logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#232124 03/01/06 07:40 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I agree with you, Jeannine. I think sometimes it's just easier to blame something outside ourselves rather than deal with what's really inside.

Speaking of image, you look fabulous. I love to see women who are proud to post their age -- and you have every reason to flaunt it!

Trevy Thomas
Body Image Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#232125 03/14/06 02:50 PM
F
Shark
Shark
F
I've never really tried to analyze the influence of Barbie on my self-perceptions and notions of body image. I do think society bombards women with unattainable images that are destructive.

I only recently began thinking about issues of gendered toys when helping a friend buy Christmas gifts for his six neices and nephews. There is one little girl who is incredibly timid and shy, though clearly precocious, who my friend says reminds him of how he imagines I would have been at that age.

Well, the girl's mom said she loves to play kitchen, use her toy vacuum, play dress up and anything Strawberry Shortcake. My friend is a very liberal and sensitive guy and he really didn't want to buy anything that was "girlie". I found myself in the toy store admiring the Strawberry Shortcake items and Hello Kitty-- I began to wonder how I would handle all these issues when I have children someday. . .

Fashion Fiend with Heart & Soul
#232126 05/09/06 11:06 AM
U
U
Apparently if Barbie were a real person she would be so top heavy she'd fall over! That's what someone told me at school anyway. At the time I didn't know I would grow up to have to contend with very large breasts myself. If barbie were an accepted shape then maybe people would talk to my face and take my boobs for granted... although I certianly wouldn't say no to her legs and flat stomach!

#232127 05/09/06 11:48 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I take more of an issue with the Bratz dolls that are out today. They wear too much makeup and not enough clothes. My niece has one that is suppose to be a baby doll and it wears a thong.

#232128 07/12/06 05:27 PM
Shark
Shark
I loved my Barbies when I was a kid, but it never occurred to me to want to look like one...they were 10 inch tall plastic dolls.

Mother always said that even when things seem bad there's someone else who's having a worse day. Like being stung by a bee or getting a splinter or being chained to the wall in someone's sex dungeon.
#232129 07/12/06 06:48 PM
Koala
Koala
I had them when I was little. My sisters insisted I needed dolls to play with--I preferred stuffed animals. The dolls made great tug of war toys for playing with the family dog; but otherwise left no impression.

I did save one in its original box--never took it out. Auctioned it off to help pay for my first semester of college.

L
L
It's kind of funny that you post this topic, because it was one of the first times I had come to realize that having an ed was not normal. I remember when I was in girl scouts as a brownie (about 7) we were talking about body image and such, and the question was posed; what is the ideal body? that's a REALLY loaded question for a seven y-o to answer, but I did with absolutely no hesitation (a rarity for me at that time) reply "Barbie!" Everyone just stared at me. I felt the room closing in. I began to think in my head 'is that wierd?'" I was actually quite suprised I was not only the only one to say it, but for no one to agree with me.

To say that Barbie was a major source for "feeding" (ironic, ey? XP)my ed would be rediculous, but I will say that it added to the pot of trouble.

Last edited by letTHEM eat cake; 01/11/07 02:27 AM.
Shark
Shark
Interesting. I never looked at Barbie in terms of body image! I just played with her, and Ken. I did notice their perfection but didn't apply it to myself.....

And then I developed an eating disorder and poor body image and low self-esteem.

Could there be a subconscious connection?

L
L
I believe so. Maybe not directly with that particular toy, but it's a collaboration of everything. just think back to the old sitcoms and such. abuse was never seen or discussed. everyone was happy.
everyone was healthy, etc. ED have been around forever. I remember reading a book on ana during the victorian age. it was really interesting. and another thing is family history. i have come to recently discover after talking to a relative that there have been atleast 3 generations we are certain of of having some sort of eating disorder. anyone else have any more insight?

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Barbie is not real so no it never influenced me. And even if she were real she would not of influenced me either.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.