Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#296571 03/04/07 12:34 PM
C
chillin Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
C
I subscribe to the philosophy of being very frugal in some areas so that I can have a lot more to give to others and to myself.

People at the office used to laugh at me, until they saw what I was able to accomplish on a modest income (great home, nice vacations, gifts to others, etc.) Now they all practice a little common sence. One person has wiped out all her debt, one person figured out how to pay off her mortgage and retire, no one is worried anymore about losing their job, because everyone at the office has built up their savings and lowered their debt. Now that's freedom, Ladies!

Why are you frugal? What do you get out of it?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
chillin #296753 03/05/07 03:52 AM
L
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
L
Ghandi was very frugal.

A girl from Japan.
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
At my last job I was nicknamed "fish" because I am very tight with my money. I wouldn't even buy new clothes unless I absolutely had to. I would pay my rent and bills and that was it. I saved the rest. It was a big shock to my coworkers when I bought a brand new car which I paid cash for and still had a healthy sum of money in the bank.

I recently decided to redecorate my flat and that is making a fair dent in my savings. But I am getting back on track. I generally only buy things that are absolutely necessary.

I pay less rent than I would on interest on a mortgage. To me, the thought of going into debt scares the hell out of me and while I have such a great deal on rent and save the rest, I do not see the point.

pinklulu #296829 03/05/07 10:03 AM
Wolf
Wolf
Originally Posted By: pinklulu
At my last job I was nicknamed "fish" because I am very tight with my money. I wouldn't even buy new clothes unless I absolutely had to. I would pay my rent and bills and that was it. I saved the rest. It was a big shock to my coworkers when I bought a brand new car which I paid cash for and still had a healthy sum of money in the bank.

I recently decided to redecorate my flat and that is making a fair dent in my savings. But I am getting back on track. I generally only buy things that are absolutely necessary.

I pay less rent than I would on interest on a mortgage. To me, the thought of going into debt scares the hell out of me and while I have such a great deal on rent and save the rest, I do not see the point.

this is the first step to riches. Good luck.

C
chillin Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
C
I recently decided to redecorate my flat and that is making a fair dent in my savings.

What did you do to redecorate? New furniture or remodeling?

What is considered a flat in Australia?

chillin #297079 03/06/07 01:27 AM
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Unfortunately I have a hard time saving any extra money that doesn't go towards bills and whatnot. The way my husband and I do our money is so that all the bills etc gets paid and then we each get some spending money of our own to do with as we please. I tend to spend mine fairly fast on whatever I feel like at the time, while he tries his best not to spend very much at all. He rarely buys himself anything like clothes etc. Only the neccesities, while I tend to spoil him and others with my money, and also on myself.

Im a bit of a compulsive shopper, I see something I like and as long as I have the money I buy it. Even if it's not for me. Like I said I buy my husband more stuff than he buys himself! lol...

But it would be nice to learn to save more than what I do!

lala21 #297081 03/06/07 01:29 AM
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
...As long as I have the money I have NO problem spending it on going out for dinner and drinks or whatever, but my husband on the other hand, hates "wasting" money on stuff like that. He thinks, we have food at home, eat at home. He rarely spends money on anything more than whats neccesary.

lala21 #297100 03/06/07 03:02 AM
C
C
i used to be terrible with money (its something i am still working on). my problem is i have a hard time not spending money on friends and family - there is also a bit of me that usually feels - life can be too short to be frugal. i save/ invest a lot more now and feel beter for it - the bank balance is getting there too.

i think being frugal is one thing but there is a fine line between being frugal and also just being tight fisted (whether with yourself or others).

J. Claire K. Niala African Culture
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
yeah I also have a hard time not spending on family and friends, especially for birthdays and Christmas etc. I tend to over spend around those times, but it makes me feel good for being able to give to others. I love to see how appreciative they are, and love to see how much they really enjoy their gifts. But i dont really buy them "things" I usually treat them out to dinner and a concert, or plan a surprise party, or take them somewhere as a surprise. Things like that smile and then once and a while I spoil myself with clothes, makeup, relaxation stuff etc.

chillin #297172 03/06/07 09:35 AM
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
Originally Posted By: chillin
I recently decided to redecorate my flat and that is making a fair dent in my savings.

What did you do to redecorate? New furniture or remodeling?

What is considered a flat in Australia?

Well, it's not a flat but a two bedroom, two storey townhouse, in the centre of town - great location - good and solid - nothing wrong with the place - excellent value for money considering the other places available in the area.

As for re-decorating, I didn't do anything major. I can't do too much as it is a rental. Just bought a new sewing machine and made new cushions and curtains. I have a good solid lounge so I am not going to do anything with that except re-upholster it. I have invested a fair bit in some really nice wall hangings/pictures. Bought new lamps, kitchen stuff, etc. I sanded down my kitchen table and re-laquered that. I want a small water feature but the ones that I like are between $1500 - $3000 for a very small unit and I struggle to part with that sort of money. I am hoping to make one soon when I have some time and some energy.

It's a work in progress.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.