#221046 11/12/05 01:07 PM
L
Lynnk Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
L
Hello,

I have decided to return to grad school to get my Masters degree in Counseling. Part of the reason I have decided to do this is because the company I work for will pay 50% of the tuition. I found a great MA program that will work around my work schedule.

Once I have my MA in counseling, my ultimate dream is to continue on to get my Phd in Psychology. Here is the problem...all of the accredited Phd programs I have researched are full-time/day-time programs. How does an adult who has work to support themselves enter into one of these programs???
I will be about 33 by the time I am looking at the Phd programs....so it's not like I am a kid who can just live with parents while I finish my education.
Any suggestions/ideas/anything I'm missing here??
Please help!
Thanks.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."

-Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the Younger," Roman stoic philosopher, writer, and politician (4-65).
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#221047 11/12/05 08:16 PM
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
Hi Lynn,

I face the same problem and unfortunately have not found a solution. I finish my MS in Accounting in 5 weeks (YEA!!) and I am very interested in teaching so would love to have a PhD but I have a mortgage to pay, etc. so must work full-time. I know there are some online programs but I have not researched them indepth.

Sorry, wish I had an answer....

#221048 11/14/05 10:21 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
This is a major problem with US universities. Many of us in the same situation are now using REAL universities outside the US. I'm working on my doctorate through the University of South Africa. I met someone else who is doing her doctoral work through a university in Australia.

Wine Host, Italian Food, Library Sciences Host
#221049 03/04/06 01:44 AM
Koala
Koala
Hi, Lynn! Kudos on your decision to return to graduate school. I apologize this post is so late in coming, but I've just taken over administration of this site. If you are truly determined to pursue your education, there are ways to manage the full-time/day-time requirement. First, look into fellowships and assistantships in your Department and other areas of the university. Though usually these are part-time and don't pay big-bucks, combined with financial aid (usually loans), they can help you make it through. Internships are usually a part of a counseling degree, so I'd also recommend trying to find a paid internship. You may also wish to consider trying to find evening and/or weekend employment to help supplement your income. Best of luck to you! Lynn Byrne

Moderated by  Nicole-Graduate School 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:22 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.