Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
#144503 11/23/05 11:19 AM
Gecko
Gecko
Michelle,
You have to do what you have to do....however, I just want to say something, the feeling of despair that you feel is not because of this debate; it's because you (like me) feel discouraged that someone can contunue to be stubborn and unmovable against God and His unending love for us. I mean, how can anyone continue to turn away from the truth of His Word? I don't undertand it myself. That's why I continue to come back to the same point with K. So close but so far....It's a real pet peeve with me when someone trys to intellectualize the Bible. Because I don't feel God's love for me on an intellectual level. It's emotional. And thats where the walls always seem to come up....why can't everyone just let down their prideful intellectual walls that they hide behind and find the Lord waiting for them there???

K, no one is saying you don't beleive in God....on the contrary, I feel that your faith in God is strong, you have just been reading only a part of the story...like Paul harvey says, "Now, for the REST of the story..." Stop tearing down God's Word.....you aren't more intellegent or better than God...read Job, I feel this book has been written just for peopel like you who think they know more about God....stop letting semantics be a stumbling block for you and open your heart to the father, the Son and the Holy Spirit....you will be pleasantly surprised.

As for this whole discussion....I think we've established that the Holy Bible IS the divine Word of God. That no matter what all of our different opinions might be, the holiness of God's Word can't be duplicated or mocked...the Bible has stood the test of time. It has been translated into so many different languages and distributed almost all over the world. Muslims and Jews and other people of other religions have read it and are reading it and the one conclusion that they have to come to is always that they feel it IS God's Word, they may not agree it is the SOLE Word of God, but it IS the Word of God. So the question that Lady Valkirie asked 1 year ago has been answered.....the Bible IS GODS WORD......indisputably....now it's up to you....if God speaks to you will you listen and obey Him or will you rebelliously turn away??? This is the end result....your obedience. God doesn't change...He stands at the door and knocks, will you answer?

I think this discussion is finished...I will leave this strand open thru Thanksgiving weekend, but after that it will be closed.

JESUS DOESN'T HOLD UP A STANDARD, HE HOLDS UP A MIRROR AND SAYS REFLECT ME!
Jenna Robinson
Bella Online Bible Basics
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#144504 11/23/05 03:22 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Sooo, back to the original question: I'm half-Jewish, half-Quaker, I was raised with primarily Quaker beliefs, although we celebrate lots of holidays (that's the best part about being multifaith-the holidays-I'm only half kidding). Anyhow, because the essence of the Quaker viewpoint is that you must decide for yourself about the Bible, interpreting it yourself and with the help of other Friends and scholars, and you must ultimately come to God on your own terms.

My personal belief about the Bible is that it is a wonderful piece of folklore which has huge historical implications, if you can look past things. Starting near the beginning, I believe that the conflict between Cain and Abel was a folkloric retelling of a conflict between the agricultural Aryans and the pastoral Semites. Those who bear the mark of Cain are descendents of the very earliest Aryan tribes, who were much whiter than other tribes around them. I believe that the mark of Cain means white skin, and if white-skinned people haven't caused some suffering, than I don't know who has. Anyhow, that's just a basic, easy-to-tell example.

If you read the Torah in Hebrew and match it up with the parts of the Bible that have been translated from it, you get huge discrepancies, I'm afraid. You also lose a lot of essential stuff by not being able to read the Bible in its original languages... for example, any Hebrew speaker knows that Adam means Man and Eve means Life. Think about the ramifications of that! They're huge! I'm a translator by training (I was a modern languages major in College), so I have a pretty firm grasp on which translation liberties are okay to take, and which aren't. Go debate some Genesis with a Jew sometime, and you'll discover that you're actually arguing about different things, simply because the translation is so off.

#144505 11/29/05 12:35 AM
Gecko
Gecko
Interesting comments Megan, I would LOVE to sit with someone who can translate the Torah and the Latin manuscripts of te Bible to grasp the whole meaning of God's Word....but I don't think the question is really the validity of the Bible but rather the divinity...

but I still stand behind the validity of the Bible...I try to not get all mixed up in semantics..and from my experience it's been scholarly people who argue semanitcs instead of studying the meaning behind the words....the heart message is what I relate to most....but I would find it interesting....thanks for your two cents worth...:)

Jenna Robinson
#144506 11/29/05 12:55 AM
S
S
Hi, I am new I was wondering is this the forum for parents of children with Autism and Fragile X or have I wondered to far from my google search? I am a Christian so I felt most comfortable asking here. Thank you. Just for the record you need to be very careful of what you take literally out of the bible. I was watching a special on Mel Gibson "The Passion" movie director. I wasn't focused on who killed Jesus and it wasn't just just the Jews, he died for all of our sins. He Had to die so that we would be saved. Does it really matter who wanted him to die and who didn't because I can garrentee that not all of the Jews wanted him dead and not just Jews wanted him dead either. Sorry if I seem like I am ranting. I don't mean to offend or step on toes. This topic is important to me.

