logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hi Everybody!

Let's share our favorite holistic approach (or question about an approach) to a health condition.

There are many safe and effective holistic approaches to all health conditions. I'll jump in and put my two cents in, too. Also, I'll direct you to any articles on my Holistic Health website for Bellaonline that might pertain.

Let's see how many interesting and useful tidbits we can share...

I'll start off with my favorite remedy for heartburn. I like to eat fennel, a great vegetable that Italian families often use after a heavy meal to help them digest. (For more ideas about heartburn, check out the complete article at http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art19321.asp

Let me hear from you about your remedies and questions!

Best,

Carolyn
HolisticHealth Host
http://HolisticHealth.bellaonline.com

Carolyn, Editor
my web site:
www.carolynchambersclark.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hi Everyone!

What is your favorite holistic treatment?

I'm hoping you'll chime in and share yours. I use imagery a lot. For example, I try to scan my body at least once a day by going inside myself and taking a look around. My favorite image is to pretend I'm on a geological mission with my flashlight and climbing shoes. If I detect any redness, blockage, darkness or blank spot, I picture pink healthy tissue.

It also works for me to go straight to picturing my body healthy inside and out.

Try this exercise and let me know your results!

In Health and Light,

Carolyn

Carolyn, Editor
my web site:
Amoeba
Amoeba
Carolyn,

I am the depression and fibcfs (fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome) hostess. I use Melatonin as a natural sleep aid. Insomnia is a given with my conditions. I also have a Reiki level I certification in USUI Reiki. I used to go to an acupuncturist pretty regularly. I can't afford it any more, but that's another story.

I also take Coral Calcium and Magnesium to help with my Fibro.

Deanna Couras Goodson
Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Thyroid Health Editor
fibcfs@bellaonline.com
http://www.bellaonline.com/site/FIBCFS
http://www.bellaonline.com/site/thyroidhealth
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hi Deanna,

Thanks for the input about what you do for fibro and chronic fatigue.

I just posted a new article on Vitamin D and how a physician at Boston University believes many people with Vitamin D deficiency are diagnosed with fibromyalgia. You may want to take a look at it at:
[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Carolyn, Editor
my web site:
What Causes Most Nutritional Disorders?

In my opinion, many health care practitioners, traditional and non-traditional, have overlooked the main underlying cause
of many or most nutritional disorders- faulty digestion. Rather than continuously treating the symptoms of poor digestion
(gas, heartburn, nausea, burping, bloating, upset stomach, acid indigestion, diarrhea), the logical remedy for actually
correcting this problem is to improve the person�s ability to digest and assimilate the nutrients from their food.

What Is Digestion And Assimilation?
The digestion and assimilation of food is accomplished by taking large pieces of foods and breaking them down into very
small molecules. These food molecules can then be absorbed into the blood and used by the body as nutrients. Many
people could benefit greatly by simply chewing their food more thoroughly. This is the most energy-efficient mechanical
action the body can take to break down food. After chewing, the body must expend a lot of energy producing acid and
alkaline digestive juices, digestive enzymes, and muscle contractions to break down the food. 50% of digestion should
take place in the mouth- by chewing food thoroughly. How many times have you seen people �inhale� their food almost
before the plate hits the table?

What Are Key Points To Good Digestion, Assimilation And Elimination?

There are four main criteria for optimum digestion and elimination:

1. The correct type and amount of digestive enzymes.

2. Adequate acidophilus and other �friendly� intestinal bacteria.

3. The correct pH (acid/base balance) in each area of the digestive tract (acidic in the stomach, alkaline in the small
intestine, neutral in the large intestine).

4. Having an adequate amount of fiber in the diet.

How Does Poor Digestion Cause Disease In The Body?

1. Nutritional Deficiencies.
Most significantly, a person who is not digesting their food well cannot obtain the optimum amount of nutrients from
their food that help rebuild, repair, and regenerate the body.

2. Fermentation/Decomposition.
Poor digestion also causes slower transit time of the food through the digestive tract. This prolonged transit time often
causes the food to ferment causing gas formation. After this, the fermenting foods begin to decompose or rot (causing
toxic chemical formation).

