logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152192 10/09/03 09:43 PM
OP Offline
Yesterday as I was walking through the yard something flew into my head. I flicked it off not really paying attention to what it was. Then another hit my head, my shirt, my shoulder. Then all of a sudden it hit me (mentally that is)....OK, now imagine the sound of "Psycho" knife attack music and the background around me suddenly zooming away and a close up of my face, then mouth, then inside of my open mouth as I scream "Asian beetles!!!!!! Aaaahhhhh!!!!" and run screaming into the house, slamming the door behind me, leaning, gasping for breath against it, knowing there's no escape, because soon they will even infiltrate the walls of my house. Ladybugs, as some people call them. Cute, little, crawling, flying, swarming ladybugs. Everywhere!

Do any of you get swarmed by these in the fall? They really teem this time of year outside. Then when the cold hits, we'll find them on our ceilings, in corners, on our lights, in our windows, by the hundreds. I have not found a bug spray that kills them yet. I vaccuum them constantly. If I smash one, then it stains whatever it was on and stinks. I even have to empty the vaccuum bag or it will stink. Are these a problem anywhere else in the country. I heard they were brought in to kill aphids (I think) and have reproduced like crazy (an introduced intrusive species). Does anyone have a solution other than putting up with them until spring?

Mmmmmmmmmmm....Baps
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#152193 10/10/03 04:10 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Lois, Those lady bugs are really a very friendly and benificial creature. LOL But, I can understand why having them in the house would not be desirable. In the fall they gather in large numbers to find a place to "winter over". I have seen swarms of them in the 10s of thousands in Arizona. And no, I don't have any solutions to your problem. Maybe someone else will.

Rose

#152194 10/12/03 07:09 PM
OP Offline
I'm sure they are quite friendly, as most insects are. But it's no fun to be sitting on the couch or at the table and have them drop from the ceiling into your dinner or find them floating in your hot chocolate, etc. They are already along the edge of the ceiling. Just to give you an idea of how many we'll have in our house....last year I counted over 60 on our ceiling fan pull in the living room. That's 60 just on the little wooden pull hanging from the ceiling fan. Never mind all of them that were on the ceiling fan, in the light, and everywhere else.

Today on our way back from Snowshoe, we were listening to "Prairie Home Companion". Garrison Kheeler(sp?) was talking about them in Minnesota. He was saying "Thank God for those long winter freezes, or else we'd be taken over by insects." The total body mass of insects far out exceeds ours.

A few years back, in a neighboring county a large mass of rock fell from a cliff along a roadway. Underneath it were millions of these Asian Beetles. They didn't know if they had caused the rock fall, by moving tiny fragments of sand and rock or what, but it was pretty weird.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....Baps
#152195 10/12/03 07:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lois, did you get my e-mail about the ladybugs?

Marian

#152196 10/13/03 07:29 PM
OP Offline
Yes, Marian, I did get your e-mail. It was really cool. I thought it was interesting about the beetles looking for cliffs. That explains the cliff incident I mentioned in my post.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....Baps

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.