Last edited by SaraXAE; 11/29/05 01:09 AM.
#144507 11/29/05 08:39 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Welcome Sara!

Yes we do have a forum on here for Autism Spectrum Disorders. Just go to the main menu look under health & fitness and you'll find the Autism site, and I believe we did have a discussion or two on the fragile X syndrome (I have a child with Asperger's myself). But that should show you all the topics we have discussed.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
#144508 11/29/05 02:04 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Welcome Sara,

You can come in here and ask any question you like...lol.... as for the Passion, I think it was a group of Jewish people who thought the movie would start a whole new anti Jewish movement around the world by portraying the Jewish people at the time shouting to crucify Jesus in the movie....Most Christians understand that it was mainly the Sanhedrien and the Pharisees of that time that wanted him dead...not the entire Jewish community....as such the movie was released and the only people we heard say antying about this subject was the Jewish people who were worried and the media who are always looking for a scandal....no anti semitism movement materialized.....and the movie still ahd the same effect on peoples hearts all around the owrld...

Last edited by BiblBasixEditor; 11/29/05 02:08 PM.

Jenna Robinson
#144509 12/05/05 08:53 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Quote:
secondly yes the Quran states that Jesus is not a diety. Infact the bible states this too. Jesus never claimed to be anything more than a prophet but people after him made this claim such as paul.
Jesus was nothing more than a man and nothing less. HOwever he was one of the best prophets of God.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. What came to be through him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:1-4

This is the prologue of the Gospel of John. It speaks of the hypostatic union of Jesus--true God and true man. Jesus is the Word made flesh. To say that the Bible doesn't speak of Jesus' divinity is incorrect.

There are many other verses as well that speak to Jesus' divinity.

Wine Host, Italian Food, Library Sciences Host
#144510 01/16/06 12:53 AM
M
M
ZULU72101 You are correct verymuch.
If I may share my finding with you . Read this:
Is consider as false preaching.
It is written, it must be known.
None of the so called Christian Churches teaches the Word of GOD,
The way GOD commended. [ they ignore ] many important
commandments , such as : 1Corinthians 3:16-17 1Corinthians 6:15-20
Act 7-48 Act 17-24
This false teachers are guilty according to Revelation 22:18-19
And this will happen to them on judgment day read: Matthew 7:22-23
If they just teach the Word of GOD , according to His Will,
This world will be a better place to live in.
But satan ( uses-inspire- dictate ) the Christian Churches
to mislead mankind.
For the benefit of satan the devil himself , satan don�t want us to know
that we are GODS TEMPLE , because it is unmistakable clear that
satan can not enter GODS HOLLY TEMPLE. Simple as that.

(Galatians
> > 1:8). This verse means that if anyone, even an angel, preaches
> > anything that is different than the true gospel, they shall be
> cursed
> > and we are not to accept it. We are always to test the spirits (1
> > John 4:1-3). This is one of the reasons why there are so many
cults
> > in the world today; people disregard this verse.

Last edited by matthew24; 01/16/06 02:54 PM.
#144511 05/28/06 02:50 AM
Shark
Shark
My friend thankyou for your reply.

I am afraid your not getting the idea.
Firstly you mentioned that muslims are blowing each other up.
The scripture in Islam is clearly against such actions so any so called muslim that participates in terrorism or suicide is not following the rules of Islam. This kind of act is not acceptible in Islam or any other religion. It is a shame they act on the name of a religion while not following its rules!

Secondly you mentioned you dont believe in Allah as being God but you mention that you believe in the bible!!
Do you know what Allah means?? obviously not!
IN the old testemant the majority of times, the word for God is Eloheem. The Hebrew word meaning the most high.
However the word Eloheem is a word in plural sense. The singular form would be Eloh.
The reason the plural form is used is because it donates a status of respect for the mentioned name in Hebrew.
The word Eloh means "the most high".

Why not ask our friend who speaks hebrew also.
The word used for God in aramiac is ALLAHA. also meaning the most high. and the word used in arabic is ALLAH - ALSO MEANING THE MOST HIGH!!!!
Get your facts straight my brother.

Also you mention you do not follow a religion but you follow Christ.
Im not even gonna bother replying this. My previous posts say enough.
What i dont understand is. how can christians scholars admit that the bible is of doubtful authenticity and Christians not accept this!

"The best apology is the one given before the grief" The prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)
#144512 05/28/06 03:25 AM
C
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
C
Hello all I just want to say I am enjoying reading this thread. I am very young spiritually and feel I am not ready to add to this debate but your opinions are quite interesting and Kibrisli7 you make some valid points....very interesting indeed.

I have just come back from watching the divinchi code at the pictures and it was a very good movie.It really gets you thinking and I am glad I went to see it.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.