I just posted an article today about the talkings drums of Western Africa. Here's the link -> http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art20431.asp

I was telling my step-daughter about the talking drum on Saturday. She told me that one of the teachers at her school brought one in to show her class. I asked her if her teacher played it & she said, 'A little'. I asked her if the teacher had told the class about how villages used it to communicate with & how it was banned from African-American Slaves. She said no. Apparently, the teacher didn't give much of the interesting history of the talking drum. The teacher didn't even explain how you get different notes by squeezing the drum. For shame! This is a really cool drum.

So, read my article, learn some history, and there is even a link so you can hear it being played. And when your teacher brings the drum into your classroom you'll know a lot about it!

Of course, I continued to annoy my step-daughter about other African instruments for the next fifteen minutes - it's what I do best!