logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My MIL has stopped smoking. She can't handle the smoke smell now. It is funny that all the people that use to get offend when we complained about smoking around us and our kids are now the ones that are complaining about others. One of my BILs and I got into a fight one time about someone smoking outside, but right next to us. I am very protective of my kids because they were both on lung machines when they were born. Since he stopped smoking, he is the first one complaining.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
A bit eschew of this topic, but something that garners some thought - in culinary school we as students were told to terminate wearing any cologne or perfumes. Non-intrusive soaps and body washes were allowed but the Chef Instructor challenged us with this. We tested our nose that first day and again two weeks later. The amazing clarity of my palate and my nose after these 2 weeks of no perfumes or colognes was amazing!

I can now catch all types of scents sooner than most of my family. I enjoy more now shopping for fresh fruits, vegetables and meats. Being able to tell when something cooking in the oven or on the stovetop is ready has become somewhat of a joke to my husband and son. Strong perfumes and colognes are offensive to me now, more so than ever before.

That said, I can only imagine how an asthmatic may react to a strong scent. Especially when confronting the "signature" scent of someone who has applied that scent to their body and their clothing over a long period of time. Perfumes and colognes tend to take more than just an initial washing to remove. With constant re-application and the "numbing" of the wearer's nose, the scent cloud only grows.

Chef Catherine Bridges
Sandwiches @ Bellaonline
Mom, wife, chef and writer!
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Quote:
it's the same with smoking, too - people in other countries seem to smoke a lot, everywhere. Most places I've lived, you can't smoke in bars and restaurants any more. it's always a shock to me now when i go places and have to breathe in people's smoke.

This is an excellent analogy! Non-smokers are often accused of infringing on smokers' rights, yet have you ever heard of a heavy douser of parum or cologne insisting that it's her right to wear as much as she wishes?!

That's the one thing I loathe about Europe, all the smoking. I live in the US now, and when I return, it's a nasty shock.

Shark
Shark
I'm very sensitive to perfumes and colognes and it just about kills me when I ride the bus to work in the morning and get stuck sitting next to some lady who smells like she was marinating all night. I almost think I'd rather sit next to someone with B.O. (*almost*)

Last December, Washington state enacted the most stringent smoking laws in the nation. Now if people want to smoke in public they have to go stand in the middle of the street. I'm not sure how *fair* it is....but as a non-smoker I like it just fine.

Mother always said that even when things seem bad there's someone else who's having a worse day. Like being stung by a bee or getting a splinter or being chained to the wall in someone's sex dungeon.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
We just got back from vacation/ family reunion where 10 of the relatives smoked the whole time. I can tell we have been away from smokers for a while. I am just so use to being away from it that I can smell it instantly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.