Next Thread
Print Thread
Megan M Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Last Friday, Aussie girl Schapelle Corby was sentenced to 20 years in Denpasar jail for allegedly importing 4kg of Marijuana into Bali in her boogieboard bag.

Normally, this would be accepted by Australians, except that in Schapelle's case it had become rather blatantly obvious that nothing the defence did or said would have any influence whatsoever on the 3 Indonesian judges. In fact, the lead judge even said in an interview that they planned to discount the evidence given by the defence.

To make matters worse, about a month ago, 9 young Australian s were caught trying to smuggle heroin OUT of Bali. They have not been given the same sympathy by their fellow Aussies as they were caught with the stuff strapped to their bodies and obviously knew exactly what they were doing.

Feelings against Indonesia are running pretty high in Australia at present -with some people even calling charities and asking that their Tsunami aid donations be redirected into other avenues.

I did saw an article on Good Morning America (which is shown very early in the morning/late at night here in Australia)on Schapelle, and was wondering what anybody over there has heard.

Can you imagine what it must be like to be charged with a crime in a country where you not only don't speak the language, but where you are "Guilty until proved innocent", rather than the other way around?

I'd love to hear your comments and feelings on this matter.

Megan McConnell
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I think the trial was unfair because they didn't even check for fingerprints.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I only briefly saw one mention of the case on the news and that was the day she was sentened. The video showed her being brought into the room and seated on a chair. Then the sentence was read and it seemed that the guards went to get her and take her out of the courtroom without giving her a chance to speak to her family. She pulled away from them and went to her parents. Then she was removed from the court. That is all the news that we received here. I'm not a news junkie though and may have missed more of the case on other shows. A sentence of 20 years is harsh.

When you travel today you need to be careful of your luggage and what you transport including seeds and food, etc. When we traveled to Australia and New Zealand this past February, every check point means your luggage is searched. When we arrived in the States, our friend had purchased a package of seeds and they were confiscated.

Hi all, well I live in Adelaide, and the opinions of Schapelle has quickly changed from not guilty to guilty. There has been mixed emotions, and lots of debates over the past few months, and those who thought she was guilty stuck to their guns, while those who didn't reviewed the evidence, changed their minds.
One of the most damaging evidence is the fact that she took a cheap boogie board overseas. Why did she do that, when you can buy the best brands over there fairly cheaply. And she didn't lock the bag?? Come on, anyone who travels should lock all personal belongings. We lock our cars when we go shopping, or visiting friends etc, why would we leave unlocked luggage with strangers??
There is more I could say, like her family involvment in drugs and drug trafficking.
Some people believe she has done it before, and gotten away with it, but this time she got caught. Just like those stupid nine, who had done it many times before, but this year they were caught.
And I hope those nine get life in prison, a leaner sentance than the death penalty for this type of crime.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Barb, Some of your luggage should not be locked because the inspectors will just break the locks. However, carry-on luggage should never be left unattended. I've become very conscious about keeping an eye on my luggage at all times, my surroundings, and who is around me. You cannot be too cautious. Not only that, your luggage is sometimes checked several times before you get on the plane.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I see they are reviewing new evidence.

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.