Fourth of July is almost here - where is the summer going so fast?! I have an article with some party ideas, but what does everyone have planned? Does anyone have a special way to celebrate our country's independence? Here in our area there is a neighborhood on the lake that has a Pots and Pans Parade. All of the children and adults lineup with anything from their cupboards that will make alot of noise. Those that don't participate come out of their houses to watch the parade. The parade winds through backyards and midway through the group stops at a large chainsaw carving of a bald eagle overlooking the lake for a photo. At the end of the parade one of the houses has chairs and benches set up and tables of iced tea and lemonade to cool the marchers. Everyone sings patriotic songs together and the true sense of community is felt by all.

This parade has gone on for thirty years and this past year was the largest group of marchers at 27. It was my first year, but surely not my last! What a joy to celebrate the true spirit of America in America's Heartland!