logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#231805 02/11/06 03:26 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I was wondering if any of you use additives to your soap? I'm speaking of olive oil, seeds (for exfoliation), powdered oatmeal, etc?
That's what I'm intending to do, and I was wondering about how your experiences have gone and if there's anything I just "need to know" before I attempt my first batch. Thanks!

http://www.seekingenlightenment.com
***From Aromatherapy to Zen, we've got all of your spiritual and healing information. Also check out our FREE Love Spells section and our Bath and Body page to turn your regular tub into a day spa experience***
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#231806 02/11/06 07:28 PM
P
P
I always use oils to "super-fatten" my soap. I've also added oatmeal (after grinding it up) and honey in my soaps. I've never experienced any problems, just make sure they're completely mixed in. I once had the oatmeal "floating" on the top of my bars.

#231807 02/11/06 07:45 PM
C
OP Offline
C
See, that's precisely why I had to ask. My Ex Husband has eczema, and when I first got into the idea of soapmaking I wanted to do the copycat of Aveeno's oatmeal soap. At 5 bucks a bar, it's tons cheaper at home. That and, I could sneak in other ingredients that would be great for his skin that he'd be too proud to use. For example:

I'm a HUGE fan of olive oil, I use a few capfulls in every bath I take. Exfoliate with a sugar scrub, toss the olive oil in and swish it around in the water - Baby soft skin when you step out. Just pat dry.

But speaking of a bath bar for myself, I'd like exfoliation and olive oil or other moisturizers in the same bar.

Any tips for a long lasting scent? I know if you add too much fragrance, the batch turns out horrid. But I was wondering if perhaps certain bases held fragrances better than others?

http://www.seekingenlightenment.com
***From Aromatherapy to Zen, we've got all of your spiritual and healing information. Also check out our FREE Love Spells section and our Bath and Body page to turn your regular tub into a day spa experience***
#231808 04/20/06 11:06 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
try adding fragrance to a carrier oil first i usuall use around fifteen/twenty drops of fragrance to a batch which makes 40 bars.
additives oatmeal is great better in melt and pour a bit harsh in milled
you can use cocoa butter as a moisturiser add it at the heating procrss only heat in small doses flamable always add vit e when adding oli based items as stops going rancid

#231809 11/11/06 10:05 PM
Have you tried making CP or HP soap?

Irena
Ginger's Garden Soaps, Candles & Skin Care
http:www.gingersgarden.com
soapbuddy #301805 03/23/07 02:26 PM
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
I make my own olive oil soap. I have added fruit, vegetables, herbs, essential oils, green tea, milk and baking soda to my soaps. My favorites? squash, honey, green tea, lemons and baking soda.

Kim DeLeary
Paranormal Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.