logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#134443 06/12/02 11:18 PM
OP Offline
Do you use a firewall? I am using a cable modem and was told that a firewall is essential. I am using Zone Alarm (freebie) but don't really know how to use it effectively. Maybe it is effectively but I don't know much about them; how to set them up; how to make my pc more secure.

Any suggestions?

Angie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#134444 06/14/02 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angie:
[qb]Do you use a firewall? I am using a cable modem and was told that a firewall is essential. I am using Zone Alarm (freebie) but don't really know how to use it effectively. Maybe it is effectively but I don't know much about them; how to set them up; how to make my pc more secure.

Any suggestions?

Angie[/qb]
Hi Angie,
You were told correctly with a cable modem your system is always on, so a firewall is quite important. I do not use the Norton Firewall that is on my system because I am behind a router and it interfers with our network. Let me do a little bit of research for you through my sources and get back to you in a day or so with some recommendations.

Chris

#134445 06/15/02 05:59 PM
Angie,

I've done a fair amount of research and the program you chose to download has a good reputation for solid protection for a "freebee". Without seeing the program, it's hard to know what options are offered for effective use or what options you chose as you were setting it up. Have you experienced messages warning you of potentially unsafe access? That's a sure sign it's working properly to protect you. I did see also that there is "advertisments" to put up with ... if you consider a purchased program, I would recommend Norton Internet Security.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help. Perhaps you could describe what options are offered in the program.

HTH

#134446 06/15/02 08:10 PM
I use Zone Alarm and it's been a excellent, effective piece of software with little configuration. It will ask you questions if it encounters a situation where you haven't completed configuration. I've tried using Norton Internet Security on my Windows 2000 server and it would just hang, never reaching the desktop. I'd have to go into Safe Mode to remove it just so I could get my server back up.

#134447 06/15/02 11:25 PM
OP Offline
I guess the problem with the freebie Zone Alarm is that you don't know who or what is trying to penetrate the system. The purchased product give you more information. Periodically, the program will ask me is I want my program to access the internet and that includes my e-mail program!

I have a lot set for no access and generally I don't get many popups asking me for permissions.

Not knowing what is trying to invade makes me wonder what is happening. Some of the terminology throws me also.

McAfee firewall that came with my virus scan update hung my PC and I too had to go into safe mode and delete the program.

#134448 06/17/02 01:09 AM
We have four machines here, two XP one 98 and one 2000 I think on a cable modem using a hub. You REALLY need a firewall if you're on a cable modem, it was simply amazing how many hacker hits we got as soon as we went on the cable modem. They think of your computer as always on, free high speed storage for their warez files and so on.

But as soon as we put the hub on, the attacks pretty much stopped completely. The hub prevented them from getting to our computers. And it's a wireless hub which I love to no end, I can wander all over the house with my laptop.

But anyway, both XP boxes have Norton Firewall on them anyway, just in case. We haven't had any difficulties at all with it, and with my game testing I've done all sorts of really bizarre on line games in all sorts of configurations. We have the full Norton Antivirus, Norton Utilities and Norton Firewall and they've all been working like a charm.

P. Pureheart

Moderated by  Allison_PCAdvice 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.