logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
Hi everyone! I'm in my last week of training to be the new Republican Party Editor, so I'll be graduating soon. Also, today is my birthday and to celebrate I thought I would share a recent affirmative action article I read a few days ago.

Affirmative Action Sacrifices Students

As you can probably tell from my article on black Americans, I'm against affirmative action. Mostly because it hurts achievement and discredits merit.

What are your thoughts on affirmative action? Do you think it is fair? Are there any other articles or websites that have good information on the subject?

Are you for or against affirmative action?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 06/30/06 12:00 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by LindaSueRepublican; 06/18/07 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I just finished your article. This is a discussion we get into sometimes because my husband is a history teacher at the local high school. He has a lot of kids who turn to selling drugs instead of their books. He is trying to find a way to reach them and help them have better than the streets.

K
OP Offline
K
Hi Judith,

Thank you for sharing!

I commend your husband for being a teacher, especially for high school students. Teaching is so difficult but those with a heart like your husband's are the best thing for our society.

He, and other teachers, should remember that there is a limit to what they can do. Some children will end up on the streets no matter how great of a teacher they have. Family influence often trumps educational influence. That's why affirmative action bothers me so much. It lowers expectations for minority students. That hurts everyone involved.

I think affirmative action is especially useless in a country where we have access to junior colleges. High school is not the last chance. I myself went to a junior college for two years and transferred to Azusa Pacific University. I didn't have the high school grades and SAT scores to go straight to a four-year. I was lacking motivation, while many students lack the skills and motivation to succeed. I went from a 2.5 in high school to a 3.5 in college. Without junior college, I might have given up on higher education. However, I had a great family to support me. Many minority students do not. But the government can't make up for a bad home situation.

Again, your husband is amazing to take on the challenge of teaching. I pray that he successfully encourages his students to take control of their lives so they don't have to rely on the government or anyone else for their well-being.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thank you for the kind words. He is in a bad situation when it comes to his students. He has many who do not have the encouragement at home. At their school, they have a high pregnancy rate because guys only date girls who are NOT on birth control. Children have become a status symbol. The kids he ends up teaching are not heading for junior colleges or tech school. Many won't get a high school degree. I think what bothers him the most are the kids who show up waiting for the time they can quit school and not lose their licenses. Even if affirmative action worked, it would never work for these kids.

L
L
Students have to be competitive. I am troubled when I read that the typical black law student ranks in the bottom 10th percentile of the class. Not only are you less assured of success as a law student but your very presence and performance reinforces stereotypes.

But what's the alternative? Is Black America ready for the end of affirmative action? I'm not sure Kristi gives us a clear answer from a black perspective. Only 13.7% of Black Americans are conservative and about 7% are Republicans.

Langston (aka Twyman)

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I think black (white, pink, purple, brown, and polka dot) America is more than ready for the end of Affirmative Action. The question should me more accurately whether America is ready for the success of those who were previously thought to be victims - self proclaimed or otherwise.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.