Page 1 of 2 1 2
#308762 04/22/07 10:20 AM
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Has anyone heard of the 100 mile diet, where you eat only foods grown, raised or produced from within 100 miles of your home? The theory is the food is more nutritional and saves fuel because it isn't transported thousands of miles to get to your store. Also, it helps to support local businesses and farms.

With the recent recall of pet food due to tainted ingredients from china (which has a bad track record of their foods and products being turned away due to contaminents like pesticides)it makes sense to purchase local food.

at this time of the year it's easier as local farmer's markets are opening and local produce is flourishing. I belong to an organic food coop where all, or nearly all, the food comes from our state of Texas and it is all organic, which helps support organic farmers.

The challenge is either finding products like coffee or tea or giving these up for herbal teas or whatever. Also, many products, even local ones, have ingredients from other places mixed in.

Has anyone tried this or read about it?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
joanj #308915 04/23/07 09:59 AM
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I definitely haven't heard of it. Its a cute idea, and there are many choices in that allotted distance from my home. However, I do believe in diets of any kind. Since losing so much weight the last several months I have been drawn (totally by choice)to really enjoy more healthy eating. I guess because my body just doesn't have a desire or enjoy 'junk' anymore. I love the Ellie Krieger Healthy/Nutritional Show on Saturday too. She has some wonderful recipes.

Sandy

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
I'm glad to hear you say you're into healthy eating! I lost 20 lbs that way but am focusing on the health part and not the diet.

the term 100 mile diet doesn't really refer to a weight loss diet. It's just a diet as in way of eating, like a nutritional diet.

I'd like to do this but don't want to give up my coffee-lol. Actually I've found that in texas almost anything you'd want can grow here, except coffee and tea.

joanj #308982 04/23/07 03:15 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
I try to eat local as much as possible and I find that I eat much better that way. Once you start buying local, you discover all the amazing fruit and veggie varieties that don't ship well. Coffee (and chocolate) is definately one of my exceptions. My sister and her ex-husband are working on a conserving/restoring some property in Venezuela so I try to justify it that way... It's actually the strongest reason I can see to give up coffee and chocolate. However, I've thought about trying to grow coffee indoors. I remember reading that one of the Seattle coffee companies has a "decorative" coffee plant in one of their conference rooms that produces amazingly decent coffee. I just found this - Grow Your Own Coffee

Julie

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
thanks Julie, maybe I'll try that!

I am a transplanted Oregonian. We just moved to Texas from southern Oregon. I miss the veggie burgers! Organics, etc is just beginning to catch on back this way-esp since Texas is beef country.

I have found lots of like-minded people tho in my organic food co-op. They share lots of tips and info on where to find things locally.

joanj #309035 04/23/07 08:30 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Southern Oregon to Texas is quite the change! Though I've thought about it myself recently - I have friends in Texas and the cost of living is quite a bit lower.

Julie

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
We lived in south Texas for 6 years when my husband was in the military. Our kids all liked it here and considered it more home than Oregon. When our youngest decided to go to college here in North TX we made the move back. Now some of the kids have grandkids so it's nice to be here.

The housing here is cheaper for sure. We sold high in OR and bought a bigger house here for half what we sold the other one for. However, in the county we live in our property taxes are very high. When our daughter graduates we're moving to some lake property in east TX. You can get acreage on a lake over there for less than $10,000 and property taxes are extremely low.

Electricity is about the highest in the US in TX too, altho gas is cheaper.

We've been over in east TX looking for property and the wildflowers are beautiful this year. East TX is a lot like Oregon in that there are pine trees, rolling hills and green. People think Texas is like west Texas where it's hot, flat and dry prairie but actually there are hundreds of lakes in TX.

I'm surpised more people from the east and west coasts don't discover the middle of the country as a cheaper place to live.

joanj #311089 05/03/07 03:13 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
It seems like a fun idea, if I had full day to research that, it would be pretty cool... And the fresh produce would be amazing, but really hindered in some seasons also.

BellaMia #311110 05/03/07 03:52 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Well, for me - and I just try to eat local as much as possible, not strictly follow the 100 mile diet - a good part of that comes from canning or freezing. Also, I eat quite a bit of frozen veggies. There are literally freezing plants in the middle of the fields about 60 miles south of here, so the veggies can be frozen within minutes of harvest - that's about as fresh as straight out of my garden. I can a lot of salsa and tomatos for winter eating too. My local tomatos canned are still more flavorful than a "fresh" tomato from another country.

Julie

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
I use my dehydrator a lot. Corn is terrific when you cut it off the cob and dehydrate it. It tastes exactly like fresh when you add it to soups and such.

I think it's terrific that you can your own food! I used to work in a country store in southern Oregon and we sold canning supplies. A surprising number of people do this-or maybe it's mostly in the northwest! I'm in TX now and people aren't as much into healthy eating as they are on the west coast where you can find a veggie burger in nearly any restaurant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.