logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Wow -- to me, that seems a little harsh TWalters and Alexandra!

What's wrong with Frank posting his opinion? I don't think he was attacking or insulting anyone; in fact, I appreciated his point of view. It's worthy of an interesting discussion -- and what if he's right??

Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
T
Laurie Pawlik-Kienlen,

Can't you see Frank was being sarcastic and insensitive to the way women often feel when seeing beautiful women in the media? He was obviously making light of something that really does have a negative affect on women and their self-esteem. That was offensive to me, and until he becomes a woman and can truly relate to the issues being discussed in this forum, then I'm really not interested in what he has to say.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I understand your point - and I agree, sarcasm and insensitivity are offensive.

Do you have to be a woman to discuss these issues?

Zebra
Zebra
For my poart, I apologise if I came over as insulting. Humour is hard to put over....

I don't think you need to be a woman to discuss most issues, but in this case, when it's very obvious that for the most part, women look at women's bodies in a different way to the way men do, I think it is more of a 'female' discussion than a mixed-gender one.

That said, I do know men who also view the wanton display of naked women's bodies, utilised as a sales or advertising measure, to be generally insulting. And some men do respect that we find it demeaning, agreeing that it just sends out the wrong messages generally ....

T
T
No, you don't have to be only a woman to discuss these issues, but honestly, I don't think most women will be as willing to hear a man's point of view if the man is being insensitive or sarcastic. Give me a man who is truly sensitive to the issue and is willing to be a little understanding, I will will be happy to give an open ear to his point of view.

T
T
I also want to add, Laurie, that I think you do a great job addressing topics about body image that get good discussions going. Since I've discovered this forum, it has truly been a good outlet for me to express myself concerning these issues. These are things that I think really bother a lot of women, but too often we bottle up the fustration that we feel. It's been theraputic for me in a sense to talk about it, and I've noticed that because I have, I think less about it, and I don't let it bother me as much. Unfortunately, women will probably always have to deal with negative effects of the media on our body image. Maybe the true secret is to be able to express our feelings and conerns openly, learn how to deal with it within ourselves to be happier and more confident regardless of all we have to deal with. Keep up the good work!

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Thanks -- I really appreciate your feedback! I'm glad you you feel better when you talk about it. It's just like venting; simply saying it, getting it out there, often makes us feel better - especially in a forum with other women who feel the same way.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.