Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Hi, Chris. I've got Windows ME with Microsoft Word 2000 - don't like Word 2000 all that much, I think I prefer good old Word 97 which I know fairly well now.

Problem is I've just had a new hard drive put on the PC and Word is insisting on starting up with that awful splash screen which I never figured out how to get rid of. I've got rid of Clippit - that was simple enough - and I've got the menus so they unroll properly but do you have any idea how to get rid of the splash screen? There isn't an option under "splash" in the Help index - just looked - nor under the various Startup headings - looked there too. Any ideas?

NB it is just Microsoft Word - I didn't let the engineer put on the Home Publishing Suite 2000 because I had about worked out that that was one of the things conflicting with Paint Shop Pro which I prefer anyway.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hi Gillian,

There is no option within the Word program to "opt" out of the splash screen ... but that doesn't mean there isn't a way to do it ... give me a couple of days to look through my resources to see what I can come up with.

I didn't find much difference between Word 97 and Word 2000 ... but big differences with Word 2002. Some I like, some I don't. One of the areas where there are enhancements is Tables and I really appreciate the enhancements because I use tables alot. If there are any questions you have about the new version ... ask away <G>

I've go Publisher on this new computer but haven't ventured to learn it yet ... and I am right now taking a class in PSP. I agree PSP is a great program ... so much you can do with it.

I promise I will get back to you before a few days on the splash screen thing.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Thanks, Chris!
The other question I have is re Klez. I've noticed it's on the rise again adn has changed its characteristics so you can't spot it yourself.

I have been checking e-mail on Yahoo Web but of course Norton thinks it's a web page and doesn't recognise it as incoming e-mail. Would I be better just to download everything into Outlook Express and let Norton check that way? Virus definitions are up to date by the way - new hard drive installed this week and updated Norton at once before I went fully online.

Gillian
Yes Klez is still highly active out there and I believe we will see more of it's kind and more and more obscure ... if you have Norton AntiVirus 2002 and have AutoProtect and Script Blocking enabled, you should be protected from web based virus protection as well. Norton will alert you. I know it works because I have seen it stop something on my computer when I landed on a dirty web site.

Hi Gillian
You need to have service pack #1 or 1a installed for this to work in Word 2000. It works also in Word XP.

If you have a shortcut on your desktop or launch bar, right click on the shortcut and select properties. On the shortcut tab of the properties dialog box, you will see a "Target" field that will display the path to the shortcut. The path will be enclosed in quotes. Go to the end of the path outside of the closing quotation mark. Type a single space then /q ... the q should be lowercase. Click on OK then launch Word to see if the splash screen goes away. This is not necessarily the same technique for other programs ... if you try it in visio it makes something else go away LOL! Let me know if it works for you.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Hi, Chris,

Thanks for your replies - your help is much appreciated.

I don't think I have the Service Packs - my computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 with Windows ME and Microsoft Word 2000 only on it. I don't have any service pack disks in my collection.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I had actually manually set up a shortcut on my desktop and tried your suggestion - I'm afraid it didn't work so I'll have to live with it. Many thanks again for helping out though. I'm most grateful to you for your advice.

Gillian ...
I can give you directions on how to download the service packs for Word if you are interested ... then you could remove the splash screen ...BUT...sometimes when you install service packs they raise other problems so that's a decision you have to make. If all is working well and the only annoyance is the splash screen then you may just want to learn to like it <G>

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I think I will leave things as they are, thanks all the same. My PC hard drive had to be replaced at the beginning of last week following six weeks of hell with two complete reformats and reinstallations in a row - I really don't want to go through anything like that again! But I'm very grateful to you for your help and advice.

Your welcome mam ... any time I can help ... just ask.

Moderated by  Laura - DTP/Ebooks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.