logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142893 09/05/04 01:25 PM
OP Offline
Hi to you all, I am first generation Australian, with an Irish Mother(mmmmmmmmmmmm aaaren't they the Best)
the is it just me that i was refering to though was , i dont know if i am the only one but does anyone reading this forum read it in their heads with an accent?maybe its just the way irish folk type without punctuation, i am always getting into trouble from my friends for talking whole chapters of conversation without stopping for the necessities like breathing lol? but maybe i have just realised its not me at all? maybe in fact its an Irish thing? this is a kind of accident me getting on this site at all, as i was looking up something completely seperate on the internet and here i am, but as we all know these things are never purely accidental at all, its the little people that push us in the right direction, ok now i am freaking out because i am starting to think in my head with an accent and i am an aussie, i dont have an accent unless i am saying oy oy oy at the end of things lol (just a little olympics reference) anyway have a great day and i will drop by again this is a very interesting site to visit
bye

The Past is the Past, The Present is a Gift!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#142894 09/06/04 11:49 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Well tashapasha, it was absolutely no accident that you came to visit us here! (Was it Doonie?---Doonie, or Dunesbury, is our resident Crone, wise woman with a past, present, and future.) Your accent is not put on. If you have an Irish mammy (yes, the very best kind, the ultimate mums!), it's the first sound you heard and it will never leave you. (If you go lurking around on the links, the Irish Poetry and Verse one, you will see where I recently wrote about little poems bringing back big memories, and the voice that recited them to you. The treasured sound of the loved ones who would take the time to talk to a child.) Your writing, we're talking about stream of consciousness there...you, me, James Joyce, and a couple of others. It's a fine way to write IMHO. It's a true voice and it belongs to you and not the oh-so-proper English teacher who tried to mold you in his/her idea of rightness.
There's not much here in the forum yet. We're all kind of new to this group, but I have high hopes for its evolution.
You're very welcome, and do come back with the news of the day and all. The are no accidents.
Slan,
Mary Ellen

#142895 09/17/04 10:11 AM
The Dune just read these postings and would like to say that she had an Irish mother whose face would darken if she spoke in anything other than in full and perfectly parsed sentences. The only stream of consciousness I could ever indulge in was to posit it as a series of existential questions, which my mother then expected me to answer, with total grammatic accuracy.

When I slip into the vernacular, dropping my r's, and so forth, I hear her correcting me from far, far away. Sometimes I even listen!

Moderated by  Bee - IrishCulture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.