3. Self-Toxification/Colon Problems.
Another factor is a deficiency of fiber in the diet. A lack of fiber in the stools causes the feces to become sticky. This
combination of sticky, fermenting, and putrefied food produces toxins and �free-radicals�, which are absorbed into the
bloodstream and can create a lining of toxic residues and mucus which coats the lower intestinal tract. This toxic,
mucus plaque can contribute to numerous health conditions, such as diverticulitis, colitis, and other colon problems.
The symptoms associated with this �self-toxification� can include allergies, body aches, confusion, forgetfulness,
headaches, and decreased energy.

4. Leaky-Gut Syndrome/Food Allergies.
A serious condition associated with poor digestion is �leaky-gut� syndrome. Leaky Gut Syndrome occurs when foods
are not digested completely. Large, poorly digested protein molecules force their way through the gut wall into the
bloodstream. In the blood, instead of being delivered where needed as nutrients, these large proteins are recognized
incorrectly by the immune system as an invader from outside the body. The immune system then mounts an antigen-
antibody reaction, creating immune cells to attack the antigen. This is also known as having a food allergy attack.
I believe that a large majority of �food allergies� are simply due to poor digestion and this antigen-antibody reaction to
proteins in the bloodstream.

5. Liver/Kidney Stress & Skin Conditions.
By constantly allowing these toxins to enter the bloodstream, it also places stress on the liver (major organ of
detoxification) and kidneys (cleaners of the blood). If these organs become overworked, the skin will become an
organ of elimination and you will begin to see skin conditions appearing. Many skin conditions are caused or
contributed to by poor digestion and the resulting toxic environment of the intestinal tract.

6. Parasites/Yeast Infections.
Other conditions related to poor digestion and leaky-gut syndrome are parasite infections, which are more
common that one would expect, and Candida albicans (yeast) infection of the intestinal tract. All of these
conditions increase the toxic load on the body and have a negative effect on the immune system. People
are usually amazed by how many problems can be traced back to the underlying problems of poor digestion
and a toxic colon. It is even more amazing to see what happens when a person who was once toxic from the
previously described conditions chooses to use natural methods to detoxify, rebuild, and regenerate their body.
Many have described the process as getting �a second chance� or �having a new lease on life�. It is truly a joy
to be at ome in the body when it is functioning as intended.

What Are Biochemical Enzymes And Digestive Enzymes?
Enzymes are present in all living plant and animal cells. There are hundreds of kinds of biochemical enzymes
in the body, constantly keeping our body functioning properly. Enzymes are like the battery in a car. Without
the spark from the battery, even a brand new car won�t work. All life would cease to exist without enzymes,
for they a vital source of life energy. Enzymes are the primary motivators (catalyst) for all natural biochemical
(life) processes. Even though proteins, carbohydrates, fat and fiber are the building blocks of our bodies, they
do not possess the energy (capacity to do work) that enzymes possess, necessary for digesting foods, liberating
nutrients and assisting biochemical reactions.

Digestive enzymes, made by the pancreas, assist in digesting food we eat, making it small enough to pass
through the intestinal wall into the bloodstream. Despite obvious evidence of their importance, little thought is
given (in modern medicine) to the role digestive enzymes play in completing the digestion and assimilation
of nutrients. Plant-based enzymes (like those found in Ultimate Enzymes from The Health Nuts) work in the
entire digestive tract, in a wide range of acid and alkaline environments. They allow your body to replenish
and rebuild the pancreatic enzyme reserve, which takes a tremendous stress load off of the body. Taken with
food they greatly assist the body in the digestion and assimilation of food nutrients. Taken away from food,
digestive enzymes enter the bloodstream and act almost like a �second immune system�, digesting excess
proteins in the blood, scavenging debris, decreasing inflammation, removing mucous, and cellular waste.

How Do Digestive Enzymes Work?
When a person eats proteins, carbohydrates, and fat, the pancreas responds by secreting the proper amounts
and concentrations of protease, amylase, and lipase enzymes to digest the foods and transport their nutrients
into the bloodstream. Organic raw foods contain the proper types and concentrations of enzymes in their cells
to digest themselves (enzymes are responsible for aged fruit to rot or self-digest. Cooking or heating food kills
the enzymes found in live foods. Nature intended for the enzymes within rot foods to assist the body in digestion).
Eating organic produce adds little or no stress to the pancreas. Our bodies do not make the enzyme cellulose,
which breaks down plant fiber, however, a plant-source cellulose enzyme supplement is appropriate therapy for
certain conditions, such as green leafy vegetables intact in stools.

