Print Thread
#237798 03/19/06 05:04 PM
Megan M Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Far north Queensland is about to be hit by Tropical Cyclone Larry. He's a Category 5 - which makes him as nasty as Hurricane Katrina

Prayers for all of those in FNQ who will be affected would be appreciated.

This is gong to be nasty - at this time of the year that area (from Townsville up to Cairns and beyond) has a lot of tourists there, and the authorities have had a hard time convincing them that there is danger. By now, they will know.

The Qld government has not yet set up it's emergency website and hotline - they'll probably do that today - and I'll post it here when I have the details.

Megan McConnell
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#237799 03/22/06 02:04 PM
Megan M Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Larry has passed and the town of Innisfail in North Qld is almost gone. Babinda, though, was the worst hit, with over 80% of the town destroyed.

The worst part is that because of the rain (and it;s still raining up there) there is massive flooding which is hampering efforts to get relief to those who desperately need it.

There have been major government pledges of financial assistance to both people and the businesses that have suffered, however that's also delayed.

Complaints from people who ahve waited for over 5 hours to get emergency funds from social security offices abound. I can understand the frustration, but can also see the other side. They're using local offices with the local staff - who would be in the same boat as those they're trying to help.

I know everybody is suffering, but perhaps the best idea would be for the business to give credit to the locals, and keep the records (name and address) and then submit that to Social Security for reimbursement. Then, at least, people would be able to get the food they need, without having to stand in the rain waiting for cash.

This really has been devastation for us in Queensland - we've had cyclones before, but none in the "end of the world" category, and I, for one, can now fully understand what New Orleans went through with Katrina

Damage is estimated to be about 1 billion Aussie $$

But... Australia has a great history of rebuilding after cylone devastation.

Darwin, in 1974, was razed by Cyclone Tracy, and used that opportunity to build bigger, better and safer.

Megan McConnell
#237800 03/28/06 10:03 PM
E
Koala
Koala
E
My thoughts go out to everyone in FNQ and now in North Western Australia where the next cyclone is scheduled to hit sometime this evening.

You're right, Aussie does have a good history of rebuilding and we have been highly encouraged by the fact that Peter Cosgrove has been appointed to live in Innisfail and head the rebuilding team there - he was involved in the rebuilding of Darwin, so I think he knows what needs doing.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.