logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I am doing online browsing as we can't get much of anything around here except for what the vet sells. Seems like most products are liver flavored. I have to have the only dogs (am only giving this to one dog...but have 3 dogs and none will eat liver flavored treats) that don't like liver! And I would prefer that she takes her supplements willingly.

Currently she is taking a suplement that consists of 500 mgs of Glucosamine, 400 mgs of Chondroitin, 100 mgs of MSM 33 mgs of asorbic acid and 5 mgs of manganese. This is what my vet recommended (of course, he also sells this and this is what we are doing right now).

I have been reading up on displasia and I feel like she would probably could be getting more supplements. Also I feel like she would benefit by getting some Vitamin C as well. I am open to any suggestions, our girl will be 5 in August.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Have you tried wrapping her supplements in something she will eat - like cheese? Don't know of any supplements for hip dysplasia as such, just the ones you mentioned that are for arthritis. I take it you don't have any pet stores (like Petco or PetSmart) or a WalMart. They both sell supplements like you are looking for. So does a mail-order outfit called Dr. Foster and Smith (I think that's what they are called).

Kathi
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Yes, we have Walmart, but their selection leaves something to be desired. I didn't even think about the Drs. Foster and Smith...I will have to browse their online site.

For now she eats her supplement but I have to put it in her supper along with her thyroid pill and she will eat them both. (I mix part of a can of dog food and a little water with her dry food). If I try to give her just the pills alone she won't eat them. I have tried different dog treats that are liver flavored and also liver flavored canned food but she (and my other 2 dogs) won't touch anything with liver flavor. I think she could be getting a better doseage of supplements than what is in these we are using and the cost is pretty expensive (these are from my vet). It was around $90 for a month supply of supplement. I think it would be way cheaper elsewhere.

~anonymous~
P
P
One of our dogs has reasonably mild hip dysplasia and we give her a suppliment by a company called Naf called Canine Comfort. It is a powder we put in her meals and when we checked with the vet they couldn't see anythign harmful however it has ha brilliant results with Flo's mobility. She has had to have any painkillers for about two years - and she had a litter of six pups 6months ago with no effects to her or them.
Unfortunately this is in the UK and I don't know if Naf distribute in the US or might ship over but I do know of other dogs sho are happier and have been able to reduce painkillers and anti inflammatory drugs.

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thanks Pamela...I will look into this. For now I purchased a supplement from 1800petmeds. It has the same amounts of stuff as the one I purchased at my vets. I am glad that your Flo is feeling good. I was so happy to see my August feeling more like her old self. What breed is Flo?

~anonymous~
Shark
Shark
Does everyone suffer with their pets like I do? When my dogs aren't their normal selves (and my cats, too for that matter) I am absolutely a crazy person until I get them back to normal...

I am glad you folks are finding some relief for your pets' pain. I will keep them in my prayers.

Kathi
P
P
Hi Connie, good luck with that new product. Flo is a mongrel, she looks like black & tan german shepherd crossed with ?. She and her sister have a bit of everything in them. Must find a way of hosting pics so I could post a picture of them. Fable, Flo's sister, is more lab like than Flo but I'm sure her hip problems come from the german shepherd side although head down rabbit holes for hours on end doesn't help!! She is certainly worse when allowed to dig too much as it puts too much strain on her back.

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Kathi, thanks so much...yes, I suffer with my pets! I guess it is an emptying nest thing. I have one of my 4 children still at home and having 4 kids was a lot of mothering! Right now I have a catfish in the hospital tank as something happened to his tail and he is being medicated for that. I check on him at least once an hour. My husband asks how I could be so attached to a fish!

Pamela, you could try Boomspeed I have used them and not had any problems at all. I am glad to hear your girl continues to feel better.

~anonymous~

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.