logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2017 01/02/03 11:20 PM
kirrie Offline OP
OP Offline
I dont have a filter (im' new user) so i clean (my big sis actually) cleans the tank by while cleaning tank, has the fishy in a cup with old water (or new), as she places the fishy to the cup she uses it with a big spoon bowl, but how do u place it back in tank by not puttin old water in? help please and god bless!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#2018 01/03/03 02:09 AM
Hi macbella, I answered your post in the other thread. In short, what I said there was that there is no need at all to change 100% of the water; this is actually harmful rather than helpful. All you really need to do is take out 30% of the water, while the fish is still swimming in his home, and then change that with the same amount of fresh water. Do this on a regular basis, and he will be a lot less stressed than if you do 100% of the water on a less regular basis, because changing all the water at once can shock him into getting very sick, and destroy good bacteria in the gravel. Cleaning the tank is not really about getting all the dirt you can see out of the tank; it's about exchanging some of the impurities in the water that you *can't* see. These are called ammonia nitrite and nitrates (you can test for these, or bring in a water sample to your pet store, who will usually test it for you for free), and are explained in the link I posted on the other thread. Even crystal clear water can have these! So it's more just about diluting them down on a regular basis. Read the other post for more links; I hope that my article, Bringing Home Your First Betta, helps you out. Good luck and happy new year.

Dear Baby,
Welcome to Dumpsville. Population: You.
Signed,
Homer Simpson
#2019 01/04/03 08:24 PM
kirrie Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey thanks for writing back Bella!!
What you wrote about is really helpful and informant, I never knew that, the first time I cleaned the tank many things went wrong but the fishie turned out ok Thank God! So we decided never to clean it the same way because that was a scare (we cleaned the water 100%)But now that i know that it should be only about 30% that makes it much easier, I didn't know that it should be fed only about 1-2 pellets a day, I feed it four! but it seems to eat it well because if it wouldn't consume it I'd scoop it our becuase i wouldn't want to overfeed it. I feed it with Betta Bio Gold pellets. but thanks for the info again and God Bless!! and Happy New Year to u too!!

#2020 01/05/03 12:47 PM
Hi macbella--yes, they are greedy little guys and will learn to happily take what you give them. The idea in a small bowl is that it can get polluted very fast, the major problem is ammonia that comes from their poop. If you limit feedings, he should grow up strong and healthy all the same, but he won't have to suffer from bad water quality. Do this and the weekly (or eventually, you can get away with every other week after the bowl gets established a little more) partial water changes and he will be fine. If you do it all at once, it's like too sudden a change, since they breath and live underwater and there are conditions of water that may have changed, but that you can't see. Good luck with your betta... try to keep him warm (stable temperature) in these coming winter months, since he is a SE Asian fish that usually likes tropical temps.

Dear Baby,
Welcome to Dumpsville. Population: You.
Signed,
Homer Simpson

Moderated by  Mary_Betta_Fish 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.