Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta
Do you get nightmares everyday?
had you consulted any doctor?

When events first happened, i was having a particularly rough time, and i asked about medication and was put on a six month waiting list. Why the long wait... i don't know. It was ridiculous. But i could not get it when i needed it and by the time i could, i did not want it as the situation was no longer desperate. I have not been to a doctor about the night terrors since then because they could only either prescribe drugs or surgury, and i would do neither. Drugs don't cure, they just manage, and i have serious health problems when i take any... sometimes life threatening situations, so i just won't. I have researched these options and the risk is high for me and the benefits very doubtful anyway.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
Koala
H
Psychology degree is good idea.
What will you do after that?
How many years to get the degree?

I think i could probably finish my B.A. in a year more or less, if i take a particular program i have looked into that would allow me to test out for some of my credits. I have more than two years' worth of credits towards a BA so far. The masters... i don't know how long it would take. It depends on how much i could do online and at my own pace and how much i would have to wait for particular courses to be available.

Tami S Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: hollyelise

Going back to university is actually less for learning and more for getting degrees. I always learn... any environment i learn. I know some stuff that is more useful to me than what i would learn in a classroom, but in life i am disadvantaged without degrees... degrees are "authority." I will enjoy going to school, and perhaps degrees will help me to feel more confident as well.

I also have a lot of talent in art, and an aptitude for math, logic, and physics. But i thought i would study psychology, most likely. Just looking for what degrees would give me the most "passes" to what i might do in the future.

Holly, this is exactly why I decided to go the "coaching" route first. I was able to train at home. It allowed me to get the recognized "credentials" to help people sooner, while using the knowledge and skills I already have. Of course, I learned a lot too! I started the Program in September and had my first paying client by January.

I'm not saying you should go in that direction, but you did bring coaching up earlier and I am curious if you have checked more into the coaching option. Have you found anything that pertains to what you would like to accomplish?

Tami is an Executive Leadership and Business Women's Coach. She invites women to use their genius in business in today's wild economy. http://www.UlimateBusinessCamp.com
Tami S Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Holly and Tami,

Can I interrupt both of you for a moment?
I think that the immediate focus should be the fear that is holding holly back.
The fear that will bring in more nightmares.
In her case there is an equation-

More achievement= more conflict=more fear.
Break this equation .
tami can help you holly.

You are right, cd. But also just my current level of nightmares interferes too much with what i am doing today. When they all went away before... they were just gone. One day... just gone. I have thought much on the key to that... i know i felt secure, loved, supported, whole, stimulated artistically, challenged a little. But obviously i'm missing the understanding needed to make it happen again.

What I've bolded is very interesting. What would it take to add each of those things you said about being "secure, loved, supported, whole, stimulated artistically, challenged a little" back into your life on a practical level?

Tami is an Executive Leadership and Business Women's Coach. She invites women to use their genius in business in today's wild economy. http://www.UlimateBusinessCamp.com
Tami S Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark

I know of two ways (so far) to break through the barrier i feel in living my authentic self.

The first i experienced about 7 years ago. It was a paradigm shift, or actually a series of shifts. It was virtually instantaneous and joyful. This would be my preferred way of doing it now. But i think the environment played a key role in it happening, and the environment is gone. I felt well loved (by husband and friends of many years), encouraged (even challenged in a friendly way), and entirely safe.

The second way is the way i have been doing it these last years, as i have not yet been able to recreate the first: I push myself. I fight the borders of my comfort zone for gain. This way is painful and slow. So slow, in fact, that for the first two years I could see no gain at all. Only over much time am i able to see gain and it is as i said, painful to make gains. The technique is basically challenge and desensitization.

The first situation contrasts with the second in that in the case of the first I did not expect the paradigm shifts, nor does it seem I had much control over creating the situation (but I'm still hoping I can recreate it somehow). I was also greatly enjoying life! In the second option I have control over how often and how hard i push myself forward, but there are reprocussions (night terrors).

So i guess one thing that i would like is feedback on these options, in particular, if there are other options or ways of recreating the first?

From the outside looking in, am I understanding you to say that the first option is the one that really worked for you and the second option really isn't working right now (eg. slow progress and nightmares)?

It sounds to me that you've already stated you would like to look at recreating the first option. You said, "This would be my preferred way of doing it now." So, would you like to go that route?

Holly, I invite you to open up to the "possibility" of getting what you want. If the desire is in your heart, perhaps we should honor your heart and trust the "roadmap" is contained there as well. There is only one way to find out. Let's search!

Would you be willing to set the "intention" to create option #1? (Sometimes the "what needs to happen" comes before the "how".)
Will you please re-state your exact intention in one clear sentence that we can refer back to?

Can you explain the paradigm shift or series of shifts that you are looking to create now?

At the beginning you said "to break through the barrier i feel in living my authentic self."

Would you describe the barrier as "fear" or something else? Please explain.

Wolf
Wolf
Holly, how do you propose to conquer these fears?

Wolf
Wolf
Psychology degree is good idea.
What will you do after that?
How many years to get the degree?

I think i could probably finish my B.A. in a year more or less, if i take a particular program i have looked into that would allow me to test out for some of my credits. I have more than two years' worth of credits towards a BA so far. The masters... i don't know how long it would take. It depends on how much i could do online and at my own pace and how much i would have to wait for particular courses to be available.

When do you propose to join University again?

H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: Tami S

What I've bolded is very interesting. What would it take to add each of those things you said about being "secure, loved, supported, whole, stimulated artistically, challenged a little" back into your life on a practical level?

I don't see how that is much in my control. That is what other people do.

H
Koala
Koala
H

So i guess one thing that i would like is feedback on these options, in particular, if there are other options or ways of recreating the first?

From the outside looking in, am I understanding you to say that the first option is the one that really worked for you and the second option really isn't working right now (eg. slow progress and nightmares)?

It sounds to me that you've already stated you would like to look at recreating the first option. You said, "This would be my preferred way of doing it now." So, would you like to go that route?

Holly, I invite you to open up to the "possibility" of getting what you want. If the desire is in your heart, perhaps we should honor your heart and trust the "roadmap" is contained there as well. There is only one way to find out. Let's search!

Would you be willing to set the "intention" to create option #1? (Sometimes the "what needs to happen" comes before the "how".)
Will you please re-state your exact intention in one clear sentence that we can refer back to?

Tami, are you familiar with Rogerian Therapy? Carl Rogers was a significant psychotherapist and theorist. Among many other contributions, he developed a style of therapy based largely on asking questions that are formed from the client's statements. It is pretty much what you have been doing here. It is helpful in many ways, however, it is not going to be enough to provide me with the answers i need to come up with a workable plan. If all i needed was my brain and questions, i would have solved this issue by now.

I'm not willing to "set the intention of creating option #1" until i know what the plan is. Currently there is no way to facilitate it, so why would i commit? I have been searching for a way to facilitate it for the better part of 7 years so far. I continue to search, because i would like it, but as it stands, it is not viable. This is why i asked you for feedback on both the options i suggested, for suggestions of other options, and of ways of recreating the first option. The second option is working, just not well... but it is viable, which is why i have been doing it. I would like suggestions and opinions, Tami. Not just questions.

H
Koala
Koala
H
Can you explain the paradigm shift or series of shifts that you are looking to create now?

At the beginning you said "to break through the barrier i feel in living my authentic self."

Would you describe the barrier as "fear" or something else? Please explain.

A dictionary definition of paradigm shift:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.