Do Organic Foods Contain More Enzymes?
Unfortunately, many commercially grown �live� foods have been genetically altered to make them contain fewer
enzymes. This allows these fruits and vegetables a longer shelf life. Haven�t you wondered how fruit and vegetables
at commercial grocery stores stay on the shelves so long without spoiling? This is the reason health food stores
usually have smaller produce stocks- they must sell and replace existing stock before the inherent enzymes
begin the self-digestive process.

How Does The Body Become Depleted Of Enzymes?
The body�s ability to make pancreatic enzymes can be exhausted by eating a diet devoid of naturally occurring
enzymes. This includes eating all types of cooked foods (enzymes are killed at 118 degrees), highly processed
foods, and commercially grown produce. Each of us is born with a pancreatic enzyme �reserve�, a reserve that
may be built up or depleted, but should not become depleted or overdrawn. Every time a person consumes
cooked or processed food (devoid of enzymes) and the pancreas can not keep up with the enzyme demand
placed on it, the digestive system recruits the enzyme supply from white blood cells (immune cells) to assist
in completing digestion. These are the same enzymes the white blood cells used to �kill� invading viruses and
bacteria. Mobilizing the body�s immune system every time enzyme deficient food s eaten is known as �digestive
leukocytosis�. This constant abuse can fatigue immune defense capabilities and lay the groundwork for
degenerative conditions in the body.

How Do I Know If I Am Enzyme Deficient?
General fatigue and chronic, degenerative conditions (every day aches and pains) are the only outward evidence
of enzyme deficiencies. Because the body donates enzymes from other areas of the body to meet existing needs
(such as the immune system), deficiencies do not become apparent until these reserves can no longer meet the
demand. It is extremely important then, to ensure that the body receives an dequate supply of enzymes, either
through the consumption of raw food or concentrated plant enzyme supplementation.

What Causes Gastritis And Ulcers?
In dealing with gastritis (stomach inflammation) and ulcerative conditions in the gastrointestinal tract, I have
found that poor digestion and mental/emotional stress factors are often contributing factors. When food is not
broken down (digested) well it ferments, putrefies (becomes rotten) and creates an acidic environment. This
acidity irritates the lining of the digestive tract. Many over-the-counter and pharmaceutical drugs irritate the
lining of the digestive tract and can contribute to ulcers forming. In dealing with ulcerative conditions you must
rule out a Helicobacter bacterial infection, an abnormal microorganism or parasitic infection.

Why Can�t Antacids Prevent Or Cure Acid Indigestion?
I have seen many patients with conditions of excessive acid stomach or acid indigestion, and often the person
is taking large amounts of antacids. A basic review of how the stomach works and an understanding how antacids
help create the problem are all most people need, along with some digestive enzymes, to stop the problem.
The problem is the body producing too much acid in the stomach. The stomach makes acid to break down proteins.
If there is poor digestion, or if a person eats large meals or excessive proteins, the body can often make too much
acid. To counteract the acid, people take antacids. This makes the stomach very alkaline. In order to create an acid
environment again in the stomach the body has to make more- you guessed it- acid, which was the problem in the
first place. This cycle of poor chewing (50% of digestion should take place in the mouth), poor digestion, and the
acid/alkaline roller coaster can be reduced or avoided by chewing food well, and taking digestive enzymes with your
meal. Many people think antacids are a good source of calcium. Unfortunately, this is not true. In order for calcium
to be fully absorbed into the body, it must be assimilated in an acidic environment. Antacids, like their name says,
provide a very alkaline environment, which would prevent the proper uptake of calcium. When a state of balance is
maintained by optimum digestion, the body is better able to prevent chronic health problems such as hypo or
hyperglycemia; fatigue; headaches; candida; constipation/diarrhea; arthritis; allergies; infections or other conditions
caused by a compromised immune system. Remember: You are not what you eat. You are what you eat, digest
and assimilate.

http://betterdigestion.4all.cc

FOW Offline
Great post. As many symptoms are treated. But the cause is rarely discussed
I sutter from food and enviromental allergies or "candidas". I take Vitamins-A,C.E, selenium,calcium, magnesium,acidophilus and co-enzyme Q10 on a regular basis.Occasional colon cleanse & golden seal. Better for me than the steroids and antibiotics suggested.
When threatened with a cold. Peppermint tea is great when handy. Otherwise, I consume onions and garlic to ward off colds and infections as well.

