Next Thread
Print Thread
#292338 02/13/07 02:57 PM
C
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
C
There's no doubting that the man has achieved a lot in his career, and I definitely respect him for that.

But his trophies are all slightly tainted with some incidents of bad sportsmanship. The most obvious being at Monaco last year - the "parking" incident in qualifying.

Some say that it's moments of genius because who else would be able to think that quickly and sway the results?

But I'm adament that it's not in the interests of the sport, and although it sounds harsh, I'm glad he's gone.
What do you think?

Christine Blachford
Formula 1 Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Christina,
I have just registered on your site to tell you what I think of your post...'legend or laughing stock' Some of your comments are actually incorrect and as Schumi's number 1 fan I felt the need to correct you on these points, particulary as you are representing a lot of forums and posting incorrect info smile

Towards the end of his last season, he was doing anything but clinging onto the adoration of his fans. He was fighting for his 8th world championship. And he was fighting damn hard. For the first half of the season he had an inferior car compared to title rival Alonso. To say that Schumacher was simply taking part in races because of adoration of his fans shows you have done no research on the man himself, and what drives him. Which is probably because you claim to not like the man, so therefore you are not going to read all the official information about him.

Michael was driven by his passion for racing, the passion that far surpassed and still surpasses any other racing driver who is left on the field. He built the Ferrari team. He made it what it is today. Of course he respects his fans, and on his last race in Brazil he thanked them for all their support. But even if the man had no fans, he would still of raced for his lengendary 16 years.

Talking about the Brazil race, you also state in your post that he was blessed with ultimate good luck without suffering punctures and blowouts. Explain to me how you missed the most painful experience of the whole year when in Japan Michael was close to winning and snatching the title lead from Alonso and his engine blew out?! Yes before then he had had the best from his engines (although please not down to luck but brilliant engineering from ferrari and Michael's ability to manage his engine and nurse his car home - credit where its due please!)

Even some of my friends (who cannot stand Michael with a passion) felt the pain when his car died on him in that race.

Yes Michael has had his controversys. I have seen what ITV viewers were not shown on thier tv feed regarding his 'parking incident' I have seen the engine revs and the accelorator and brake streams. The marshalls at Monaco were also offered this information but did not take it. They judged Michael on the tv footage and cameras alone. But like all of us we werent there and no one knows what actaully happened. But he is still my hero despite this.

It pains me that people remember these things about schumacher but no-one remembers what Alonso said half way through the 2006 season. Firstly when his pitcrew messed up and his car didnt seem as sturdy as it was he through his dummy out of the pram and accused his team of sabotaging his world championship charge, because he was leaving them to go to Mclaren. The very team that helped him get his first world championship. He then when on to publicly declare to the world that Formula 1 was not a sport, when Michael began catching him up in the points.

He shamed the sport when he said this. He again shamed the sport when he took the world champion trophy and did not apologise for his words.

Despite Michael having 'incidents' that not one person can ever be sure about (only michael knows what was going on in his head) he has never said anything slanderous about anyone or anything or the sport he is in. He has taken any punishments and deductions in his stride, never complained and got on with it. Take Monaco 2006, he started from the pit lane. Said nothing. Got on with the job and in place where no-one can overtake finished 5th, from 22nd.

Enough said. Our new world champion is not a patch on Michael, simply because he acts like a spoilt child and doesnt know when to stop talking.

Michael may not be missed by you, but his millions of fans will miss him greatly. I will never wake up at 3am to watch another race now...I only hope Felipe and Kimi can keep up the good work...

(Also you wont miss the dominant red cars being ahead of everyone else?! Did you not watch the 2005 and 2006 seasons?! I think you'll find the dominant car especially in 2005 was the blue and yellow...there was nothing dominant about Ferrari in the last 2 years mate!)

Last edited by schueysgirl; 02/14/07 07:22 AM.
C
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
C
Hi schueysgirl, thanks for your response! You've raised some interesting points and I enjoyed reading them.

You're right, I'm obviously not a fan, but that doesn't mean I haven't done my research. I always try and look behind the subjects I am talking about and make sure that I am not presenting any false evidence, so I'm sorry if you think I am.

I think it's a very subjective thing to talk about, because like you say, no one will ever know what went on in his head, but I'd like to tackle some of your points, and give another side to them.

1) I don't remember saying that Michael was ONLY driving because of his fans. If I did write that, I didn't mean to, and I will have to go back and edit my post. I know that the man is dedicated and passionate to the sport and like I said, I respect everything he has achieved. I also respect his fans, because who wouldn't want to cheer on a man showing absolute genius for so many years?

2) I appreciate that Michael does have some bad luck, but when you compare it to some of the other drivers, it just seems that he has quite a lot of good luck during the races. A lot of this is down to Ferrari's reliability, but ultimately, when it comes to picking up punctures on race day, that would mostly be luck. And I've only known it happen to Michael a couple of times in the last few years, whereas others can count their misfortunes on many hands. I don't think being lucky takes anything away from Michael, but it's something that I didn't find enjoyable to watch.

