Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146209 05/24/03 06:10 PM
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Well, we're all getting ready to bite the art house film bullet in a big way here. The entire Cremaster Cycle is playing at the Castro Theater here in San Francisco for the next two weeks.

I'll be seeing them in the order they manage to be seen in, which apparently shouldn't hurt my viewing experience at all. It'll be #3 first up, as that is playing solo all the first week. It's three hours long and involves reproduction/evolution, the Guggenheim, a variety of Apprentices, performance art, and lots of stunning visuals with almost no dialogue.

My roommate and I are debating bringing pillows to make the seats more comfy.

Artsy after-comments to follow....

- Rae

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#146210 05/25/03 04:08 PM
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Ok, one movie down, four to go...

Cremaster 3 was just completed, yet is the middle film in the series of five. It has taken the last eight years for Barney to make this film. The rest of the series will be shown starting in a week.

The first part of the film follows the Entered Apprentice, played by writer/director Matthew Barney, as he scales the Crysler Building to the Masonic Cloud Club at the top. The interiors of this building and club are stunning, all inlays and Art Deco.

Like Barney's performance art, there is a lot of literal climbing. Cars smash another car to bits in the lobbey. Mafia-like men engage in secret handshakes and rituals. Para-Olympic athelete Amy Mullins chops potatoes with special prosthetic legs.

There was an old fashioned intermission in the middle of the three hours. It was a nice break. You could tell by the conversation that everyone was really just waiting to see what happened next.

The second part of the film was set primarily in the Guggenheim Museum, where the Entered Apprentice was again climbing the structure. Amy Mullins appeared as a cheetah with really cool prosthetics! One level of the museum was Agnostic Front vs. Murphy's Law, with a big slam circle between the two bands. Richard Serra was pouring melted Vaseline down a slot that ran along the edge of the museum ramps.

Great visuals and use of color. Great music, with lots of different cultural sounds. I can't really say how this fits in as the middle of the series, as I have to see the rest of it to see just where this fits into the evolutionary storyline.

- Rae

Moderated by  Angela - Drama Movies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.