logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#244673 04/23/06 02:10 PM
OP Offline
I am a beginning sewer and I need help in hemming ladies pants.Which is the best method? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You
Melrose

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#244674 04/23/06 05:10 PM
This might help you Melrose. "Let's Talk About Sewing Hems: BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

all round crafter/designer - kitty keeper
#244675 04/24/06 01:44 PM
C
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
C
Hemming pants can be difficult when you do not have an extra pair of hands to help with marking, however I found the following works well:
Try on the slacks with the shoes you will most likely wear with them the most and see where they fall at the top of the shoe.

Tuck the fabric under for a new hemline at the bottom of the slacks and pin once at the front and at the back on the bottom of each pant leg where you want the new hem to lay. Take them off and look at where the hemline will fall. If you must open the existing seam to achieve the new hemline with about a 1 � to 2 inch hem, then open up the existing hem with a seam-ripper or scissors. If you have so much extra fabric at the bottom of each pant leg beyond the new hem-to-be, then no need to open the existing hem as it will be included in the excess fabric to be cut away.

Lay the slacks neatly flat, perhaps on your ironing board as it will be at a nice height to work on the hems, and align each pant leg one on top of the other, from the inside crotch seam on down to the bottom of each pant leg, matching the inside seam of one leg to the inside seam of the other, as if you would iron the slacks with both legs together to form an identical neat crease line down the front and back of each pant leg. With the pants still laying flat, one pant leg on top of the other, tuck the new desired hem of each pant leg neatly under all around allowing the two pins in each pant leg to form the new desired hemline. Adjust each pant leg at the bottom so that both new hemlines match in length. Add more pins to hold the hems in place.

Now you can either cut off excess fabric beyond the desired 1 � to 2 inch hem depth on each pant leg (keep the pins in place when doing so) or open up the existing hem seam if not enough extra fabric is available. Use what you like to finish off the raw new hemline with lace seam tape or bias seam tape in the same color as the slacks for a nice flat hem that wont ravel and allow the hem to look neat, or serge or zigzag the hem edge if your fabric type allows and you prefer to use just a sewn machine edge to prevent raveling of the new hemline edge. If you choose to use the seam tape, you can place the hem tape flat on top of the hem edge and sew them both together to cover the hem edge, or you can first edge stitch the hem edge (straight stitch or zigzag) and then add the seam tape over the top of the hem�s edge stitching to visually cover the hem edge. Very lightly press the new hemline in place to carefully set the new hemline edge.

For dress slacks, it is best to then hand stitch the hem in place using matching thread and small evenly spaced stitches that take a bite out of the hem and only a few stitches in the garment leg. Do not pull the thread too tight or the hem will looked puckered on the outside. Check your progress frequently on the outside of the pant leg as you carefully hand stitch your way around each pant leg to be sure you are not taking too many stitches into the outside fabric, or two large a hand stitch that will show greatly on the outside of the pant leg at the hemmed line. Catching just a few threads of the outside pant leg will hold the hem securely.

Some carefree cottons, jeans and kids clothes do not need this much attention to hemming or even the suggested 1 � to 2 inch hem. You can just machine top-stitch around the pant leg bottom if you wish (I find it easier to turn the slacks inside out so I can top-stitch evenly from the hemline edge on the outside of the slacks), once the proper hem length has been achieved and the hem edge has been edge-stitched to prevent raveling and fraying.

Fabrics with much stretch do better at hemming if you choose one of your sewing machine�s stretch stitches to stitch around the hem rather than hand stitching the hem to the garment fabric. Just following the same instructions for measuring and determining the hem length (look at other similar finished hems in similar garments to see what hem length looks best), and then machine stitch on the outside or inside of the hem as you wish; no hem edging is usually necessary as many stretchy fabrics do not ravel and fray like woven fabrics tend to do.

If your sewing machine has a blind hem stitch, you might want to use that instead of hand-stitching the hem in place. Consult your machine's manual for how-to instructions using this machine stitch.

You might like this product: An iron-on hem-tape from Wrights http://www.wrights.com/products/sewing/pkgtapes/608.htm

Last edited by Cheryl_Sewing; 04/24/06 01:58 PM.
#244676 04/24/06 01:49 PM
Koala
Koala
For me, hemming means iron on fuse/hem tape and/or a seamstress! I do okay with minor repairs, but really botch hem jobs. Even under the watchful eye of an "expert".

#244677 04/24/06 02:12 PM
C
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
C
I can sympathize. I was coaching a friend in how to hem her dress slacks - she followed my instructions quite carefully and then sat down, draped the slacks over her knee, began hand-sewing the hem, and managed to sew the slacks right to the jeans she was wearing! We had a good laugh over this.

Cheryl Ellex
Sewing Editor
#244678 04/30/06 12:05 PM
OP Offline
I want to thank you for your information it was very helpful

Melrose

#244679 04/30/06 12:14 PM
OP Offline
I want to thank you for the information it was very helpful I appreciate it very much

melrose

melrose354 #302515 03/26/07 07:29 AM
A
A
Hi Melrose,My name is Jack Heywood,I've been altering clothes for 30 years.I now teach and sell a DVD on clothing alterations.Check out my website,it's still under constructions,click on "where I started" and "DVD preview"for Video. hand sewing isn't that hard. Have fun sewing, Regards Jack Heywood

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.