logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
maydane Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Eva,
I see that you create designs and are publishing a book, so maybe you know the answer to my question. I have a question about one of my ponchos I have created. I just need to know if this would be considered my original design. I wanted to make a poncho with the lover's knot crochet stitch, and I could not find any poncho anywhere with that fun stitch. So I set out to find anything with that stitch. I found a shawl with that stitch in an old booklet from the 60's or 70's. I made 2 shawl's (their pattern) and sewed them together at the shoulders (left opening for neck) and made it into a poncho. I also converted the pattern to several different sizes by figuring out different amounts of chains for the different sizes. My beginning chain is different from the original shawl pattern, and they did not give directions for the 7 different sizes, like I did. (on paper) Their shawl had a ruffled edge, and mine doesn't. Would this be considered my pattern? I have no idea. Is this considered copying, or can I say it is my design, since there is no poncho pattern with the lover's knot stitch? Leisure Arts is doing 2 booklets on me and my original patterns (I have many) and this is the only questionalbe pattern I have. They have seen all my photos, and love my designs. Also, would it be considered copying if I created a crochet version of an Old Navy and Gap knitted scarf? Theirs is knitted and mine are crocheted with a totally different stitch. I did crochet the scarf with a different stitch, and different length than theirs, but the width is approximately the same. The colors are totally different though, and the stripes are not the same length. Is this considered my original pattern? I need to mail my projects to them soon for photographs and the booklet. They are the publisher, but another company is putting it together. All my other designs are definately my ideas and very unique. These are the only 2 things I had questions about. Thanks for your input on this. Mary Jane

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Mary Jane, my suggestions would be to ask Leisure Arts, they certainly should have a legal department and to my knowledge they would be glad to help you.

maydane Offline OP
OP Offline
The project manager from the company I am working with said, she did not know about the situation, so she said, out of 15 of my items, to just leave that one poncho out. She wasn't sure, and I was just wondering if you know. Do you know of anyplace on the internet that might say? Thanks

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have sent you a private email message, you can read it by clicking the flashing at the top by your name after you log on.

Moderated by  Holly - Crochet Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.