Print Thread
#313295 05/14/07 11:59 AM
LML Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I'm wondering if anyone else is enjoying The Dresden Files series on SciFi. I just started reading Strom Front over the weekend and had trouble putting it down. I'm impressed with how well the series reflects the tone of the writing. (especially after how much SciFi screwed up Earthsea!) I wish I had found this series when it first came out because now I have too many to read smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
LML #313343 05/14/07 03:00 PM
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Hi, Laura. Yes, absolutely, I'm enjoying The Dresden Files series on the SciFi channel. I read all the books about a year before the show was developed. (In fact, my website partner developed a Dresden Files Concordance on our Snortyville website if you're curious.) It has been very interesting to see how loosely based the series is on the books. I mean, the show is going one way and the books are going another, both equally valid. The only point of intersection was the "Storm Front" episode, originally intended to be the pilot, that was based on the first Jim Butcher book, and even that had a lot of changes.

My website partner and I are more familiar with the books, so it has sometimes been hard to accept the t.v. version. We both think that Paul Blackthorne is perfect as Harry Dresden -- exactly what we had imagined. But we've had big problems with Bob. In the books, Bob came off as sort of a dirty old man or aging frat boy. In the t.v. series, he seems too prissy like the disapproving butler. I wrote an article on this for our website and inadvertantly caused a minor fuss in the SciFi.com forum (amongst fans who had Googled and found the article) in a 13-page thread devoted to how wonderful (t.v version) Bob is. Wow, who would guess there would be so many passionate fans?

Another problem we've had is Morgan. He's way better-looking in the t.v. version than in the books, but not nearly "hard-bitten" enough in our opinion. But we love Blackthorne, his subterranean apartment, Lt. Murphy and the rest of the Chicago PD, and we especially loved Claudia Black in the episode "The Other D***" She was fabulous (just as she was in Farscape), and we'd love to see her become a regular.

Oh, I like your comparison to the SciFi version of LeGuin's Earthsea books -- I can tell that you were as appalled by it as I was. Good golly, it was awful. One of LeGuin's biggest public gripes about what the SciFi Channel did her books was that they changed the ethnicity of her characters (all of whom were supposed to either be black, or have a Tibetan/Native American look), and made her characters white (all of them, and not just the Kargs who were supposed to be white). LeGuin didn't want her readers to think she had "sold out", so she spoke up against this change (and many others) on her own website.

MB2345 #314495 05/17/07 08:40 PM
LML Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Yeah, I noticed a big difference in Bob just from what I've read so far. I like the visual in the book of the talking skull smile I like the TV Bob but I can see already that he's very different. And you're right about Morgan too-- he's much better looking that described. Paul Blackstone is perfect as Harry.

I remember reading LeGuin's website after Earthsea aired. I was disappointed too that they changed all the ethnicities. You don't see much racial variety in fantasy. It's a shame that SciFi channel homogenized it.

LML #314724 05/18/07 02:59 PM
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
I liked the talking skull in the books, too. I think they tried it in the t.v. series, and it just looked too cheesy! So they had to create an actual persona for Bob, and then have him kind of swirl back into his skull when ordered. But for me, this is way too reminiscent of I Dream of Jeannie -- if anyone even remembers THAT t.v. show anymore! smile

Moderated by  SF/FBooks Evelyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.