logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#115819 10/04/02 11:41 AM
OP Offline
I was reading somewhere that a phenomonal percentage of people have worked in McDonalds at some point in their life. I guess it's an easy job to 'learn how to work' in.

My first job was doing clerical and computer work at a small computer company near my home. I remember the storage devices they used were these giant tapes that were bigger than a dinner plate around. You would have to hit a button on the computer, have it "eject" one of these and then put in a new one when you wanted to switch projects.

P. Pureheart
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
My first job was as a clerk/receptionist at a medical laboratory. Everything was typed by hand. Wow, that makes me feel old.

It's funny you should mention those big storage tapes. The job I had right before my current position was in the accounting department of a company that serviced similar large disk packs. The company eventually went under since newer computers had no need for the giant disk packs.

OP Offline
I remember writing a paper for high school on a typewriter and every time I made a typo I had to try to fix it, and if I screwed up a bunch of words I had to retype the entire page again. What a mess!!

P. Pureheart
Gecko
Gecko
My first paying job was babysitting.....my first outside-the-house job was in college (I went to high school out of the country) = I worked at FedEx (when it was a tiny company) looking for overweight and oversized packages on the MOVING conveyor belts....

~*~KATE~*~
OP Offline
I know people out here in college that worked for UPS and they said it was *brutal*! It was solid hours of moving boxes at a super fast speed. It sounds at least like yours was semi-sane!

P. Pureheart
Gecko
Gecko
Yep, "semi-sane" is accurate!! FedEx was still very much a "baby" and their package volume at that time was pretty low - I was offloading Falcon jets!!! (small!) I stayed long enough to see them hit 1 million packages and then, 2 million. My brother hired on right before I left and he is STILL with them!! He has lived and travelled all over with FedEx - now he is living in Anchorage, AK....his first jobs were Wal-Mart (unloading trucks) and FedEx. He made a great "choice" between the two when the time was right....

~*~KATE~*~
OP Offline
How does he enjoy Anchorage? I *loved* that area when I went to visit it a few years ago, it was just so pretty! The mountains were amazing. But I imagine about now it's getting pretty cold ...

P. Pureheart
M
Koala
Koala
M
My first job was at an insurance company where I was a policy typist. It was so exciting to have an electric typewriter because in school, we had to learn on manual ones.

A couple of years ago, when I was looking for a part time job to help cover the leftover bills from my other job, I thought about McDonalds, but instead ended up at the YMCA/YWCA.

Mavis
Gecko
Gecko
Lisa,
My brother lived in WI for several years as a de-icer for FedEx. He visited AK several times before relocating and I honestly have not seen him SO happy. He takes beautiful photos and enjoys hiking, hunting and the like....

~*~KATE~*~
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Bella Family:

This is an oldie wink but thought it would be a good topic for today.

My first job was working in a department store back in Jamaica, West Indies at age 12. I was so happy to be able to have my own cash.

Now your turn...

Thank you,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.