logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Shark
Shark
People are looting because they are hungry, not because they just want a new TV, they put them in the super dome with no water or food or provisions. If they were too poor to get out, they were too poor to have 5 days worth of stuff with them.
Yes, there are a few people acting crazy but most people have not eaten for 3 days. Those who were moved were taken to places and still didnt get food. I have only seen the Salvation Army feeding people and that was in Mississippi.

Dr. Letitia S. Wright,D.C.
Prime Time TV Editor/Host
www.bellaonline.com/site/primetimetv
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Quote:
On a more serious note, the Army Corps of Engineers handles the Mississippi flood levees and those for New Orleans, as well as other coastal erosion and such. They had the levee improvements and pump improvements schedueld years ago but teh funding was pulled and sent to Iraq. This is part of the price we pay.

Kai

Right after the hurricane hit, I heard an ACOE guy being interviewed on TV. The levees were rated to withstand a Cat 3 storm. He was asked "Why did you not improve the levees to withstand a higher category storm?" His outrageous answer was that "the ACOE had done a cost-benefit analysis and decided it was not worth improving them at this time."

My husband and I both started screaming at this outrageous statement, but it is probably not far from the - disgusting - truth. The horror we are seeing today (the cost) could not compare with whatever Bush thought we would gain from the Irag business.

Gecko
Gecko
But that's the thing, not everyone is! You don't see people running out of stores loaded down with groceries, they have VCRs and TVs! What the heck are they going to do with this stuff when there is no electricity?!?

The fact is, extreme conditions like this either bring out the best or worst in man. I can easily understand a father reaking into a store to steal formula or cereal, and I would bet the police would have a more sympathetic bent, too. It's these idiots that are taking advantage of the chaos to rip off their fellow man for their hard-earned businesses that is unforgivable. AND the fact that they are willing to shoot each other instead of helping one another out (when they are all in the same position).

Children, elderly, and the sick come first - that's just the way it should be if people have any compassion.

Michelle Taylor
Why me? What did I do to deserve this?
(go on, ask)
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Quote:
AND the fact that they are willing to shoot each other instead of helping one another out

I truly cannot find any way to understand this behavior. What is prompting some people to shoot at police and rescue workers? Can ANYONE offer an explanation for this behavior?

very naive and perplexed,
Nancy

Gecko
Gecko
Someon in Sri Langa was interviewed and stated "after the tsunami all of our people helped one another, poor and rich. In America they are shooting at one another. Now we know where civilization truly resides."

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Unfortuantely this is true. I am saddned by the behavior of these people.

Wine Host, Italian Food, Library Sciences Host
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I wonder how you eat or drink boxes of sneakers.

Robert F. Stachurski
Gecko
Gecko
Who was the HAM radio operator on the forum??? I was watching the news this morning and they're in need of HAM radio operators in that region to help out with the situation.

Tomek

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. -St. Paul
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I think our resident HAM operator is Bob in Virginia.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Quote:
Someon in Sri Langa was interviewed and stated "after the tsunami all of our people helped one another, poor and rich. In America they are shooting at one another. Now we know where civilization truly resides."

Please also keep in mind that the news media is focusing on downtown NO and that is where the severest problems seem to have been in terms of looting, shooting, etc. There were close to a million (I think) people who evacuated before the storm from all the suburbs etc. of NO. There is also a huge area beyond NO that was impacted.

From what I have read in various blogs and emails, the majority of those people have lost everything, but they are already planning how they will carry on (they are not looting, shooting, waiting for the gov'ment). They are helping themselves and each other.

ALso, there is a TREMENDOUS grass roots effort swelling up to help everyone who needs help. People from neighboring states - churches, community groups, private homeowners etc.- are taking people in. I don't know if any will come to Massachusetts, but they might.

It is unfortunate that the media has focused on the bottom 5% of this tragedy (that's what they do - bottom 5% and top 5%, nothing else is newsworthy).

There is a lot of good out there.

What have you done to help?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.