logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#324909 06/26/07 10:36 AM
DannieT Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been fighting with celiac all my life. Only the doctors never knew what it was. I must have gone through half a dozen diagnosis before they finally figured out what I have.

So now that I know, the real problem starts. I don't know what to eat. The problem is I can't have gluten. It damages my small intestines. So, I have to be careful of what I eat. I even have to be careful of doing things like licking envelopes. Some envelopes have gluten.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of what Celiac is and if they can help me find gluten free foods. I have found cookies I can eat. EZ Gourmet cookies are gluten free. I'm just looking for more to add to my diet.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
DannieT #324918 06/26/07 11:24 AM
-
-
Dannie,

That is really difficult to have to deal with, especially the period it was undiagnosed. The Celiac Disease Foundation at www.celiac.org seems to be a good resource for information - and they have a list of online vendors and various locations that sell gluten free foods, along with many other resources. Additionally, if you go to a grocery store like "Whole Foods" (I'm not sure if there is one in your area) or a health food store, they often have many choices with disclaimers on their products that are gluten free, so they are easy to distinguish. However, there is currently no FDA regulation that defines the term "gluten free". Here is a link from the FDA on the Gluten Free Labeling Proposed Rule where they are proposing to do this-BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

--- #325185 06/27/07 11:02 AM
DannieT Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, that was one of my main problems. Gluten Free as in fat free is frightening. Fat free foods still have fat in them. I don't know how they get away with that labeling.

But, I can't have any gluten! If the rules governing fat free are the same as gluten free, I can get myself in trouble quick.

"20 ppm or more gluten" might seem ok to some. I'll have to talk to my doctor about that. But, shouldn't "Gluten Free" mean without gluten, absolutely no gluten?

I mean, my body is pretty sensitive. I'm not sure if I can tolerate any gluten at all. My doctor certainly says that I shouldn't. But, that can be taken as an extra precaution. I've been finding some gluten free products, like the EZGourmet cookies I mentioned earlier. I've been fine with those. So, I may be able to handle a small 20 ppm or they just might be absolutely gluten free.

DannieT #325456 06/28/07 01:31 PM
-
-
I know what you mean. That's why I pointed that out about there being no current definition regulated by the FDA. The only advice I have is to stick to foods that you absolutely know are gluten free until there is a clear definition (the FDA has a list) and they are hopefully proposing to do this soon. You may also be able to contact the manufacturer of a particular food and ask about the ingredients. There are some good resources at www.celiac.org. Also, sometimes licensed naturopaths and registered dieticians are a great resource for questions such as these, and it wouldn't hurt to make an appointment with one or both. I really hope you find everything you are looking for!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.