logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
I love beer; specifically micro-brew. I love how it looks, I love how it tastes, I love how it smells, and I love how it makes me feel.

I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin at a time when it was the beer capital of the US (Yes, I am old). My grandfather worked as a guard at one of the breweries and we would get free samples of prototype beer. Mmmmmm! My mouth waters at the thought of it. Everyone drank; no one thought much of it. Many people would go to church on Sunday, and then go to the local bar. Getting drunk was fun and funny. It was something to brag about. Did I mention that I went to a lot of funerals when I was in high school?

I love riding a motorcycle. I love how my motorcycle looks (BMW K1200LT), I love how my motorcycle feels, and I love the smell of the outdoors when I am riding it (well, most of the time). I love speed. I love curves and the rush of acceleration, with the bike just consuming the road.

I love life. I realize that what I do affects the people that I love, who love and depend on me; therefore, I never drink and ride.

I need no extra encouragement to go fast nor any false sense of control or power. It has always been by contention that to stay safe on a bike you have to compensate for all the distracted, daydreaming, or just generally mindless cagers around you. This is difficult enough when you are alert and sober. Anything that detracts from your ability to concentrate and/or reduces your motor skills and reaction time significantly increases your chances of becoming a statistic.

Alcohol and Fatal Motorcycle Crashes

Alcohol is a major contributor to fatal motorcycle crashes. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) studies of fatal motorcycle crashes have shown that:

Between 40% and 45% of all fatal motorcycle crashes involve the use of alcohol.
In about one-third of the fatalities, the motorcyclist was legally intoxicated.
About 2,500 motorcyclists that are killed and about 50,000 that are seriously injured in crashes per year, involved drinking and riding.*
Motorcyclists are involved in fatal crashes at a rate of 35.0 per 100 million miles of travel compared with a rate of 1.7 per 100 million miles of travel in cars. **
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has a new report, after analyzing the NHTSA's Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS). This report covers research of accidents during 1983 � 2003. It shows that the peak rate of death among alcohol-impaired motorcycle drivers shifted from those aged 20 � 24 years to those aged 40 � 44 years. In addition to this shift, during the same time frame, as the percentage of alcohol-impaired fatal motorcycle crashes declined for other age groups, the 55 � 59 year rider age group increased from 16.7% in 1983 to 21.1% in 2003.**

So what's up with us old people? Is it a case of, �You can't teach an old dog�?� Why can't you teach an old dog?

Because we are STUBBORN KNOW-IT-ALLS!

Most of us have computers and realize that we have to do those irritating �Critical Updates� for protection of our computer's security. Who wants a crashed machine? We change the oil in our bikes and cars � to get rid of that nasty old oil that is filled with dirt. Well, maybe it's time to do a critical update on ourselves. Get rid of that dirty, nasty old oil in our aging brains.

Middle-aged brain patch: insert �Drink + Riding = Trouble�

Alarmingly, as we get older, the effects of alcohol hit us faster. We can't keep drinking the same way we did when we were in our twenties, just like all those other fun things that you used to be able to do so much better when you were 20! The younger you started drinking, the more that this is true, because the brain damage accumulates. Your brain actually shrinks (there is another comment in there, but I'll skip it).***

Now quit putting your fingers in your ears and shouting �la la la la la!"

Here is a game you can playBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Trishams,

Thank you! This was excellent and hopefully the readers will check it out and gain some more knowledge on drinking and riding.

E
evo Offline
E
How many of us have seen people that could barely walk get on their bikes and take off? Can I see a show of hands?

There's never enough time to ride as far as I want!

http://www.gogocycles.com/SMD Home of Strike Lightnin' Choppers and Rally
Koala
Koala
Don't you love it when someone says "if they weren't drunk when they had that accident they would be dead". I say, "If they weren't drinking then maybe they wouldn't have had the accident in the first place!" There is a guy I know that has had 2 accidents driving drunk on his motorcyle (leaving the bar). I keep thinking that the next one will kill him.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Thanks for the lecture.

I'd like to comment that my state considered .09 sober a couple of years ago (and for the previous 7 decades). Now it considers .08 impaired. In point of fact, because of how laws are implemented, at 11:59 one day you were sober yet allegedly drunk 60 seconds later.

Post lectures and boo hoos on the MADD board.

F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
This is definitely a good reminder. If I'm riding, I don't drink. Or, if I do, I'll have one beer and sit around for a loooooong time before leaving. I just refuse to ride while drinking. It's just too risky!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Froggie

Your answers are so much like mine. smile

Nancy

F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
Great minds think alike!! smile

What do you think about loud pipes? Safer or not?

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Froggie

I like em! I personally have being driving a motor vehicle and not seen a bike behind me or passing me, but when it has loud pipes I hear them.

I do not like them when they break the sound barrier with the noise, chopper type. It is okay if it isn't in my neighborhood waking me up at all hours though. My bike has noisy pipes but not ear splitting. I make sure I don't ride before 8 a.m. from my neighborhood and when coming in late hours, I coast down my street using the clutch.

Nancy

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
In Reno, NV, we have a "Street Vibrations" event every summer. It is a bit annoying to drive around on daily errands and try to avoid all the bikers. However, we really enjoy it when we go downtown just to see the bikes and visit all the craft/clothing boots. The sound of the bikes when they fire up just vibrates thru your whole being. And when a whole grout starts up at the same time it is really somthing to experience, the sound is deafening. I'm referring to the Harley's. Harley's have always been my favorite bike. I do not ride anymore, but I did when I was a teenager. My Dad and two older brothers had Harley's and we had so much fun. My Dad's first rule to the boys was no alcohol when driving. Dad had a huge black and chrome '75'. I guess the Harley 75 is quite rare now, huh? It was a beauty.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.