Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#189859 04/26/05 12:45 PM
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
One of the major Sabbats of the year is nearly upon us. May 1st is Beltane. Maypoles and bonfires are the hallmark of this holiday. To learn more, you might like reading

Beltane Celebrations
or
May Day Rites and Rituals

Blessed Be!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#189860 04/28/05 10:59 AM
G
G
I was born the day after Beltane so my birthday is coming up very quick!
This year I have decided to have a beltane celebration/birthday gathering with lots of people, there is going to be a fire and a maypole in my back yard that my father and I are constructing, im very excited, but at the same time nervous. . . Many of the people who are attending are very close friends of mine but not all of them completely understand the importance of Beltane and I have tried several times to explain. I have also asked everyone to refrain from drinking hard liqour at the celebration and just sip contently on the mayday wine that will be provided, many people are over looking this celebration and considering it a chance to party, in the sence I am not wishing for. I wish full heartidly for my friends of non practice to join me on this day that has grown to be a large part of me over the years but am afraid their behaviour will insult others, what other ways can I try to help them understand without discouraging them from attending?...

Namaste
Gaelan

- Gaelan
#189861 04/29/05 01:12 PM
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Asking friends who don't necessarily share your beliefs to participate in an event is always going to lead to some different interpretations.

I'd make sure the invitation clearly spelled out the intention and purpose of the event. If the guests aren't clearly informed, your intentions will be unknown.

If you meant to have a ritual, you have to make that clear and then be prepared to take firm action to make sure the gathering stays on course. If you mean for this to be a party, you will have to clearly say what behavior is and isn't acceptable.

A lot of the rituals I go to have a clear start time, after which people aren't allowed in. This lets the sacred space be created intentionally and not "broken" by folks who keep arriving and don't know what is going on. Not sure if that is going to work for you, but that's what a lot of ritual organizers do to make it not like a free-for-all party.

#189862 04/30/05 03:58 PM
G
G
Rae thanks so much for the advice.
Unfortunatley last night something happened that wasnt the best way to start this weekend. But I believe that aside from distractions tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day (gathering the weather holds up). My Dad and I have been cleansing and preparing the house all day it is almost time for festive decorations to be put in place to settle for tomorrow.
I wish you a wonderful Beltane and happy practice

Namaste
Gaelan

- Gaelan
#189863 05/01/05 01:10 PM
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Well, Gaelan's having her gathering, and I'm joining the public ritual being held later today in SF by the Reclaiming Collective.

What are the rest of you doing for Beltane? Anyone have a bonfire last night?

#189864 05/02/05 07:49 PM
I attended a wonderful Beltane ritual complete with Maypole dancing!

It was a bit chilly, but the energy and company were wonderful!
Here are a couple of photo's....enjoy!

#189865 05/02/05 10:59 PM
G
G
Last night turned out amazing it was so much fun
we ended up having a bonfire which was perfect for the almost summer night. Stormispirit your may pole was absolutely beautiful very festive, my father contently laughed at our may pole after he saw yours and said "We needed some more ribbon". My maypole was quite crooked and not as beautifully decorated but still was fun to dance around and honor fertility!
It was a good way to incorperate my birthday into the Sabbat, much fun was present!...

Namaste
Gaelan

- Gaelan
#189866 05/02/05 11:28 PM
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
The Beltane ritual I went to was a public one, staged in a big meadow in Golden Gate Park. I'd say at least a 100 people turned up. I ran into a few people I know from my fire circles and a few that I hadn't seen in a long time.

Everyone was asked to bring flowers and before the ritual started, anyone who wanted to make a wreath for their head or hat could just take some flowers and do that. They had ribbon and some floral tape to hold the wreaths in shape. I found a good piece of ivy, added a few roses and festooned my sunhat.

Then they lit a fire inside a cauldron. It was full of salt and they poured in rubbing alcohol then lit it. This was the bonfire for jumping. People jumped alone or holding hands with friends and loved ones.

Then a Maypole was put up, the ribbons untangled, and a silly and slightly-chaotic Maypole dance commenced. It was a great way to spend a beautiful spring afternoon!

#189867 05/03/05 06:21 AM
Quote:
Stormispirit your may pole was absolutely beautiful very festive, my father contently laughed at our may pole after he saw yours and said "We needed some more ribbon".

Thank you. The reason there is so much ribbon is because this is the 6th year that it's been used. All the previous years ribbons are still there.
Your ritual sounds like it was fantastic! A fire would have been wonderful!

#189868 05/07/05 04:23 AM
G
G
I would absolutely love to share some photos with everyone, but unfortunately I am incompetant with computers, could anyone possibly explain to me how to post pictures? that would be wonderful thanks so much

Blessed be and Namaste
Gaelan

- Gaelan

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.