Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Shark
Shark
M
Thanks Jan. This is wonderful help. The funny thing is that the doc. denied all concerns. I just moved here and this is the only doc. in the area currently taking new patients. Have you tried Feingold? Is it necessary to pay for a membership, or will making your own meals, with sense, suffice?

Finding time for yourself can become a quest to find yourself. And the deeply important getting exercise- No Y in the country. I had to tie a rope around my waist and the sled handle, then crosscountry ski without poles, so no one lost an eye!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
You can start out for $15 by just buying this book!! smile

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

K
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
K
Do get your child tested. Do consider homeopathy and everything else before taking drugs. I do know kids for whom the drugs turned them into straight-A students.

And drugs aren't the be-all and end-all, either. Behavior modification is necessary, too.

Please Read "Running on Ritalin." Dr. Diller isn't pro-drugs, but he's not totally anti either. His approach is to look at family dynamics first.
Good luck!

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Michael has Asperger's, but the meds he is on are similar to ADD meds. He takes Adderall XR, Abilify, and Trileptal.

With Michael it is more than just innatentiveness or "acting out" in class. When not on medications (or when we were on the wrong ones) he has a violent rages. The whole reason we are homeschooling this year, is because at the end of last year he went through a hormone flux, and his doctor tried changing some meds to see if that would help with his increasing temper and agitation. It backfired. The doctor changed him to Zoloft - and he had a horrid reaction. The rages worsened and he acutally attacked me. We both wound up in the ER that night, me for my injuries, and Michael to calm him down.

He wound up in the psychiatric facility that his doctor is the head of for about a week. We now know he can't take any seratonin-uptake inhibitors (Zoloft, Prozac, etc.) and also had to be taken off of Risperdal.

He decided that he was not ready for the social pressures of High School -so we did this year homeschooled. He wants to go back to public school next year, though.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Parakeet
Parakeet
But there is no test.

Originally Posted By: Kat Wilder
Do get your child tested. Do consider homeopathy and everything else before taking drugs. I do know kids for whom the drugs turned them into straight-A students.

And drugs aren't the be-all and end-all, either. Behavior modification is necessary, too.

Please Read "Running on Ritalin." Dr. Diller isn't pro-drugs, but he's not totally anti either. His approach is to look at family dynamics first.
Good luck!

M
Shark
Shark
M
My son's symptom was extreme shyness. The teachers ignored him. for his sake. (Frustrating) He is getting better, (they call it daydreaming now) but the snowball effect is really moving now. We moved to a larger town and his character was seen in a new light.

The doctor feels certain he could be an A student. What sticks with me is if he were an athlete, and took performance enhancing drugs, it would be a terrible thing, but in the interest of pushing kids through a school system that doesn't work, drugs are Great.

In what I have read about inattentiveness he is there, but I will definitely try diet instead; although I don't know what is left to eat after subtracting the "bad" products.

Thanks for your generosity Jen, and everyone! I have 3 boys 10-14. I make 2 (now I am not wholly certain) healthy meals a day. The boys pack a lunch. They only want processed meat sandwiches or microwave [censored].

I eat well myself, I can't stand most of what they ask for. When they get home from school they will eat a box of crackers, yogurt, fruit, veges, rice chips, and a pita or sandwich. Then dinner. A couple of hours after dinner they will pack away another pound and a half of snacks.

They are all muscular, active boys. The problem is having enough easy to grab foodstuffs available. I need a half ton every day.

Sorry to turn this forum to be all about ME!

I think a woman's road to doing something for herself is a different road for everyone. It also depends on many things (Like a treadmill) the speed you are presently traveling determines your "style" of thinking. Myself, I began (gung-ho) a few weeks ago to make vast leaps forward career wise. BUT, something inside me is dragging me into this s l o w introspection. I am trusting this is important and so feel no guilt following this lazy soul search, however, it is difficult to trust yourself enough to reexamine your being, and follow through the dark, moneyless, tunnel to reinvention. But, if I don't accept this sojourn, won't I just be battling myself? These are also the things that make women unhappy.

Humph, wonder why my child has thinking issues!

Parakeet
Parakeet
Are you against homeschooling?

Also, if you don't mind me saying so, they can only eat the processed snacks if you buy them. I hope you know I'm saying with kindness--not as an accusation. smile

Have you tried natural snacks like Bumblebars or Betty Lou's. Their stuff is SO good:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by JanZeiger; 05/17/07 10:35 AM.
M
Shark
Shark
M
Absolutely! School does not meet his needs. I determine his needs, go to the teacher, explain what would make a world of difference, she will say no problem, and then is not be able to perform. Teachers seems to get caught in the day to day grind, I guess. I intellectually know that home schooling is the answer, but I am overwhelmed and afraid. I am still traumatized from preschool days with three boys, in trying to make order from chaos. Could I do it.

I do buy good food. Just not pure food. I need a course. I can't find, and had given up looking for things I would like. I don't understand labels and my weekly budget, as we go through vast amounts of food, is not unlimited. It is just soo frustrating. I am Canadian, and stores here suck for the pure at heart. I can leave the grocery store very, very sad. Also, I like to cook when I want to. I need to not be tied to the kitchen. However, if health is an issue that is different. I thought kids could handle a little processed, as a stage they would pass through. My oldest son is already coming along a bit.

I have never bought anything online. I asked for a low limit credit card once, so I would dare try. But credit card companies being what they are gave me a substantial amount. So I said, "forget it!"

M
Shark
Shark
M
PS. It's not all processed food, apparently it's ketchup, pickles, meat, fish, sauce ingredients. And a lot of juice, and milk. I spend 4-7$ a day for (I guess, poor quality) milk. So to supplement, I had been buying half of all juice in cheaper brands. A good 1/2 gallon of juice costs 4$ and is finished in about 2-3 hours. We do drink lots and lots of water.

They have been getting one bottle of pop and one bag of chips every friday night (movie night)

K
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
K
Well, if you get a complete battery of tests � I believe it's called NEPSY � you do get a peek into what may be going on as far as motor skills (fine and gross); sensory issues; verbal and nonverbal issues, etc.

I hadn't heard of the Feingold program you mention. Looks interesting, and I imagine it might be helpful for some ADHD (because I think way too many kids are labeled that when the aren't), but I know of kids with ADD here in organic-local-sustainable-eco-friendly No. California whose diets have been healthy from Day 1 and they still have ADD. So, that clearly isn't the total answer. (although no one should allow their kids to eat most of the junk out there, whether packaged or fast food . ugh!)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.