logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#258593 07/27/06 12:44 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Im actually doiing this...Ill be moving tuesday to SC with my boyfriend who is in the Navy. I fully intend upon working and being an independant woman. This will however be my first time away from home...granted home will only be 15 hours away...but its not the same as coming over to watch tv and mooch a meal.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#258594 07/28/06 12:39 AM
K
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
K
Hi Wendy...how exciting for you about the move to SC. I hope everything goes smoothly for you in the moving process. You're brave in my opinion...15 hours is a long ways from home, especially for the first time away. Stay safe in your travels & best of luck to you!

Kristy

Kristy Jackson
K
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
K
Hi everyone,
Yale Daily news published an interesting article on this topic, in response to an article that ran in the NY Times about how people are waiting to get married.

Anyway, the Yale article says most people are worried about whether or not to relocate to the same city, rather than things like marriage. Here's the link to the Yale article (you have to scroll down a bit on the Yale page to read the article):
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Kristy Jackson
Shark
Shark
My best friend did this...moved from Northern Virginia to Southern Cali with her boyfriend because he was in the Navy. They are now engaged but she has no friends of her own there and has to tag along everywhere with him. His friends resent this and she is homesick all the time. I would say I don't recommend doing this (unless it is somewhere you really want to go).

*~*SwishyKid*~*
K
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
K
How do you decide who's job takes precedence? Do you take turns or go with whoever makes the most money?

Readers--your thoughts?

Thanks,
Kristy

Kristy Jackson
Amoeba
Amoeba
Whoever makes the most money is one way to decide if job opportunities are about equal, but sometimes one partner's career choice is easier to accomidate than the other one.
For example, when my husband and I were first married, we lived in a city where there was a big pharmaceutical company. My husband was offered a job with them, but I was homesick and wanted to move back closer to home. I worked in a hospital laboratory and could get a job like that anywhere, but a job like the one I made my husband give up wasn't available back home. So, looking back, I probably should have sucked it up and stayed where we were.

Michele

We journey now into the unknown. Does anyone have a map?
G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Give yourself an out. Move to be with him, fine, but make sure it's someplace you actually want to be stuck if the two of you split up, and make sure you have a job, a place to live, etc. and aren't in trouble if he says "we're ending it, now move out." And always have a backup if that falls through.

You should never do something FOR your boyfriend like have a threesome, alienate yourself from your family, or make a life changing descision. Consult with yourself. Are there any oppotunities in you field in the new location, is it a location hat suits your personality, do you see your self with him forever?, does he respect you? do you respect him, do you know who you are as an individual as opposed to as a part of a relationship. Word to the wise never do something so drastic unless its for you or your family in absolutely dire straights.

Originally Posted By: Kristy_postcollege
How do you decide who's job takes precedence? Do you take turns or go with whoever makes the most money?

Readers--your thoughts?

Thanks,
Kristy

As unmarried individuals, Your job takes precedence when you're the one who is deciding whether to stay or go. especially if his descicion is a;ready made.

L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
When I was in college the first time, I DIDN'T go away to college because I had a boyfriend I didn't want to leave behind. That didn't work out. We eventually broke up and I ended up stuck in a dead end job.

When I went back to college a second time several years later, I decided to go away to college because it was the best choice for me (and my boyfriend had some options in the town I was looking at). I went to improve myself - my boyfriend coming along was just icing on the cake. We ended up getting married and are expecting our first child in a month!

I think that this is really similar to the "what to do AFTER college" thing. Either way, don't let a boyfriend be the determining factor on what is going to be best for you in the long run. Don't just have a back-up plan, have a plan where your life comes first. If the guy is the right one for you, he will be as happy for you as you will be for yourself and won't be going anywhere.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.