logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I am a primary teacher of 3-4 year old Sunbeams and the lessons on families are coming up in a few weeks. There is a child in my class whose parents recently divorced. I am concerned about how to teach that families can be together forever and share the gratitude I have for my family situation without pouring salt on the wound for this child. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Maybe that's because the things you're teaching do not necessarily reflect the way the things are in real life?

I'm curious as to what you would determine is real life. I would disagree with that statement. Because I do believe that what is being taught is real life. Families can be forever...divorced or not. I grew up in a divorced family and there are challenges that come from understanding how eternity can effect you. But what a strength those teachings were to me throughout my life, especially when I was struggling with my parents divorce.

As to the teacher looking for ways to teach those principles without offending that child. I think that it is a comfort to know that your family can be forever. Children in time will understand what happens here and mistakes that adults make. But it is always something that they can believe they can have for themselves. Unfortunately I am not a good teacher of primary, but I know that for me growing up it was a comfort and I am grateful for what my teacher taught me. I have always held to it. And today in my own life with a struggling marriage at times I hold on to the knowledge that I can have those things if I am willing to do what it takes. It gets me through many a difficult time.

Dear Shellie,

First of all, you are to be commended for being so sensitive with your Primary children and in considering their needs.

Second of all, families can be together forever. That is the reality for which we all strive.

Third, none of us is perfect. Therefore, we need the Savior's path to attain the promises given.

Fourth, we can only be responsible for personal choices, not the choices of others (as hard as that is to adjust to in this life!).

So in summary, I would teach the doctrine, letting the children know that Jesus loves them and wants them to have a happy family forever. He wants them to choose the right and be a "sunbeam" for others. Also, teach them that others (perhaps even those in their own family) need help remembering these things. Promise them what the prophets have promised throughout the ages: those who love Jesus and who try to follow him *will* be helped in this life and rewarded in the next.

Remind all the children that we are to help everyone in our families, and that sometimes things don't make sense right away, but God promises that for those who love him, he will turn all things to their good (Romans 8:28).

Finally, you will receive guidance as you pray for guidance. It sounds like you are a wonderful teacher. :-)

For additional idea, you may want to visit Robin Salazar's site "Teaching LDS" for some great ideas. Here's the link: http://www.bellaonline.com/site/teachinglds

Happy teaching!

C.S. Bezas
LDS Host
http://www.bellaonline.com/site/lds
BellaOnline.com

MM Offline
Shark
Shark
I was in the Primary presidency when the theme was about families being forever. We focused on how the children could someday be part of a forever family. They can make that choice to go to the temple when they grow up and that's what we talked about. When one child asked me about his own family, I just told him that some people marry in the temple when they first get married, but some people don't become forever families for a long time. I assured him it would be okay if he got his forever family later. I trust God to work things out so no one is in the Celestial Kingdom alone without someone who loves him.

Moderated by  C.S. Bezas, LDS Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.