Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#290345 02/01/07 12:47 PM
Crisfra Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Ok, I know the topic is Island *Travel* - but I've been wondering lately about living on an island, so I thought I'd post since at least that covers the "Island" part. wink

Right now I'm considering moving, at some point, to Vashon Island in Puget Sound. It's only accessible by ferry boat. That raises some interesting issues when you're considering living somewhere, doesn't it? Especially when the island is very small and pretty rural.

Another island I've considered moving to - but it's nowhere near a reality at the moment! - is Kauai.

Has anyone else thought of living on an island, or do you live on an island now?

Chris Franchetti Michaels, BeadJewelry.net
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Amoeba
Amoeba
M
Islands seem to appeal to artistic souls -- I think because of that sense of community, self-sufficiency and a degree of isolation (at least from what little I've encountered on islands like Saltspring, Cortes and Quadra -- all off Vancouver Island in B.C.). The benefits of island life seem to outweigh the logistics of being tied to a ferry schedule.

I'm not ready to move, but I could easily live on a tropical island for a while!

M.

Crisfra Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I need to get up there and see your islands, Megan - they sound wonderful. smile

Chris Franchetti Michaels, BeadJewelry.net
C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
My goal in life is to find the island I want to live on permanently, maybe when I retire. Until then, I make it a point to explore as many islands as possible. What started this quest for me was my first trip to Eleuthera, an outisland in the Bahamas. Not overrun by tourists, locals are very accepting of Americans, it was paradise, and not too expensive. I like places where English is spoken widely, only because that seems to be an international language, especially for business.

My next trip is to Cypress, an island off Greece. English is widely accepted, even though LOTS of nationalities go there. Anyone has any experience in Cypress??? Please post.

Also, I read a story of someone who took an oil rig or something similar and anchored it in international waters and got themselves declared as a country with their own currency and everything. How's that for being creative? Now there's a travel destination!

It seems that a lot of people reach a certain point in life and check out to an island. I'll get there one day, hopefully sooner than later. I wish you lots of success! It's not as complicated as it seems.

C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
Dauphin Island is in Alabama. It does have a road leading to it, so it's very accessible. Every time there is a hurricane coming, they give you a warning and then they block off the bridge and disconnect the electricity. If you choose to stay, you have to be self sufficient. Most people choose to visit relatives for a week or so who live somewhere else. Very few people who live there have jobs. Mostly they have a second home there or work over the Internet. It's a WONDERFUL place. There are places on the island that don't flood, but they don't have water views. Most places with water views flood in a storm. You can buy a house from $100,000 and up, and there is no crime to speak of. In my experience, there is very little crime on islands because, where are you gonna go to escape?

C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
Key West in Florida is also a fun island with road access all the way. Very little undeveloped beach left, LOTS of tourists, extremely expensive real estate, due to zoning regulations. Ocean waves keep moving closer and closer to buildings, in some cases, hitting directly, with no beach left. Totally washed out. You would think those buildings would cost less, obviously being under water and all... not a chance. They are selling for millions, at least until they fall off into the ocean wink

C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
A good book to read is A Trip to the Beach: Living on island time in the Caribbean, by Melinda and Robert Blanchard

They actually made the move permanently and wrote about their experiece.

C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
Parakeet, what is your plan as far as working? Do you plan to commute or can you survive with Internet access? Washington seems awfully cold for island living. What is attracting you there? Always fun to talk to a creative adventurer, such as yourself.

M
Amoeba
Amoeba
M
Hey Chillin, thanks for the informative posts. I'm currently reading a book you might be interested in -- Islands of Fate by Fred Bruemmer (will be doing a review article sometime this month). Author spent a lifetime living on and travelling to a wide variety of islands -- his experiences (and the background info on the places) sound like they're right up your alley!

Cheers,
Megan

C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
Megan,
I can't wait to read your article. I will definitely check out the book. Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.