Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 134 1 2 3 4 5 6 133 134
D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
Could you give me some tips on teaching?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Do you teach also, das? I think most of us teach whether or not we're a "teacher."

To teach better, i just try to remember 3 things:

1. Enjoy it. Enjoy your subject. Enjoy your students. Help them to enjoy it. Everyone learns and works much better when they are having a good time and are interested in what they are doing.

2. Help them to feel competent. Nothing hinders learning faster than when a student feels they can't learn or aren't good at doing things. This will not only help them in the subject you are teaching. If you help them to feel confident in just that one area, it will help them to feel more confident in their life as a whole.

3. Talk to each student individually every time you see them. Find out where they are at in their studies or project, what they want to do or learn next, if they need you, and how they are doing outside of class. If they don't show up... find out why. Show you care. At the beginning of each class, i check in with each student. Near the end, i ask each if they need any clarification or help on what they will be doing before i see them again.

That's it.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Oh... perhaps there is one more. I know my students continually say how much they appreciate that i'm patient. But that i think, goes with No. 2.

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
Thank you so much.
Tell me, do you find the rate of progress of your worst students?
Is that better than average?

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
My "worst" students are happy, and they progress on their projects and learning. That's really what matters to me. I don't really have other groups to compare them to, but one of my students went to another yarn shop (much bigger) about 45 minutes away and she told me when she was asked where she took knitting classes and she said with me, that they responded, "ooooooooooh, so you're an ADVANCED student!" hahahaha, and we all thought that was very funny, but it was also very flattering. That store has been trying to get me to teach there too, but it's a long commute.

I mostly let my students progress at their own rate but i've learned some sneaky little tricks to get them to try things beyond what they realize they can do. One of those things they tease me about now... hahaha.... whenever they ask me how hard something is, i always say, "that's easy!" I also keep looking for new things and doing demonstrations of interesting techniques... this peaks their interest and makes it look not as difficult to do. I've found that if i can get even one of the students to try a technique on a project, that the others will then follow. So first often i will make a class just try the technique on scrap yarn, and then often one of them will decide to try it in their next project. I guess you'd call this baby steps. smile

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
You look like a real good teacher. A great teacher!

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
I just enjoy it a lot. Being good at something comes with enjoying it, i think, and it's so easy when i'm able to make them happy. laugh

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
Yes. Why are you looking for happiness on such boards then? You can get all that from your teaching and students.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
I like to read, and learn, and i like to write. And i get lonely. I have good friends, but don't get to see them much either because they live far away or because they have families and children that they are busy with. I live alone. My family, unfortunately, never took interest in me. I was happily married for many years, but he became mentally ill and dangerous to me. We did not have children. We divorced, and since then, i've looked for a mate, but not found the right person. I've had several offers... but it just isn't in me to be with someone just because i'm lonely. We have to be right for each other, and I want to feel they are the right one, that the two of us are really an "us," not just partnering up for convenience... does that make sense?

I like people, and like being around them. I come home to an empty house and wake to one...except for my cat, and he's not much of a conversationalist. laugh ...It's very nice to have this board! Now i can wake up and talk to people who even become a bit familiar, and talk to them again at the end of the day. I look forward to it. smile

I know Mr. Mohatta suggested you visit this board. I'm so glad you are here. Are you enjoying it?

Here are things i'm looking forward to today:

It's a beautiful day, and when the sun gets lower i'll go for my long walk along the trail that used to be railroad tracks. It cuts through a little forest, and then past large back yards, and then finally past farm fields. I usually see interesting animals, birds, and plants when i walk. Today i am thinking of my friends, and i might call or write to some of them. And i'll be reading and working to finish some of my projects... which is always exciting.

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
Yes. I am enjoying meeting lovely people like you. I have been told many things about you. Very happy to talk to you.

Page 4 of 134 1 2 3 4 5 6 133 134

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.