logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
I get a lot of people writing to me looking for tattoo flash, the name given to the artwork that forms the basis of a new tattoo. I also get a lot of email from web sites that are run by anonymous guys who are offering to sell tattoo flash, even though they aren't tattoo artists themselves.

I my own experience, I bring pictures and reference materials to my tattoo artists and have them draw up my designs, which winds up being part of the overall price of the tattoo. I feel if I'm gonna pay for having a tattoo designed, it should be to the artist doing the work, and I'm also getting a custom design in the process.

What do you think? How do you deal with tattoo flash?

How do you deal with tattoo artwork?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 06/19/05 03:31 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Watching the poll results so far, the one with the greatest response is the #3. The answer with the lowest response is #2, which I find interesting in light of the amount of sites trying to sell just paid tattoo flash which are always writing and requesting a link exchange.

I design tattoos for people via the internet. Most of the customers I work with do not have a tattoo artist they are loyal to. Many are too busy to shop around for someone to draw for them as they have been turned down by anyone close to them or are too intimidated to ask. They feel more comfortable having the design that they definitely want before going into the shop. Some do have artists that they work with but the artist is too busy to do the drawing and recommends me, or just hasn't been able to hit on the idea that they want. I have a particular talent for being able to get a great feel for the people I work with, I consider it a gift, and I use it to fill a gap for people who need it. Personally I think all tattoo artists should draw for their customers, with a deposit being left for the artwork, but it just isn't a reality out in the world that it's happening.
I'm also a firm believer that tattooing and tattoo artwork should be treated the same as every other artform, not lessened because it is on skin. If an artists takes the time to create something he/she should be compensated. If they're really good, they should be compensated WELL!

Check out our work at
[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
M
M
I have many customers coming through the door with reference pictures for the tattoo they want. I redesign it and most of the time they prefer it that way because it isn't the exact design that someone else might have. I think it's always helpful to have a reference picture ,but if it is not possible then I do my best to make their idea come to life.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Actually my choice is not on the poll... I have always searched for art that I like, either in books or magazines and now on the internet. In some instances, I find several pieces that have something to contribute to my overall design and take the lot of them to either an artist friend or to my tattoo artist to be drawn up for my piece. For my last two pieces, I found art that I loved and that was perfect "as is"... Neither were designed to be tattoo flash per se, but that's what I wanted them for.

In both instances I contacted the artist for permission to use their art as my tattoo. One artist allowed the use grata, her only stipulation was that I send pictures of the finished tattoo to her and to credit her as the artist of the original art. The second artist gave me permission but required that I purchase a print of the art to take to my tattoo artist, which I was happy to do. He also asked for pictures of the finished product and to be credited if I posted pictures of my tattoo on the internet or had them published anywhere.

All of my art, however I acquired the inspiration, is original. My tattoo artist is as happy to ink someone else's original art as he is his own... As long as it is original, he's thrilled to put his talents to the test to put it permanently on my body.

All of that said, I think flash artists should be compensated for their work... They are artists, and some of them are amazingly talented. *shrugs* I don't use "flash" for my own tattoos because I don't want to take the chance that anyone else has what I have.

[color:"Red"]
You tell me that I sin.
You say I'm bound for hell.
So once your judgment condemns you
I SHALL SEE YOU THERE.
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
If I every get tattooed I will tell the artist what I want and let him draw it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.