3) I don't think it's fair to call Alonso childish. There were a lot of reasons that he got so frustrated, with the FIA seemingly picking on him for several races in a row. They may not have been doing so, but I'm sure to him it didn't seem fair. And I've seen Michael have a bad race, and step out of the car fuming. I've seen him push the cameras away in anger, and storm past his fans. I've seen him say harsh things about the way the sport is run. All the drivers do it at some point. I don't think Alonso did anything wrong by not apologising for it - it was heat of the moment talk.

4) You're 100% right that Alonso isn't a patch on Schumacher. I said a couple of times that he's the greatest F1 driver that there will ever be and I completely believe that.

It's my opinion that the sport will be more interesting now he has gone. Obviously his fans are going to disagree with me and that's completely understandable.

Christine Blachford
Formula 1 Editor
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with you completely on all points, apart from the one where you say he has badmouthed the sport. I am sorry but he has never done this. He has criticsed Bernie Eccleston (but which driver hasnt!!) but not the actual sport of F1.

And when he blew up in Japan last year the first thing he did was go and hug his mechanics as they were crying for him. I never said he had never ignored his fans (its impossible for the man to say hi to everyone who loves him!) but he has never badmouthed his team as alonso did, or badmouth the sport.

When Alonso lifted the world champion trophy and became the main representation of the sport he should of apologised for what he said, as obvoiously once he had won he thought it was a sport again I presume?!

Heat of the moment talk is no excuse in any job, particulary one in the public eye. I honestly think Alonso is childish and it is fair comment as he is still so very very young. He needs someone to teach him how to keep his mouth shut when angry... he wont get on very well with Big Ron Dennis at McLaren if he goes round badmouthing his team when things dont go his way! And if he does this I will have a lot more respect for him.

I didnt say it wouldnt be interesting now michaels gone, just obviously not the same...I am still very much looking forward to March 14th,15th and 16th (COME ON FELIPE!!!) =)

I am glad my comments were well recieved (i can be quite pushy about michael - i really dont mean to be) and likewise i enjoyed reading what you have to say smile I look forward to reading more from you mate

take care, Amy xx

M
M
Originally Posted By: schueysgirl
Despite Michael having 'incidents' that not one person can ever be sure about (only michael knows what was going on in his head)

what? i'm all for innocent until proven guilty, but michael has been *proven* guilty on more than one occasion. what's in his head is irrelevant.

Our new world champion is not a patch on Michael

rubbish, he has a personality for starters

Amoeba
Amoeba
Poor guy. Without Ferrari's mid-season turnaround, 2006 would have been rather dull. Schumi raced just like he had in every other season, to win, the fact that he didn't (for the second year running) should have put a stop to all this 'luck' and 'dominance' rubbish.

People should be looking at the picture properly, it is not Ferrari's or Michael's problem, it was the other teams who were causing a poor show. Renault proved this in 2005 and 2006 by themselves having a superior package and winning the majority of races.

Schumi fan or not, anyone who understands what makes a racing driver work should not be making statements like:

Quote:
Towards the end of last year, he was just about clinging onto the adoration and respect of his many fans, and I think it was right for him to leave before he fell from grace.

Really? You think Brazil 2006's performance was that of a man who was about to fall from grace? Or even a guy who was ready to retire! Please, watch this again and notice some of the most audacious overtaking moves I've seen, all from the oldest driver on the grid. Mid season onwards, he drove like he was trying to win his first championship, not his eighth.

'Fans' of F1 should see him for what he is - one of the most naturally talented drivers and team players the sport (in fact, most sports) has ever seen. Nope, he didn't speak to the English speaking press often(thanks to a tight contract with the German press), he kept his private life to himself (making him seem aloof and sometimes rude), but he always, always gave 100% on the track.

Just for the record, I'm not his biggest fan, I just recognise God-given talent and understand that him leaving the sport can onlybe a bad thing. Putting personal thoughts about him aside - he was the biggest draw, in terms of money, viewing figures and marketing the sport will ever see, and currently there is not one 'personality' elsewhere on the grid that can take his place. Yes, next season will be exciting, but Schumi's absence will be distinctly noticeable.

Andy Boxall
Horror Movies Guide

Look what your brother did to the door! Ain't got no, no pride in his home!
L
L
Hey Hey Schueygirl
I couldnt agree with you more!
Very interesting and enjoyable read.
I must confess that I have always followed Michael throughout his career, the only person I could possibly watch now would be Ralf who I believe will always be in Michaels shadow
I also think that our current World Champ will never equal Michael's Record, hes simply to immature for my liking.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi michael_who... your comments interest me and in particular I think you did not read my post properly or took one comment in partcular out of context.

