Next Thread
Print Thread
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
This week's article is on creating multi-dimensional characters. Do you like to start your book with your characters fully sketched out? Or do you prefer to let them unravel as you write?

I like to start with a little bit of information, so that I know I'm willing to invest my time in a character I actually like and respect. I've scrapped a main character before after two drafts (ouch!), because she was too needy and pathetic - it was only when I realised this, that the reasons the book was so hard to write became apparent. You get a lot of writer's block when you stick yourself with a loser for a character.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I had to laugh. So very true.
I have a "steady"- a man I've written a great deal about, and he's still my favorite. It's so easy to put him in a story, because I know how his thoughts and actions as well as I know my own.

Jenna Sawyer
Atheist/Agnostic
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
That's a great way to study how different plots are swayed by a particular character's personality and behaviour. Will you use him in a novel one day?

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Yes, in the one I'm working on right now. I've known him so long, so to speak, that it's almost like he helped build the story with me. Well, of course, he did, in a sense.

Jenna Sawyer
Atheist/Agnostic
B
Amoeba
Amoeba
B
I feel like I'm interviewing my characters as I write. They kind of sit down and tell me their story. By the end I know them better than myself (depending of course on their personality--I had one that used to lie to me all the time until I realized that was just her--sounds crazy, I know.) Some characters, like people, are just fully present and I get their personalities right away, some have to be discovered and turn out to be very fascinating.

E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
How wonderfully devious of her! I've had characters who say one thing, but their behaviour contradicts what they're thinking - but they've firmly convinced themselves.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.