logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
indigo2's and piscean_goddess' posts reminded me of one of my best friends. Her little boy is 5+ years old. In all that time she has NEVER gone out to dinner or to the movies alone with her husband, much less taken a weekend off alone or anything like that. The only 'alone' time my friend and her husband have (other than in bed, assuming they don't allow the little boy to sleep with them, although I wouldn't doubt it) is when they commute together back and forth from work. I'm not making it up! She told me so herself. Guess how that marriage is going, and how is it going to turn out after baby #2 (she is due any day now)?? All I can say is I wouldn't place my bets on the marriage. I am not a mother, so I will never understand the child obsession, but I know other mothers who defintely have healthier relationships both with their husbands, as well as their children. I agree such an obsession cannot be good for any of the people involved!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: Cookiecody
Wouldn't it be great if some restaurants, especially upscale ones, would institute a rule such as "No children under age of 12 after 8pm" or something like that? I would certainly go to a place like that for a special occasion if I could be guaranteed a wonderful dining experience without the chance of children crying or being loud to ruin the evening. I'm sure childfree people and parents who arranged sitters so they could have a "hot date" would patronize such places.

Cindy

I certainly would. When I go to a white-tablecloth restaurant, I've made that choice at least as much for the atmosphere as for the food. It's nice to know what you're going to get. I like a crayon-and-clown meal with the whole family as much as any doting auntie, but only when I'm prepared for it. When I'm all dressed up and expecting a hot date (or relaxing time) with DH in a good restaurant, I expect a very different experience!

Last edited by emeraldwednesday; 06/05/07 01:02 AM.

"I may not agree with what's on your bumper sticker, but I will fight to the end for your right to stick it." --Unknown
Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm not just CF, I'm also not especially child -friendly. I have a very low threshold of tolerance for today's average "run wild" type of kid. And when I want to go out to eat, it is certainly not a test to see how long it takes me to have to choose between saying something to the parents and leaving... So whenever possible, we plan our restaurant visits late in the evening or in the "dead hours" around 2 or 3pm. We still see some obnoxious kids, but fewer that way.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
L
Koala
Koala
L
myrabeth - I consider myself to be quite kid-friendly, and even I have a low tolerance for a lot of kids these days! I expect kids to be running around when I go to Olive Garden, but if I'm going to a nice $50 a plate restaurant, I don't need to hear some kid on the other side of the room whining that they don't like the food.

And since when is it okay for kids to be running around during meals, anyway? I was never allowed to get up from the table, and when my cousins and I were out we would just play at the table. We felt no need to go running around the restaurant.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I never got up from the table without permission, especially at a restaurant, as a child, either. I don't understand that tendency these days. Not only is it inconsiderate of the other diners, it's dangerous, as little kids often get underfoot of the waitstaff and could cause a dropped tray of hot food, etc.

There's a small restaurant near my house that has prominent signs stating "Children must remain seated unless accompanied by an adult" (to go to the bathroom, for example). I like that!

Cindy

N
Gecko
Gecko
N
I'm not very kid friendly, don't hate them, just don't have the patience required to deal with them. Don't think their antics are all that cute either. Don't want to have to deal w/the results of bad parenting when I'm out either - anywhere.

And yes - I would love "adult swim" hours at nice restaurants!

D
Dez Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I don't think it's a matter of being "kid-friendly" or not, its a matter of respect for other people and the average person doesn't have it anymore so why would their kids have it? You want to know why kids act out like they do? Go to an elementary school when class lets out sometime and watch the parents! Actually, that is its own hell so I wouldn't recommend it, but it certainly is enlightening.

My feeling is that we are now 3 generations removed from the 60's and all the ideas and beliefs and lack of values promoted then are now being passed down to generation 3 and in some cases 4. There's nothing left. It went from being taught values to being taught to speak your mind to being taught only you matter to being taught the world is wrong and you are right. I was at Chuch E Cheese with my kids and saw this young girl, maybe 5, run into her 2 year old brother with her arms outstretched and just keep going without a look backward. Her parents were right there, and neither said a word. Wow the volumes that spoke about their family.

