Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#320999 06/10/07 02:29 PM
D
dawnuk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
hello i am dawn from the uk, i have been trying to learn tatting for the past week on my own, i thought i would be better joining a group before i go insane and i do hope someone woud be kind enough to help me please.
i can do the chains and picots using either a ball and a shuttle or just shuttle and they slide up and down but when i come to pull it into a ring it goes wrong it wont pull, i have been searching and following the tuts on the internet and i have a booklet learn tatting with lacet, i can crochet, knit, cross stitch but this really has me fooled, can someone please help.
many thanks in advance dawn x

Sponsored Post Advertisement
dawnuk #322695 06/16/07 10:29 PM
J
J
Hi Dawn.

I think I can help. I, too, can learn anything from a book, but tatting books leave out the one essential piece of knowledge, which is that you have to snap the shiuttle thread over the ring thread, or you get a knot.

If the ring won't pull shut, the problem is that you hae the shuttle thread curled around the ring thread. It has to be the other way round.

Here's how you do it.

Make the ring aroudyour left hand, with the ends held between your thumb and forefinger.
Pass the shuttle under, then over the ring thread.

Relax your left hand slightly so the ring thread is a little loose.

Pull the shuttle thread sharply, so that the shuttle thread is a tense as a harp string. The ring thread will curl around it.

Tighten your left hand fingers [mind you, you still want the shuttle thread curled around the ring thread] so you can pass the shuttle over it easily.

Pass the shuttle over then under the ring thread.

Loosen the ring fingers. Snap the shuttle thread tight, so that the ring thread curls around it.

You'll have a knot that looks like a half-hitch. That's the whole knot.

Make a bunch of others next to it, slide them down the ring, and close the ring. If it won't slide, go back and find the shuttle thread that didn't snap. It takes a coupld of hours to get cofortable with this, then you can tat in the dark and know when the shuttle thread didn't snap

Let me know how you get along. I made a whole gorgeous sumptuous lace border for a christening dress last year, but I have yet to achieve a tatted bonnet.

eliz1588@sbcglobal.net

Julia E. #323841 06/21/07 02:38 AM
D
dawnuk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
hello, thankyou very much, i now realise what i was doing,i was doing the stitch right but i was making it with the shuttle not the hand thread it was`nt flipping, now i can flip lol
many thanks

dawnuk #324621 06/24/07 10:50 PM
B
B
Hi Dawn,

As you live in the U.K. have you tried getting in touch with the Ring of Tatters via the net. They have a network of people who will gladly show/teach you how to tat. The Lace Guild also have tatters as members. Neither organization will insist you become a member.

But don't give up on thses forums either as you can learn many useful tips etc. that don't appear anywhere else and the support is great.

Buzby - Pommie living in Oz.

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.