R
R
Hello,everyone!

Let me tell you what I have observed as a holistic healer. I use manipulation to relieve chronic aches and pains, everything from tension to inflammation. The result is a healing session that feels like a relaxing massage.

For tension-like pains, I like to; 1)loosen the joints around the painful area, 2) relax the tissues surrounding the painful area, 3)aid circulation to and from the painful area so that the pain dissolutes into the bloodstream.

For inflammation-like pains, the process is frequently similar,except that I usually use provocative motions to directly draw the inflammation to my touch. I find that if you can attract it, you can control it better, and hence are better able to lead it out of the body.

Another technique for inflammation stems from the general rule that inflammation is a sign that the body wants to eliminate toxins/irritants. Relieving inflammation can require an investigation into what exactly the irritant is
(and believe me, it could be anything). Combatting the inflammation,in and of itself, is not a long-term solution and can be counterproductive.

If you feel pain concentrated around a certain joint,see a chiropractor. By adjusting the joint,pain can be relieved. Imagine an object sitting on a chair. Tip the chair slightly to the side and the object goes flying. (of course, this is a major oversimplification).

If you have a question about this,feel free to send me a personal message. (Roma5)

For re-occuring Yeast Canida which I suffered from for years, I followed a Candida Yeast Diet which calls for eliminating all sugars, most starches including potatoes, rice, and other foods.

In addition I took several nutritional supplement (like Vitamin C) and herbs (like Pau D'Arco) to help strenghen my immune system and get rid of the Yeast Candida out of my system. Thankfully, after suffering from Yeast Candida for many years I was able to get rid of it by following this program.

The exact diet I followed can be found here:
http://www.womans-health.net/candida_yeast_diet1.htm

And for the most part, the supplements that worked for me are written up in more detail here: http://www.womans-health.net/candida_yeast_relief.htm

I hope this is of help to someone.

Summer

[color:"red"]Hire A Ghost Writer[/color] - Or Find Freelance Writing Jobs

[color:"red"]Webmaster Trading Zone[/color]- Buy, Sell, Trade

[color:"red"]Women's Breast Health Awareness Month [/color]- Get Free Advice From Health Researchers During Breast Health Awareness Month
Gecko
Gecko
I've had food and environmental allergies since I was a kid, my food allergies include wheat, rice, dairy and soy (yeah, that'd be EVERYTHING!), environmental include ragweed (no echinacea for me, it makes me violently allergic), dog dander (but not cats), many artificial scents (perfume puts me over the edge), and petroleum-based glycerine (that'd be just about every type of commercially available soap, shampoo and toothpaste). I've taken the homeopathic approach to curing myself, introducing small amounts into my system almost like vaccines. It works pretty well, although if I end up with a winter cold or something along those lines, I have to cut back to my "hunter-gatherer" diet of fruits, veggies, nuts, eggs and organic meat... I don't eat starches, dairy or tubers. I take psyllium husks twice daily for fiber. I use peppermint tea for menstrual pain. I think the fact that I've never had a yeast infection (not even thrush as a kid) is due to my low starch and sugar intake. I take Emergen-C twice daily for vitamin C and other vitamins, as well as a multi-vitamin containing extra folic acid once daily. When I lived in upstate NY, I'd take St. John's Wort from November to May to stave off Seasonal Affective Disorder, but there's so much more light in the winter in Louisiana that I don't need it all winter, only during the stressful holidays. As far as diet and vitamins go, I'm pretty darn healthy, my big problem is excercize.... I just don't do much of it. I have to trick myself into it, I intentionally write my grocery list all jumbled up and follow it in order.... even if I'm standing right there by the eggs, I still have to walk all the way to the onions and then all the way back to the eggs, and so forth.

S
S
I am fighting obesity and am following the vitamin and mineral regement in the "Prescription for Nutritional Healing"

Moderated by  Teresa - Holistic Health 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.