Personally I am of the belief that my children are able to be taught to listen, can walk by me in the store without running away, can sit in a restaurant without yelling or getting up, and can be pleasant and well mannered. Therefore the maximize potential, I don't go out to eat with kids after maybe 7pm...they are too tired to behave well; I bring crayons and quiet things to do, etc. I wish more parents would. But then, I am 3rd generation removed from 1900's because neither my mother nor grandmother jumped right into having children, so my values are "less progressed" than most of my peers.

I completely understand not wanting children around 24/7...I have 2 and love them but frankly could never be a SAHM - I have to work my full 8's lol.

Dez

Dez #319969 06/06/07 09:38 AM
L
Koala
Koala
L
Originally Posted By: Dez
You want to know why kids act out like they do? Go to an elementary school when class lets out sometime and watch the parents! Actually, that is its own hell so I wouldn't recommend it, but it certainly is enlightening.

Dez - I see you are a newbie. As many here know, I live right next door to an elementary school. I cannot begin to tell you the problems I have with parents. They park blocking my driveway and refuse to move, they have parked on my parkway at an angle with all 4 wheels on the grass, they have walked through my gardens, they have had picnics on my lawn, before we had the fence up for the dog I used to find toddlers toddling around between my house and the fence, they stand and watch as their children rip branches off my trees, they stand and talk to their friends on my lawn, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

We have a drop-off zone to "alleviate" this problem. No one knows how to use it. They don't drive through, they let their kids out at the front and then zip back into traffic, practically causing accidents.

Because of this the village put up a NO Parking sign in front of my house. There is one lady who parks there religiously every day. I am thisclose to going out and just asking her just out of curiosity why she parks there (and of course, the police don't enforce the no parking.)

All along the block we have had to put railroad ties and paving stones along our parkways if we want to keep grass there. The neighbors who don't have anything out have giant mud holes for parkways.

And we live in a rich, upscale suburb!

And apparently, (now I've only heard this through the neighborhood grapevine) there is a group of parents who hate me and call me the crazy lady and do things on purpose to aggravate me. They say they are going to call the police with false reports of things like I put spikes in my parkway and ruined all their tires, etc.

Last year the fence was down because the school was putting up a new fence, and parents would just stand 3 feet from me and watch me garden. I said, "can I help you?" and they said no and kept staring. I finally got rid of them by staring right back.

And when they pick their kids up from kindergarten, they sit with them in the playground and let them tease my dogs. A few weeks ago my dog got kicked in the face by kids kicking the fence.

Well, now I have a job at Village Hall working for the cable station, so maybe now that I work for the village the police may actually patrol and give people tickets.

Friday is the last day of school. I am thinking of treating myself to pizza. Unfortunately, I won't be home to see the show (last year was the year that they all parked on my parkway and there were a dozen kids and their parents eating a picnic lunch on my front lawn.)

Sorry for the ramble, but this is a very sore subject for me, and a BIG reason why I don't want kids. Why on earth would I want to associate with jerks like this all the time?

Shark
Shark
OMG ln- I'm surprised you haven't gone postal by now! I think I would have!

"I may not agree with what's on your bumper sticker, but I will fight to the end for your right to stick it." --Unknown
Dez #319980 06/06/07 10:39 AM
G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
This is one of my biggest objections to becoming a parent: being forced to deal with obnoxious parents. I completely agree with you, Dez. Adults are completely entitled and out of control, so it's no surprise that their kids are too. As a kid, I wasn't allowed to run wild in restaurants - even "family friendly" ones. I was expected to behave in public.

This is a big issue among my friends with kids - i.e. friends who buck the trend and insist that their kids behave. It's really challenging for them to discipline their kids while so many obnoxious parents just let their kids do whatever.

I think I'd lose my mind if I had to interact with some of these horrible parents.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.