logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
How did having a baby affect your budget/expenses?

DH and I were planning to start a family this year and I had intended to set aside about $2,000 for "start-up" expenses.

Honestly, I wasn't anticipating much of a change to our budget except for that. We figured in a college fund, but otherwise I was planning to breastfeed, use cloth diapers, and get most of my baby supplies and clothes from garage sales and thrift stores.

I was figuring between some supplies and maybe an extra co-pay or two that the baby wouldn't cost more than an extra $50-$100 per month. And I was figuring that would mostly be offset by the fact that we wouldn't be going out as much.

Am I in for a rude awakening?

[Feel free to have a chuckle if I sound like a total rookie. But make sure you set me straight!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
It has been estimated according to UK statistical figures, thast to raise ONE CHILD from Birth to 17 years of age will cost �50,000 - that would be nearly $99.000.
And it doesn't stop there.... it depends on university education and other factors too...see the article link I have posted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4003263.stm

Pockets? Yes please, loads. And deep with it.....

Koala
Koala
Don't forget to add in co-pays/full pays for doctor's visits (there are a LOT of these through age 5 for well checks, and then there's the fact that children are natural germ breeders and tend to either get sick quite a bit or bring home illnesses from other places), child care (even if you are a SAHM you're still likely to need this from time to time), increased utility expenses (if you're washing the cloth diapers at home, you're going to double or triple your utility costs), etc., etc., etc.

M
Shark
Shark
M
It is also perspective. I can't tell you a real dollar amount. But in raising kids we went from two incomes down to one. The first year was difficult, but after that with a change in the way we spent and what was considered priority. We be came better off, financially as well as emotionally, with a family in tow.

Koala
Koala
Paula has a very valid point. For some, there may never be enough money in the budget no matter how much the couple actually has coming in; for others, one small income is more than sufficient. Perspectives, lifestyle, choices, actions, etc. all come into play.

Zebra
Zebra
[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.