Yes I said that despite Michael having incidents no-one can know what was going on in his head only Michael knows. I was only referring to his 2006 Monaco incident (which you would of noticed had you read the whole of most properly!)

There was no proven evidence shown on TV to prove Michael was guilty. The marshalls did not even review all the evidence that was offered from Ferrari. That was the point I was making. I was not referring to his past indiscetions from long ago that were proven and punished for. So please stand corrected on this front!

You say Alonso has a personality. I have yet to see this shown in the way he represents himself as world champion globally and internationally. He has had two years now to start representing the sport and has not turned up anywhere to do anthing. This is a fact.

He has been in his home town of spain. And he has done the obligitory press and sponsor shows for renault. This is it. He does not look at improving and promoting the safety of formula 1. He doesn't attend GPDA meetings to discuss safety and circuits with other drivers. He doesn't do any charity work. If he did any of these things we would all know about it. I could go on. In case you don't know all of these things mentioned Michael Schumacher took part in throughout his 16 years in formula 1, before he was world champion several times over and after. He still does it now. If you need documented proof that Michael has a personality here it is in all its glory:

Michael Schumacher helped develop the first lightweight carbon helmet with Schuberth. In 2004 he also tested a helmet designed for the hotter GP climates using a funnel directed airflow through 50 holes to cool his head and to provide air for breathing!

He also pushed for the design and introduction and helped with the testing of the much needed Hans device.

Michael was leader and chairman of GPDA for several years at the hieght of his career. Along with drivers like Coulthard and Webber, Massa and Barichello they got together before all GPs to dicuss safety issues, resolutions and improvements.

He takes part in charity football matches, karting races and Schumacher is also a special ambassador to UNESCO and has donated 1.5 million Euros to the organization.

Additionally, he has paid for the construction of a school for poor children in Dakar, Senegal, which also entailed improvements in the surrounding slum area.

He continually supports a hospital for child victims of war in Sarajevo that specializes in caring for child amputees. In Lima, Peru he funded the "Palace for the Poor", a centre for helping homeless street children with an education, clothing, food, medical attention, and a roof over their heads. He stated his interest in these various efforts was piqued both by his love for children and the fact these causes had received little attention or donors.

While an exact figure for the amount of money he has donated throughout his life is unknown, it is known that in his last four years as a driver, he donated at least 50 million and he alos donated 10 million US dollars in aid after the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and his donation surpassed that of any other sportsperson, most sports leagues, many worldwide corporations and even some countries.

Since his participation in a FIA European road safety campaign michael has continued to support other campaigns, such as Make Roads Safe, led by the FIA Foundation, which is calling on G8 countries and the UN to recognise global road deaths as a major global health issue.

Again the list is endless. And you say he doesnt have a personality?! Do you know the man? Have you spoken to him? Spent time with him and his family away from the cameras? Didnt think so. Your comment is vague and compltely unjustified in every sense. Just because he shys away from the cameras and media does not mean he doesnt have a personality.

Actions speak louder than words...Alonso should learn this and put some effort into his actions rather than shouting his mouth off about his team sabotaging his world championship efforts (yes he said this about Renault midseason, and saying F1 was not a sport.)

Horror_editor and Lesloc, thanks for your posts I am glad you enjoyed reading mine and hope you agree with this one also.

I look forward to your replies guys!
much love xxx

M
M
There was no proven evidence shown on TV to prove Michael was guilty.

He was sent to the back of the grid by the stewards. Guilty. End of.

He doesn't attend GPDA meetings to discuss safety and circuits with other drivers.

Alonso is the nominated director of the GPDA. That's "The Director".

Actions speak louder than words...

Oh, how right you are. And driving your competitors clean off the track speaks volumes doesn't it? As does parking right in their path.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You make a good argument there, copying and pasting my words and then writing short sentances!

Just because the stewards say he was guilty thats it for you. Fair enough. Not the case for me, i dont take words from anyone I need the evidence too. I'm the same with anything, not just stuff to do with michael. I always want to know WHY someone came to that decision, what evidence they had etc.

Thats the psychologist in me unfortunetly, we never take words and data or statistics as face value, we want to know why that conclusion came about.

Anyway you say Alonso is NOMINATED director. Your words speak for themselves. He is nominated director. But as I said in my posts he doesnt attend the meetings. He acts as many big cheese directors do. Does bugger all. Doesnt liase with other members of his team. Just because he is the director doesnt mean he does anything.

Again show me evidence.

I stand by my quote, actions speak louder than words. Your argument holds nothing Im afriad because I am not denying michael has done some bad things in his 16 years. Those two you mention are included in this (although as ive said before i disagree the parking was intentional until i see the evidence that he stopped the car with my own eyes - the telementry from his car data would prove this but we never saw it.)

Despite the few bad and PROVEN things michael has done I stand by my man! The good things he has done outweigh all of these as can be seen by your reply to my lengthy post on his contributions to Motorsport, Sport, Safety, Charities and Fans :P

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.