sacred space.

Today I will share another favorite story of mine. Enjoy!

Spider Rock - A Dine/Navajo Tale

Spider Rock stands with awesome dignity and beauty over 800 feet high in Arizona's colourful Canyon de Chelly National Park (pronounced da Shay). Geologists of the National Park Service say that "the formation began 230 million years ago.

Windblown sand swirled and compressed with time created the spectacular red sandstone monolith. Long ago, the Dine (Navajo) Indian tribe named it Spider Rock.

Stratified, multicolored cliff walls surround the canyon. For many, many centuries the Dine (Navajo) built caves and lived in these cliffs. Most of the caves were located high above the canyon floor, protecting them from enemies and flash floods.

Spider Woman possessed supernatural power at the time of creation, when Dine (Navajo) emerged from the third world into this fourth world.

At that time, monsters roamed the land and killed many people. Since Spider Woman loved the people, she gave power for Monster- Slayer and Child-Born-of-Water to search for the Sun-God who was their father. When they found him, Sun-God showed them how to destroy all the monsters on land and in the water.

Because she preserved their people, Dine (Navajo) established Spider Woman among their most important and honoured Deities.
She chose the top of Spider Rock for her home. It was Spider Woman who taught Dine (Navajo) ancestors of long ago the art of weaving upon a loom. She told them, "My husband, Spider Man, constructed the weaving loom making the cross poles of sky and earth cords to support the structure; the warp sticks of sun rays, lengthwise to cross the woof; the healds of rock crystal and sheet lightning, to maintain original condition of fibres.
For the batten, he chose a sun halo to seal joints, and for the comb he chose a white shell to clean strands in a combing manner." Through many generations, the Dine (Navajo) have always been accomplished weavers.

From their elders, Dine (Navajo) children heard warnings that if they did not behave themselves, Spider Woman would let down her web- ladder and carry them up to her home and devour them!
The children also heard that the top of Spider Rock was white from the sun-bleached bones of Dine (Navajo) children who did not behave themselves!

One day, a peaceful cave-dwelling Dine (Navajo) youth was hunting in Dead Man's Canyon, a branch of Canyon de Chelly. Suddenly, he saw an enemy tribesman who chased him deeper into the canyon. As the peaceful Dine (Navajo) ran, he looked quickly from side to side, searching for a place to hide or to escape.

Directly in front of him stood the giant obelisk-like Spider Rock. What could he do? He knew it was too difficult for him to climb. He was near exhaustion. Suddenly, before his eyes he saw a silken cord hanging down from the top of the rock tower.
The Dine (Navajo) youth grasped the magic cord. which seemed strong enough, and quickly tied it around his waist. With its help he climbed the tall tower, escaping from his enemy who then gave up the chase.

When the peaceful Dine (Navajo) reached the top, he stretched out to rest. There he discovered a most pleasant place with eagle's eggs to eat and the night's dew to drink.

Imagine his surprise when he learned that his rescuer was Spider Woman! She told him how she had seen him and his predicament. She showed him how she made her strong web-cord and anchored one end of it to a point of rock. She showed him how she let down the rest of her web-cord to help him to climb the rugged Spider Rock.

Later, when the peaceful Dine (Navajo) youth felt assured his enemy was gone, he thanked Spider Woman warmly and he safely descended to the canyon floor by using her magic cord. He ran home as fast as he could run, reporting to his tribe how his life was saved by Spider Woman!

Source (and a great site for Native American Lore!):
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
_
_
Halito...
hello everyone, i was just reading the stories and can feel the peace here and decided to ask if could join the circle. i havent been here in a while and love to return and catch up on everything.
i dont have much to add to the get together, but am glad to be among friends. perhaps each of us can tell of where we live and how our summer has been up to this point.
i live in the panhandle of texas and the weather here this year has been very good to us. lots of rain and very little heat. our gardens are blossoming and the dove and other birds are plentiful, and beautiful as well. havent been on vacation as of yet this year dont know if we will have time to venture far nor the funds, perhaps a short camping trip would be nice. i recently wss in santa fe and speaking of smudging noticed that several peoples were selling smudge sticks, one of the elder nattive americans who had them to sell told me he starts his day everyday cleansing and purifying his home and his space. he shared with me his ingredients for his smudge sticks and i am going to look around and try and make some like he was using, the smells and aromas, seemed to take you to another place..it was a good visit...well i am glad to be among good people and friends and look forward to more stories and learning about those of us here in the circle..in the spriti of our ancestors..

AS ALWAYS I WISH YOU ENOUGH..."Ompi"
Elephant
Elephant
*passes around rice krispy treats with mini m&m's*

Hello all. My name is Jase. Yes, I may have been born Jason, but the person I am is Jase.

I come from a HUGE family, however, it seems my family is so small now. After loosing the people I called mom and dad, it seems I became the unnoticed one. While they are my blood and I love them, they seem to have stopped loving or even noticing me. I am thankful for my siblings from my birthmother. They are not only my family but friends.

