Print Thread
#294348 02/22/07 06:59 PM
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Hi I just read your article on building an author's website and it had lots of great information. I'd like to suggest signing up with www.ezinearticles.com/ as a way to promote your site. I have nothing to do with the site but have done articles there.

you sign up and can write on anything but I have just discovered the book review area. You are allowed to put 3 links into your articles. I use one to my health site in my bio and usually do an article that relates to something on my site. You write them for free but it gets your link out there and provides incoming links to your site which is important to search engines. People also read your articles/reviews and can visit your site if interested.

I built my site through Homestead.com which is pretty easy to use. I had no experience before, just a couple of friends mentoring me on the internet to help me along.

you gave me an idea too. I am working on a book right now so should build a page for it. It takes a few weeks sometimes for search engines to get to scanning your site.

Hope that helps.
Joan in Texas

Sponsored Post Advertisement
joanj #294374 02/22/07 11:06 PM
E
Koala
Koala
E
I'm so glad you enjoyed the article. There are many ways to get yourself and information about your site out there, and creating content - whether it is on your own site, or on other sites linking back to yours - is one of the best ways to promote yourself.

Do be aware though that having many copies of the same content all over the place dilutes the value of that content to the search engines. Wherever possible try to produce new articles if you're writing for both your own site and other article content sites.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #294455 02/23/07 09:31 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Elle - What a great article! Thank you. I have poshed around the idea of a website off and on. I even took several classes in HTML and Front Page as well as Cascading Web Pages and while it's not the hardest thing to learn, I found something out.

I DON'T WANT TO MAKE WEB PAGES.

I WANT TO BE A WRITER.

I have found some great places that take the hurt out of the fall.

Joan - I liked the site you gave the link to as well.

HAPPY FRIDAY!
Chel

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Glad you liked the site, Chel. I agree Elle, you do need original content as search engines DO NOT like duplicated material.

What I do for my site is maybe do several pages for my site on a topic and then write a general type article for ezines about the topic and direct the link back to my site for more information.

I imagine that there are several writers forums where you could sign up with your website in the sig.

All this website marketing takes lots of time! I agree the time might be better spent writing unless marketing a website is something you want to do. I write for my website so I incorporate the writing and the marketing for the same purpose.

I think the real purpose of an author's page tho is give people someplace to go to find out more about you or to purchase your book, like if you were selling a product. They would probably know about your and your book first and then look you up, rather than just coming across you in the internet and deciding to buy your book, if that makes sense.

E
Koala
Koala
E
Thanks for reading smile

You're right too, Joan - it is way too easy to get caught up in promoting and branding yourself on the Internet, and next thing you know you're spending hours networking, marketing, writing articles, reading up unrelated stuff, and you're NOT writing your novel. I know that's exactly what's happened as soon as I start getting cranky and frustrated - it's time to stop tweaking the website and open Word again. (My problem is the left brain side of me just loves playing with code wink )

Balance and time management - *sigh*

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #302590 03/26/07 11:31 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Do you remember the good old days when all we had to do was change a ribbon on a typewriter. Then, we had to plug the typewriter in -- we all know where we have gone from there. I am older and remember copies made with carbon and life without spellcheck. Now the internet has given us even more reason not to write. LOL!

Yet, it's a good tool. However, I often find myself spending hours visiting sites that talk about writing and are full of articles about writing and before you know it, my writing space of time is over.

Chel

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Ah, now, making best use of our writing time! That's a toughie at the moment ... grr. lol

Kevin Thorburn
Ice Hockey
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I know what you mean Cel. Those were something else and then remember graduating from them to the Brother Word Processor which was a typewriter but it had that little L.E.D. screen that you could type to see it and then spell check it, then hit a button and it would type it out on paper.

You could also save your work with a floppy disk. Man, that was state of the art for writers then. lol.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
I agree, the internet has in many ways made it harder to stick to a writing schedule! I get off on researching topics, visiting forums, etc and not writing like I should.

I can remember when I was in college I wrote my papers on a typewriter and going back and making corrections was a BIG deal. I love spell check!

One good thing about the internet is the fact that you can do so much by email now and pick up writing assignments anywhere in the country. It's a boon to those of us who aren't in our 30's anymore-no one knows how old you are when you apply for an assignment-lol.

Joan

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.