Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Do you mean "74"?

They are not rare at all. Since hardly any Harley owners actually ride their bikes, they tend to last a real long time.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
What type of mileage do you feel is riding your bike per year?

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Hey, thanx fopr making this an actual discussion.

Let me preface by saying I am joking, certainly there must be some HD riders who put as much time running their wheels as revving the engine at BBQs. (That's another one of our jokes - 2,500 miles on the bike, 25,000 on the throttle)

I would think around 5,000 is a good figure for annual mileage. Thatis about 1/3 the mileage the average automobile driver puts on annually.

That's less than couple of hundred miles a week during a truncated six month riding season. I note that while some do limit this way, we know that there is more than six months riding weather almost everywhere in the US.

Couple of hundred miles is what - 3-4 hours in the saddle? How can one even learn to ride without spending that kind of time doing it? Geez, people practice soccer more than that.

(To give you an idea, I don't race, I don't hole shot, I don't skid to a stop, (if I don't have to) and I go through a couple rear tires a year).

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I put that and then some. I am not much on skidding to a stop, although I have had to do that now and then when I haven't gauged a stoplight correctly or in emergency situations and then so far I have had control (fortunately for everyone). I also practice fast stops to help make it automatic.

Do you group ride? I prefer to go with a couple of friends rather than a large group.

Again thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I have to admit, just this weekend I say two(2) 2 2004 HDs with 40k plus on them. I will also admit, that's the first time I ever saw two such high mileage HArley's in one day.

I saw them at the dealer having one of the couple of rear tires a year I mentioned installed.

Owwww! $167 - just for the rubber.

I mostly ride solo, occasionally with a few friends. My riding friends pretty much gave it up, and since it really is pretty much a solo activity, I haven't bothered to find anyone else to ride with.

A
A
Don't drink and ride.... Drink alot of coffee though. We usually hit all the coffee shops in the the area. Getting a DUI is improbable. A speeding ticket? is a distinct possibility.

Loud pipes? I ride a 2000 Dyna Superglide with Python 3 pipes that are very broken in, so they've developed a "deep" rumble.
LOVE THEM. They've gotten me out more than a few scrapes when cagers arn't paying attention or are on their cell phones. Gets their attention.

I don't ride early morning... and I try to be quiet if I roll into my neighborhood late. I don't play with the throttle quite as much.

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
"Python 3 pipes that are very broken in

If your exhaust sounds differently now than when you first installed it, I have to tell you that your pipes are not "broken in", they are just broken.

There is no such thing as "breaking in" an exhaust system.

A
A
What constitute's "Broken"?

BTW... I do ride a Harley... and it's got over 66K miles on it.
and I'd probably put more miles on him if "Winter" wouldn't keep interupting the love affair every year.

Last edited by Am Z; 03/20/08 04:05 PM.
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I don't know what constitutes broken in your case. I do know that you said you have an exhaust system that is "very broken in" and has "developed a very deep rumble"

As stated:

"If your exhaust sounds differently now than when you first installed it, I have to tell you that your pipes are not "broken in", they are just broken.

There is no such thing as "breaking in" an exhaust system"

IOW, there is no reason that an exhaust system should develop a different note or sound. As long as it is operating properly and no modifications are made, it will sound the same from installation to replacement.

"BTW... I do ride a Harley" Ah. That explains what you meant by "I ride a 2000 Dyna Superglide "

Last edited by FrankJBN; 03/20/08 04:28 PM.
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
"I'd probably put more miles on him"

Grr. Pet peeve of mine. Motorcycles are not girls, they are not boys or men.

They are machines. IOW, they are "its", not hims or hers.

I don't accept animals as equivalent to people, I damned well won't accept machines as such.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.