I want to share with you all that while genetics and blood make us all family, a true family cares not about blood, but the person. Some of the best and most loyal family I have are not related to me by blood. They are my family of choice, not circumstance, and to them I am always grateful.

So, anyone like to cook?

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Hello All,

Am I too late for the campfire? I bring peace and blessings from the Creator with me. I have no Native American tales to tell but enjoy "listening" to your stories here. I love to cook, Jase but am not a chef by any means, I could be if I ever chose to go that route, but I am happy just making and dressing up meals here for the family when I can.

My name is Vance and I am in training right now to be the new editor for the pro wrestling forum here at Bella.

I live in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan about a half mile from the Saginaw Chippewa Reservation and I am very good friends with the Tribal Chief, Mr. Fred Cantu and his wife Denise.

I bring some baked chicken with a hint of lemon butter to the fire for everyone to enjoy.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Good Morning everyone, and welcome to the campfire!

Jase, as always, glad you are here smile I agree with you about family, I have family members all across the country, very few connected by blood. I think you choose your family.

OMPI, Amadeus, welcome, we are glad you have joined us.
And those rice crispy treats and the baked chicken sound wonderful!

I am a former chef, and still love to cook, just not under the direction of others (haha!). I come bringing breakfast, New Mexico style: Huevos Rancheros with chipotle chicken, fresh refried beans, fried potatoes, and homemade green chile sauce. I hope you like it hot!

OMPI, you are in Texas panhandle - that's not too far from Albuquerque. Good to know a neighbor!

So far this summer has been extraordinarily hot here, and we still await the monsoon season, yet the garden is growing well. I pulled a foot long zucchini the other day - it's huge! And no growth hormones... I have not done much with the summer myself, but wanting to get some camping time in soon. I like the hot springs here up in Jemez, Navajo Lake up in the four corners area, and Canyon de Chelley just over in Arizona, and am hoping to get to them all sometime soon.

I have not been to Santa Fe in a while. I will have to go up there and look for the Elder with the magical smudge sticks!

And speaking of birds, I have all kinds of them here. I live right on the Rio Grande, next to the bosque, and all the water fowl frequent these parts, as well as plenty of chickadees, junco's and doves. I even have a white dove that visits occassionally.

Amadeus, glad you have joined us here at BellaOnline. Welcome! Your connection to the Chippewa Reservation sounds interesting. Maybe you have some stories to share? heehee! I'm always looking for a story!

I will be back a little later today with a story for everyone. In the meantime, enjoy your Sunday. I hope it is filled with plenty of love and laughter!

Peace and Blessings to all who enter here,

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Good Morning everyone!

I hope all is well on this beautiful day. The birds are chirping, Grandfather Sun is shining brightly, and we got a little rain yesterday...it should be a great day!

As usual, the day got away from me yesterday, and I forgot to come back and post the story I promised. Here it is, another one of my favorites smile

Colors

Once upon a time the colors of the world started to quarrel: all
claimed that they were the best, the most important, the most useful, the favorite.

GREEN said: "Clearly I am the most important. I am the sign of life and of hope. I was chosen for grass, trees, leaves - without me, all animals would die. Look over the countryside and you will see that I am in the majority."

BLUE interrupted: "You only think about the earth, but consider the sky and the sea. It is the water that is the basis of life and drawn up by the clouds from the deep sea. The sky gives space and peace and serenity. Without my peace, you would all be nothing."

YELLOW chuckled: "You are all so serious. I bring laughter, gaiety, and warmth into the world. The sun is yellow, the moon is yellow, the stars are yellow. Every time you look at a sunflower, the whole world starts to smile. Without me there would be no fun."

ORANGE started next to blow her trumpet: "I am the color of health and strength. I may be scarce, but I am precious for I serve the needs of human life. I carry the most important vitamins. Think of carrots, pumpkins, oranges, mangoes, and pawpaws. I don't hang around all the time, but when I fill the sky at sunrise or sunset, my beauty is so striking that no one gives another thought to any of you."

RED could stand it no longer. He shouted out: "I am the ruler of all of you - I am blood - life's blood! I am the color of danger and of bravery. I am willing to fight for a cause. I bring fire into the blood. Without me, the earth would be as empty as the moon. I am the color of passion and of love, the red rose, the poinsettia and the poppy."

PURPLE rose up to his full height. He was very tall and spoke with great pomp: "I am the color of royalty and power. Kings, chiefs, and bishops have always chosen me for I am the sign of authority and wisdom. People do not question me - they listen and obey."

Finally, INDIGO spoke, much more quietly than all the others, but
with just as much determination: "Think of me. I am the color of
silence. You hardly notice me, but without me you all become
superficial. I represent thought and reflection, twilight and deep water. You need me for balance and contrast, for prayer and inner peace."

