logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C Lewis Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
The company my husband works for laid him off over a month ago. We filed for unemployment, which has been a nightmare in itself, but we found out today that the company didn't pay any unemployment benefits/insurance for at least two quarters. What now? I think this means we won't get unemployment. You can't withdraw it if they didn't put it in.

Anybody got advice?

Cheryl Lewis
Early Childhood
Coffee & Tea
Soapmaking

Bella Manager
Need Immediate Help? IM me
AIM ID->BellaCheryl
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Cheryl, look online for your state's website--unemployment is state-regulated and I'm sure it varies by state. If they're still in business, call a labor lawyer, too.

Then, look into other social services available in your area--some of these take some time to get going, so sooner is better. Your state or county may have a temporary assistance program, food stamps, child assistance, etc.

Since you're starting a business, you might be able to get a small business loan. Contact the local SBA for info.

C Lewis Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
The interesting part is that they claim they are going to take care of paying the unemployment benefits "early next week". Of course we've also been hearing that we would be going back to work "in a couple of more days" for a month.

Cheryl Lewis
Early Childhood
Coffee & Tea
Soapmaking

Bella Manager
AIM ID->BellaCheryl
Parakeet
Parakeet
Cheryl,
What your husband's former company did is illegal. They ARE responsible for making sure they pay into unemployment.
You can either get a labor lawyer or contact Legal Aid. They will tell you how to go about it.
Remember, no matter what the company says they do owe the money and they can be prosecuted. My Dad is a lawyer.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
C Lewis Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I figured it was illegal. I don't know that getting an attorney would do us any good. These people haven't paid overtime in months but we didn't say anything because we needed the paycheck and insurance. (We've got 4 kids, one of them has been REALLY sick since Sept 2.) The two former top execs are facing federal charges already for other stuff.

I think they kept telling us it would be a few more days to keep us from filing the unemployment. They knew it hadn't been paid. They were hoping we wouldn't file a claim.

Cheryl Lewis
Early Childhood
Coffee & Tea
Soapmaking

Bella Manager
AIM ID->BellaCheryl
Tiger
Tiger
Company didn't pay into Unemployment Benefits

Hi Bella Family:

As you can see I am doing the "cold case" routine = pulling up OLD posts(lol).

The sad part about all this is that "history" seems to be "repeating" itself and folks back in 2005 were experiencing what we are now experiencing in 2011.

Anyway, would love to hear from BOTH the "unemployed" and "employed" = WE ALL have some helpful info to share with the rest of the Bella family.

Me personally, never encountered this issue, but my heart goes out to the folks that have. I hear this issue EVERY day on the city bus or at the labor department that I visit daily. Something has to change like yesterday!

Now your turn...

Thanks,

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.