Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Quote:
I don't think we can point a finger and say "there--that happened because schools are dangerous." Nowhere is 100% safe, even home (domestic abuse, home invasions, drive bys, etc.). Whether homeschooling or otherwise, all we can do is teach our children to be responsible, be aware, to look out for themselves and others and to be self-reliant.

Nowhere is 100% safe, you're right, I'm not arguing that at all. I tend to think schools ARE more dangerous than your local convenience store for several reasons...shootings are only one of those reasons. In a school you have 2000 kids and what, maybe 60 adults,all spread about and not able to effectively monitor most of those kids. That's just asking for trouble.

The reality is that there will be times I am not with my child, and as my child grows older he will demand greater independence from me. If I'm too protective, I do him a great disservice.

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
"It's a tribute to teachers and exceptional staff that so many children do learn a variety of subjects adequately at school. I think most parents do homeschool their children, after school. It's all that other stuff that goes on during the school day that gets in the way of most children."

yes, but it's sad the children have to stop at adequate.

Meg
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
Koala
Koala
"Schools are dangerous places, I agree. But, I'll reiterate. Schools have control over their employees and students (theoretically) and can (if they wanted to) control bullying, gang activity on campus, drug access/use on campus, hiring of employees with criminal histories, etc. "

Theoretically, but in real life, they just can't. School will never be what it should be or needs to be for every child. School wasn't designed to be that anyhow. School was designed to make good workers, identical cogs. We can say the environment is changing, but it's really not.

Meg

Last edited by Meg_Homeschooling; 10/03/06 10:42 AM.
Koala
Koala
Again, not to belittle the horrific nature of this crime, but to shift the focus back to a more reality based state--
U.S. Department of Justice stats also indicate that school related deaths of students/faculty/staff continue to be rare--despite the media's attempt to indicate this is a "trend."

You are in more danger of dying walking down a city street.

Yes, schools are still dangerous.

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Quote:
....How many more innocent people have to die like this before America does something about its Gun Laws? The situation is abhorrent and execrable.

I am not pro-gun, that needs to be said.

Ok, that said...I live in a city where, honest to pete, it is written into city law that all heads of household MUST own a gun. It was a reaction to anti-gun laws of the 1980s. No one has ever been prosecuted for not owning a gun, but the law is there.

ya know what...the crime rate went down 80% after the law and the city continues to have the lowest crime rate in the state and one of the lowest in the country.

Gun laws aren't the answer, I wish they were. The movie "Bowling for Columbine" explains it better than I could. it's worth a view.

Meg

Meg
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
Zebra
Zebra
Seen it. That's why the likes of Charleton Heston make me wish you'd ban the damned things....

Seen 'Lord of War' With Nic Cage....? Scary.

Koala
Koala
The World Almanac cites there are 192 countries (of course, with civil wars, etc., the number changes). The UK ranks #46 on the list (as of 2005) for the number of murders--so murder goes on despite gun control.

Yes, the U.S. ranks #24; but if you take a look at the USDOJ stats, only slightly more than half of U.S. violent crimes in 2005 were conducted with a weapon (undefined type).

So taking away the gun isn't going to stop the violence... change it maybe... stop it, no.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I don't have stats in front of me, but did you look at violence in general or murder stats?

Koala
Koala
The rankings by country cited above are strictly for murder. (See NationMaster.Com for Murders (per capit) by Country.

Koala
Koala
I apologize, Meg, if I'm hogging your forum today; but, I really feel that its important we distinguish between reality and media hype on this topic.

MSNBC today cited some very specific statistics related to homicides in schools (of course, the info was buried at the END of the article).

In today's article, "10 Myths About School Shootings" Bill Dedman wrote "Even including the more common violence that is gang-related or dispute-related, only 12 to 20 homicides a year occur in the 100,000 schools in the U.S." (See article, page 2, at the very end.)

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.