Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#192715 05/20/05 05:40 PM
J
jisan Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have been taught to hold the fork in my left hand and the knife in my right hand. But i have been doing the total opposite as in holding the fork in my right hand and cutting food with the knife in my left hand and always getting scolded for it. My question is, is it truly improper to use the knife with your left hand?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#192716 05/24/05 12:55 PM
Shark
Shark
Honestly, I'm not quite sure where all the anxiety regarding which hand to hold the knife/fork came from. I had a question sent to me recently about the American switch (In America, we hold the utensils one way to cut the food and another way to eat it).
This caused a HUGE research project on my part to find the answers to questions like this.
So far I haven't found anything that states absolutely that you HAVE to cut your food with your left hand, because according to most experts, the hostess of a dinner should be considerate to those who are left handed and seat them at the end of the table so they wouldn't hit up against a right handed person since they would have to use their utensils with their right hand. That being said, I don't see how it could be wrong since most seating plans give consideration to those who are left handed and would use utensils differently than those who are right handed.

But like I said, I'm still researching this one and will have an article relating to this topic out sometime in June.

Does anyone else out there have a comment on this.

#192717 05/28/05 01:55 PM
Elephant
Elephant
I had an ex-boyfriend who could never seem to grasp the idea that you hold with the fork and cut with the knife, regardless of which hands he was holding them in. As he is left-handed, I tried to get him to use the more European method of not switching, thinking that might help, but to no avail.... Still to this day, if you watch him eat, he sort of stabs the food with the knife and then tries to tear off bits with the fork.

Maybe this is some sort of food utensil dyslexia???

My mother inherited the set of real European silverware from my father's side of the family. The backs of the forks are all as elaborate as the fronts, as you see that view when you maintain the fork in your left hand for cutting and eating. It's really quite lovely. Personally, I think the convention of switching utensils for cutting and eating is a personal choice, as it's not like you can't eat if you don't switch the silverware from one hand to the other.

#192718 06/27/05 06:55 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
When I was first in the Army I was stationed in Germany. I trained myself to eat with my fork in my left hand. It has come in very handy. Sometimes when at a very crowded table (banquets) it has made it more comfortable. I can adjust my eating style to the persons on either side of me.

Wait...isn't that a sign of good manners, making those around us comfortable? So, I guess it would be which ever style is appropriate for the moment.

Wine Host, Italian Food, Library Sciences Host

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.