logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bhh Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I've just started to learn tatting. Teaching myself from everything I've read online and a little card kit. I'm using a needle. I wonder if I'm doing chains right. When I slide them off the needle and down the thread, how do I keep it looking like a chain and not a ring? If I pull the thread till you can't see it anymore it closes like a ring. And from the pictures I've seen it looks like the chains are supposed to stay long, curved maybe, but not closed. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Last edited by bhh; 11/27/05 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
Hi,
I don't needle tat only shuttle, but it shounds like you are pulling your chain too tight. Let the stitches come together but don't pull to much. I hope this helps.
Sandy61

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
It sounds to me as if you are putting the needle through the loop of thread at the base of the chain as you draw it up. You only do that if you are forming an SCMR, for normal chains you do not put the needle through any of the previous work, you pull the needle and thread straight through the stitches.

B
bhh Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Figured out my problem...was trying to make a chain while working from a cut piece of thread instead of off the ball. From what I can tell working off the ball is the only way you can do a chain in needle tatting. Do you agree?
I may consider buying a shuttle - could you recommend one for a beginner? There's a snowflake I'd like to do and modifying the pattern to change the connecting thread to chains makes it a bit less delicate. Thanks for your help.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
As far as working a chain without cutting it off from the ball thread is concerned, you CAN start by cutting an extra long length of thread and starting in the middle of your thread, but it gives you fewer ends to finish off later on and a much neater start if you start without cutting off from the ball thread. I always buy two balls of thread so that I can refill my shuttle or needle from one ball and make chains from the other.

My favourite plastic shuttle is the German Inox tortoiseshell look one - it has a post in the middle to which you tie your thread, holds masses of thread (and beads too if you want them) and I've used mine for years and they never wear out.

You can get them here - http://www.hhtatting.com/detail.cfm?ID=22

You might also like to try the Clover shuttles available on this page - http://www.hhtatting.com/category_results.cfm?Category=6

Some people like shuttles with a pick, some like them without and of course there are the other special shuttles but I would recommend sticking with an inexpensive plastic shuttle for now till you know whether you like shuttle tatting.

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.