Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello, I was checking out your site as I like flowers but know very little about them. When you wrote articles about certain flowers, I was interested to know what they look like. Maybe you could post some pictures of the flowers in your article, or link to pictures online. I would love to see the flowers you're describing!

Also, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for floral design for weddings. I am getting married soon and I don't have a large budget. I am looking for pretty yet relatively inexpensive flowers. I believe my color scheme will be light perfect (lavendar, lilac) and white, with a bit of dark purple (violet) for contrast. I was thinking of white lillies, lilacs, and violets, but most of these are expensive. Do you have any better ideas or suggestions? -Anita

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hello Anita,
Pictures are a great idea. I'll follow your suggestion.
The color scheme you've chosen for your wedding sounds lovely. If the white lilacs and violets are available, they will be very expensive, since they are out of season.
To keep the costs down, you might want to choose seasonal flowers. They're more affordable.
Seasonal ones for July-August that are available in white and purple/lavender include agapanthus, alstroemeria, calla, dahlia, mums, gladiolus, hydrangea, lisianthus, phlox, scabiosa, snapdragons, statice, sweet peas, and waxflower.
The book on wedding flowers I reviewed had wonderful examples of summer arrangements using roses, stock, bellflower, and sweet peas. For roses, you could substitute something more affordable like lisianthus.
If you are having a traditonal wedding, you need so many kinds of arrangements. That is what will drive up the cost. For certain ones of these you might be able to substitute inexpensive items. Instead of an expensive centerpiece, use a miniature rose in a pot or a fern. Instead of using lots of floral arrangements at the reception, buy or rent indoor foliage plants. These are lush and impressive without being as expensive.
Why don't you go to a florist and explain what your budget is, and ask what they can do within that price range in the colors you've chosen? Then they could show you samples of the flowers and tell you what they could provide for that.

Good luck.

Bella Online Floral Design host
Connie

Love takes time...
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Good on you for recommending agapanthus, it's one of my favorites. Also in the lavender/purple scale is freesia, carnations (yes I know carnations, but they come in some great shades now and if you use them as a filler rather than a focal flower you get alot of color on the cheap), iris, delphinium, spray roses, orchids, lupine, dianthus, larkspur, monkshood, etc.
Also, for centerpieces try just petals or heads off of daisies, polished river stones, floating candles, I've also done weddings where the bride had goldfish or beta fish in glass bowls with colored stones. Do your research and make sure you knw what you want before you go to the florist but be flexible. Know that you may set your heart on something only to find out its not available. I know that sweetpeas were mentioned before, as a florist in New England I can't get those anymore in July.
Don't settle, see a few different florists and get price quotes from all of them. Be sure to ask about delivery and other sneaky fees that may get slipped in there. Also, if you have time, go into the shop the day before to see your flowers, some florists get antsy bout this, but it prevents upsets later when you realize that your purple irises are dutch blue.
Hopefully this helped some and congratulations on your engagement =]

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.