logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
In primary school from 1949 to 1958 music was a regular part of the curriculum. From my birth in 1944 my mother and father both played the piano until it was sold in about 1957 due to financial need. My parents also sang in church choirs and listened to classical music around the house until my father died in 1965. My mother and I then moved into different houses. In the mid-to-late fifties I became interested in rock and roll and listened to it on a small radio in my bedroom in Burlington. I bought my first LP in about 1965 and added it to the one LP that I kept from my parents� collection: Handel�s Messiah. I learned to play the guitar in 1968 after listening to guitar music for perhaps 15 years. Folk music was part of this experience, part of the 15 years of listening.

In 1989 I taught guitar to a class of Aboriginal students at Thornlie Tafe. I led sing-alongs from 1968 to 1999 when I retired from the teaching profession. Much of this music was folk music. In 2001 I joined a small choir in George Town to sing to senior citizens at Ainslie House and I continued until 2005. Such, in summary, is a brief history of my musical experience.

From 2002 to 2005 I made a list of the pieces of music I have enjoyed. I continue to add to the list; it can be found in this section of the file. I have also opened a file(not included here) which contains a list of articles about music, articles I began to save in 1984, but did not begin to save seriously until the year 2000. By 2003 I required a separate file for these articles and items. The main function of this resource, thusfar, nearly twenty years in the making, but only a serious collection for the last four years, has been to help me write poetry. Obviously, it helps me gain an increased appreciation of music as well. Folk music was like a quiet thread running through so much of my musical experience, playing a guitar, listening to others, going to 'folk clubs,' et cetera.

I 2004 I conjoined �dance� with music which became two 2-ring binders. The Nureyev special which I saw in September of 2004 inspired the creation of this new section of an arts file. Dance really had little part in my personal life: square/folk dancing in 1957/8, the occasional high school dance from 1958 to 1963 and the occasional dance in my four years at university. Folk dances were sprinkled through the years until the early 1990s.

My first wife, Judy, and my second wife, Chris, and I have done little dancing together with the rare exception of folk dances, although even then the experiences were seldom. I have done little dancing outside my marriages and none that I can recall after 1984 when I went by myself to a dance in Katherine. I could say more about dances I attended, both inside and outside the Baha�i community that I was a part of for so many years, but I shall leave that for now.

Ron Price
May 17th 2005

married for 45 years, a teacher for 35, a Baha'i for 53 and a writer and editor for 13(in 2012)
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Ron ... thank you so much for sharing this.

Like you (although I have never played music)music has been a steadying force in my life. I have enjoyed all genres but Folk Music has been always there. These past few years as I have tried to redefine my life and put it on the right track, Root music has been an ever growing fasination. From Celtic, to Bluegrass, to Zydeco, to Cajun ... all with roots in traditional folk music of the people.

Dance for me was always at the center of my being ... however being married to the wrong man for so many years and then in a second poor relationship, the desire to dance in me was denied. Since returning home and determined to find my peace within myself, dance has once again become a joy in my life. I have found Zydeco and Cajun dance to be ever uplifting. I've dabbled in Ceili which I also enjoyed but hard to find opportunities to dance it. I am seriously considering lessons in Step Dancing and possible applician clogging.

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.