And so the colors went on boasting, each convinced of his or her own superiority. Their quarreling became louder and louder.

Suddenly there was a startling flash of bright lightening - thunder rolled and boomed. Rain started to pour down relentlessly. The colors crouched down in fear, drawing close to one another for comfort.

In the midst of the clamor, rain began to speak: "You foolish colors, fighting amongst yourselves, each trying to dominate the rest. Don't you know that you were each made for a special purpose, unique and different? Join hands with one another and come to me."

Doing as they were told, the colors united and joined hands. The rain continued: "From now on, when it rains, each of you will stretch across the sky in a great bow of color as a reminder that you can all live in peace. The rainbow is a sign of hope for tomorrow."

And so, whenever a good rain washes the world, and a rainbow appears in the sky, let us remember to appreciate one another.

Based on a Native American Legend

From Blue Panther Keeper of Stories, an MSN group

If anyone else would like to share a story, joke, or a little wisdom here, feel free. I now pass the Talking Stick...

In peace,

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
There was this hunter and he was a devout atheist. He never wanted anything to do with God or anyone who spoke of God.

Well, one day whilst on a hunt, a large grizzly bear came up behind him, knocked him down and stood over him. The bear raised a claw into the air and was about to swipe and kill the hunter when the man said, "Dear God, please hgelp me."

Suddenly, everything stopped. The wind stopped blowing, the bear was frozen, the birds stopped singing and a voice boomed from the sky:

All of your life, someone has tried to tell you about me and you wanted nothing to do with me, now that you are in danger, you ask for my help. Tell me, why should I help you?

The hunter thought for a moment and said, "Well, if you won't help me, will you at least make the bear a Christian?"

God spoke again and said, "It is done".

Everything started moving again and the bear lowered his paw. The hunter was happy until the bear said, "Dear Father, for this meal I am about to receive, I am truly grateful..."

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Good one Amadeus. Good one. You made me laugh out loud! DawnEagle...you're stories are wonderful. Always a lesson.....but that's what they're all about, aren't they? Life's lessons taught in a gentle and good way.

My summer has been rather eventful, I'd say. Granddaughter born (actually THAT was is January....) but it's July and she's still growing and becoming more and more beautiful.

May brought a learning 'powwow' at Camp Perry in Ohio; hosted by the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. We (and many others) spent the weekend with hundreds of kids and parents teaching them about the old ways; telling stories; explaining about Regalia....singing, drumming. It was a good weekend. Those kids were really interested and wanted to know about the Native ways.

June gave us another Powwow in Franklin, Ohio. Fantastical!! Good things happened that weekend, too. A friend gifted me with a Blue Heron wing fan that he had made. I'll cherish it always.

Found out my sister has pheochromocytoma. It's a cancer of the adrenal gland and she and her doctors are making preparations for its removal. I've had several conversations with Creator about this. I'd like to ask everyone to share a prayer for her if it isn't assumtive to ask. Her name is Chris. I love her very much.

Another Powwow this coming weekend near Toledo. We'll camp. Hope there are lots of drums 'cuz that means lots of opportunities for dancing!

My husband and I rebuilt our sweat lodge last weekend and our friend from Cincinnat came to pour water for us. It turned out to be only my David and John; I kept the fire...I know that isn't traditional....but it was all done in a good and respectful way. It's all good.

Food! I don't like to cook it, but I love to eat it! I like to bake, so David and I fit together nicely in the kitchen. He cooks; I eats and cleans up. Works out well.

Jase, you are so right about family. I don't come from a large family; strangely enough I don't come from a 'broken home', either. Somewhat dysfuntional....but intact. Of course, I love them all. I'm closer to my brother, I believe. We were kinda made out of the same mold. Since I've been on my Spiritual path; the Red Road Path, however, I've met people who have been my family since the beginning of time. I know some of you will understand that.

Okay, then.....'nough said.

Amadeus....good to see you again. Congrats on your new gig. Jase, I was missing you...Welcome OMPI! DawnEagle, may I take your stories and repeat them to the children? We have another learning powwow in cincinnati this fall, and it would be good to have new stories to tell.

Friends, peace be with each of you. Peace and the gentle warmth of Creator's love.

Conni

Elephant
Elephant
A little boy goes to his father and asks "Daddy, how was I born? "

The father answers: "Well son, I guess one day you will need to find out anyway! Your Mom and I first got together in a chat room on Yahoo. Then I set up a date via e-mail with your Mom and we met at a cyber-cafe. We sneaked into a secluded room, where your mother agreed to a download from my hard drive. As soon as I was ready to upload, we discovered that neither one of us had used a firewall, and since it was too late to hit the delete button, nine months later a little Pop-Up appeared that said: 'You've got Male!'"

Moral of the story - Children aren't always as gullible as you think!

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Page 2 of 46 1 2 3 4 45 46

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.